Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zx10 engine position
Rosco86

posted on 1/1/15 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Zx10 engine position

I've posted this on my build thread but thought I would pop it in here to

Just been looking at engine position and I'm sort of happy with this current position

Running the engine dead inline it seems to put the output shaft in a good position

If I turn the engine so it's parallel to the outer chassis rail it just skews the output shaft but doesn't improve the position for the prop
And from what I've read it's better for the flanges to be parallel

In this position the total prop length would be 1460mm but I could move the engine back 50mm if I moved the passenger footwell upright back

I have strung a ling between and it's at an angle from the horizontal of about 4 deg, I take it I will still need a 2 piece prop with a centre bearing and a slight kink in the centre so the UJ's aren't running straight

My main doubt is the more photos of people builds I look at the more seem to have the engine skewed

If anyone could agree or disagree that would be great!

jossey

posted on 1/1/15 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Your right the prop should be slightly off centre upto 5% from the centre bearing is the max.....

Have a look here.

lucklinky

The important thing is that the front and rear final angle is the same angle...

Good

[Edited on 1/1/15 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ceebmoj

posted on 1/1/15 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
I can't really see, but it looks like access to the front exhaust port with the top chassis rail is tight, with the engine in that location.

[Edited on 1/1/15 by ceebmoj]

daniel mason

posted on 1/1/15 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Nice work on the chassis!
Rosco86

posted on 1/1/15 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
Your right the prop should be slightly off centre upto 5% from the centre bearing is the max.....

Have a look here.

lucklinky

The important thing is that the front and rear final angle is the same angle...

Good

[Edited on 1/1/15 by jossey]

Yeah I had read that thread, problem is the longer the straight extension of the output shaft, the steeper the angle from the centre bearing to the diff

Rosco86

posted on 1/1/15 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
Nice work on the chassis!

Cheers! Had a hand from my dad to!

Rosco86

posted on 1/1/15 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
I can't really see, but it looks like access to the front exhaust port with the top chassis rail is tight, with the engine in that location.

[Edited on 1/1/15 by ceebmoj]

That's looking straight at the side

That's looking straight down the axis of the exhaust ports

And that's a ruler coming straight out of the port

Hopefully I might be able to drop the engine down a tad more, just waiting on AB performance to give me some sump dimensions

CosKev3

posted on 1/1/15 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I think you might need to lower it a fair way, unless your going to have your air filter/throttle bodies sticking out of the top of bonnet?
Rosco86

posted on 1/1/15 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
I think you might need to lower it a fair way, unless your going to have your air filter/throttle bodies sticking out of the top of bonnet?

Haha yeah think you might be right, does anyone no where a Bec sump normally sits? Below the chassis rails?

OliilO

posted on 1/1/15 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
The bottom of my fireblade sump (an AB one) is probably level with or very slightly below the chassis rails on my car.

It looks like the output shaft on the zx10r is quite a lot higher up the engine than on the blade engines as I'm sure my prop has less of an angle on it than your bit of string.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 1/1/15 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
I would push it forward, having it that far back is going to move your weight distribution even further to the rear. You need the engine further forward to counteract the weight of the driver (~70-100kg) which is right at the back as well as the diff, there is nothing much in the front.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
rick1962uk

posted on 1/1/15 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
thats about where i got my zzr1100

Rosco86

posted on 1/1/15 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OliilO
The bottom of my fireblade sump (an AB one) is probably level with or very slightly below the chassis rails on my car.

It looks like the output shaft on the zx10r is quite a lot higher up the engine than on the blade engines as I'm sure my prop has less of an angle on it than your bit of string.

Ok thanks, yeah I think you right about the output shaft height!

Rosco86

posted on 1/1/15 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
I would push it forward, having it that far back is going to move your weight distribution even further to the rear. You need the engine further forward to counteract the weight of the driver (~70-100kg) which is right at the back as well as the diff, there is nothing much in the front.

How much further forward do you think? All the way or half way?

Big Macs westfield looks to be in the exact same position, right at the back

Rosco86

posted on 1/1/15 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the pics rick, how did you decide on front to back position?
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 1/1/15 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86
quote:

How much further forward do you think? All the way or half way?

Big Macs westfield looks to be in the exact same position, right at the back

When I bought my engine (919 Fireblade) from AB performance back in the day I asked Andy Bates if he had any advice about installation and he told me to put it as close to the front axle line as I could get it as all the cars he was seeing had the engines really far back in the engine bay which was pushing the weight distribution far to far to the back of the car. The front of my engine is just behind the rear lower wishbone pick-ups, similar to ricks ZZR1100 in his first picture.

It also makes the prop and gear linkage installation much easier as well.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
rick1962uk

posted on 1/1/15 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
tried to keep it slightly up front but the main reason it is where it is was to have an easy life fitting the exhaust etc and get to the oil filter and filler spent hours trying to think if i had it right and still overlooked 1 oil cooler bolt thought it was a single but was a double sounds silly but sooner just unbolt parts that have to take out the engine every time same as clutch it can all be done with engine in so if it goes at a track day its not a big job
Rosco86

posted on 1/1/15 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that, I will have another move around tomorrow then, at lease that's the front to rear position sorted

Just up and down and straight or on the wee left to sort!

Also I will bear in mind about getting to everything on the engine

phelpsa

posted on 3/1/15 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

When I bought my engine (919 Fireblade) from AB performance back in the day I asked Andy Bates if he had any advice about installation and he told me to put it as close to the front axle line as I could get it as all the cars he was seeing had the engines really far back in the engine bay which was pushing the weight distribution far to far to the back of the car.

But the big question is.... is having a rwd weight distribution a bad thing? The further fwd you push the engine the greater the yaw inertia and the less responsive the car is.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 3/1/15 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Adam. Take a look at Darren Luke's caterhan busa and see where busa lumps fits. I'd be tempted to shorten the passenger footwell and get it further back!
mark chandler

posted on 3/1/15 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I,m seriously considering cutting a lump more out my passenger side and dragging it back into the passenger seat area like a mallock.

I then lose the two piece prop, I can count passenger rides on one hand so only need a seat for class classification.
My car already has a chunk cut out when I made it

Inverted chassis 2 April 2006
Inverted chassis 2 April 2006

I also took the opportunity to grow the driver foot wheel, mine is based upon the chapmans so room for feet is already tight.

rj

posted on 3/1/15 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
when I was positioning my engine (ZX9R) the angle was dictated by the exhaust manifold, the engine is almost inline with the side top chassis rail, havn't had any issues with the prop
daniel mason

posted on 3/1/15 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
That's how mk's are!
Rosco86

posted on 3/1/15 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the comments, nice to mix it up a bit lol

How good a driver would you have to be to notice the difference on engine position front to back? Just I'm not going to claim I'm an f1 driver

I've searched google for some Darren Luke caterham pics but only found one, is he a member on here?

Cheers Rj, will bear that in mind

daniel mason

posted on 3/1/15 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
No he sprints in the l7c and raced a radical pr6. He's awesome!
Basiclally arc build the cradles for caterham hayabusas and if you don't have the shortened passenger footwell you have to cut it out and shorten it to get the motor in and the caterham is tiny already. Smallest 7 chassis I've driven anyway

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.