Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mazda 626??
IanSouthLincs

posted on 17/1/15 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Mazda 626??

ok slightly hypothetical question at the moment as I'm about two thirds of the way through my first ever build for which I'm already going down the Pinto route as it's already in there.
However!! I'm hopelessly hooked on this now and I just happen to have a 1995 2.0 GXi Mazda 626 sat on the drive having been on SORN for about 5 years. I was going to put it back on the road and give the thing away to one of my mates, but I think it's probably beyond that economically. Needs complete exhaust including cat, 4 tyres and a balljoint that I know about, to be honest its worth sod all. But, the engine is sweet as a nut and only done 85000 miles from new with full history, I know this because it was my Dad's car and he owned it from new! Am I right in thinking the Mazda lump is essentially a silvertop zetec? If this is the case has anyone used a Mazda 626 as a donor before? Will this use the same bellhousing as a zetec to bolt up to a type 9?
Any thoughts good or bad most welcome.

rusty nuts

posted on 18/1/15 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure it is a Zetec ,I suspect if there is any connection to Ford it may be the same engine used in the Ford Probe? Might be worth posting some pictures of the engine
IanSouthLincs

posted on 18/1/15 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Ah cheers mate, you're bang on with that, after further investigation it's a Mazda 2.0 FS-DE DOHC engine as you rightly say was used in the Probe.
I think that pretty much ends that idea then!!

Myke 2463

posted on 18/1/15 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Neighbor.

Do a search and see if anybody makes a bellhousing to fit it to type 9 box, shame to waste a low mileage engine that has a known history.

Be Lucky Mike.

ettore bugatti

posted on 18/1/15 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe it fits to a Mx-5 box?
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 18/1/15 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Take it on. A banger rally
IanSouthLincs

posted on 18/1/15 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myke 2463
Hi Neighbor.

Do a search and see if anybody makes a bellhousing to fit it to type 9 box, shame to waste a low mileage engine that has a known history.

Hi Mike, bloody hell, I've just been to Wisbech today! lol
I know what you mean, I'm loath to waste it as it's a sweet engine. Done a bit more research and it appears this will mate up to an RX-7 bellhousing and gearbox, which is apparently how some have used the 2.5 V6 lump from the MX-6 and Ford Probe. The only thing that worries me now is that these are surely going to be getting seriously rare now, I've done a bit of a search today and haven't found one.
Anyway, food for thought, this isn't at all urgent, I have my first car to finish yet!

ettore bugatti

posted on 18/1/15 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Make it AWD!

Kia Sportage mk1 2.0 16v 4x4 5 speed gearbox with a transer box used

How about the Mazda B2200?
5 Speed Manual Gearbox. 1990 Mazda B2200 Pickup..

[Edited on 18/1/15 by ettore bugatti]

theduck

posted on 18/1/15 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IanSouthLincs
quote:
Originally posted by Myke 2463
Hi Neighbor.

Hi Mike, bloody hell, I've just been to Wisbech today! lol
I know what you mean, I'm loath to waste it as it's a sweet engine. Done a bit more research and it appears this will mate up to an RX-7 bellhousing and gearbox, which is apparently how some have used the 2.5 V6 lump from the MX-6 and Ford Probe. The only thing that worries me now is that these are surely going to be getting seriously rare now, I've done a bit of a search today and haven't found one.
Anyway, food for thought, this isn't at all urgent, I have my first car to finish yet!

An adapter plate is available to make an mx5 gearbox fit the 2.5v6 lump, so if its the same bolt pattern as that then send clairetoo on here a message regarding an adaptor.

IanSouthLincs

posted on 18/1/15 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, cheers guys, so it turns out there will be some options after all :-) Not sure about the AWD option though! lol
carboy0

posted on 2/6/15 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Mazda 626

The Mazda 2.0 DOHC L range engine has a lot in common with the Ford Duratec 2.0 range (post Zetec engines). It would be worth checking the Ford websites for a common bellhhousing if you want a Type 9 gearbox.

See Wikipedia comparison table link below.

Wikipedia

Just found this link to Duratec to Type 9 bellhousing.

[Edited on 2/6/15 by carboy0]

[Edited on 2/6/15 by carboy0]Duratec-Type 9 Bellhousing

[Edited on 2/6/15 by carboy0]

Chris
www.marinacoupe.co.uk

adithorp

posted on 2/6/15 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
It will bolt directly to the MX5 box... BUT on the MX5 the starter is mounted on the engine casting and on the FWD Mazdas it's mounted on the bellhousing. Bolt the 2 together and there's no provision to put a starter. Thats where Claires adapter plate to go between the two and flywheel spacer comes in.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.