Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Barnett Clutch
smitht82

posted on 20/1/15 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Barnett Clutch

Hi All, I'm after a little advise. I have a Barnett clutch on my car (fitted by the previous owners) and have been advised to ditch this due to the lack of 'control' due to it feeling like its on or off. It took my a while to get used to it when I first bought the car but now i'm looking to make the car more enjoyable through traffic as currently I tend to go out early on a Sunday morning to avoid traffic (which has its benefits). Has anyone else had any experience with the clutch and did you stick with it or return back to a standard clutch? My engine is an R1 injected 5PW.

Any comments welcome :-)

olimarler

posted on 20/1/15 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Most advice I've been told about Bec clutch is to stay with oem plates but uprated Barnett springs.
That's what I have in my CBR powered Locost and it feels good on the pedal

Oli

OliilO

posted on 20/1/15 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've got OEM plates and Barnett springs in my blade.

Your best way to improve the clutch pedal feel will be to relocate the clutch pedal pivot point (or clutch cable to pedal attachment point) to give a more progressive feel. As the bike clutch has quite a short range of motion this can translate to be feeling very on/off when operated through a foot pedal. By moving the cable attachment point closer to the pedal pivot point you are gaining more pedal movement over the clutch's movement range, which will make it more progressive and easier to control.

gttztt

posted on 20/1/15 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Barnett Clutch

Nothing to do with holding onto a dodgy syrup in windy conditions then!
cosmick

posted on 20/1/15 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Totally agree with OliiilO this is nothing to do with the Barnet clutch and everything to do with clutch lever ratio. You need to move the fulcrum closer to the pivot. This will have a major effect on the bite point. Currently you have a bite point which is uncontrollable hence feeling like a switch, so no matter how slowly you engage the clutch it either snatches or stalls. Moving the fulcrum closer to the pivot will cure this instantly. It will make the clutch pedal lighter and give far more control. Some people recommend fitting a clutch pedal stop to prevent over throwing the clutch. Again this is not needed if the lever ratio is made correct. You will be amazed at the clutch control once you get this right.
Try drilling some holes closer to the pivot and move the cable towards the pivot. Do it in stages and adjust the free play if necessary. You won't need to road test it, just try pulling away on the drive. You will know when its right.

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.