Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost solution for garage refurb needed
AndyW

posted on 27/1/15 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Locost solution for garage refurb needed

Evening all,

I need to find a lolocost solution. I want to clad my garage is a shiplap type timber to make it more fitting with the surroundings rather than the "storage container dumped on drive" look that I currently have.

I want to use something like this Description
Description

Now the trouble I have is that its so darn expensive, especially reclaimed. So can I get a router bit and some cheap timber and make my own? Anyone done that?

My garage is 5m x 3m and about 2m high. I will want to do both sides (5m by 2m tall twice) and the timber doors at the front, but when I look at the prices on line its going to cost ££££ when the garage only cost me £40 to build (lots of freebies)

Need to pull my finger out and get sorted once and for all this year, as had all the fences replaced and the garage is rather letting the side down

Ta

Andy

Andybarbet

posted on 27/1/15 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
On one of those amazing spaces programs a guy used standard boards but cut a 45 degree chamfer top & bottom full length.

It acted a bit like shiplap by keeping driving rain & dripping rain out with no gaps due to the 45 degree angles tucking together nicely.

Easy to do on a cheap table saw.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

richwill

posted on 27/1/15 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Are the new fences done in panels? Could you not use similar panels to clad the garage with and maybe use a trellis to make up any height difference.
jossey

posted on 27/1/15 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Kite mark fail Scaffold boards cost about £6 for 13ft. Get them cut in half depth wise which gives you 26ft by 10" for £6

Looks great

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tul214

posted on 27/1/15 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have recently used this guy. He did a deal on B grade lengths for a stable I built
here

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 27/1/15 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
What about getting a second hand shiplap shed (there are usually a few on eBay) then dismantling it and re-using the boards?

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mark chandler

posted on 27/1/15 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
You need to deal with your local sawmill with real money and a trailer to take it away.

My cladding is scots pine, thick wedge sawn which should last my lifetime as long as I cresote it every few years

I covered the bare frame with a modern breather membrane, £25 from the builders merchants which keeps the wet out then spaced the cladding 1/2" off this with pressure treated battens.

austin man

posted on 29/1/15 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
I built a 16ft x12ft Workshop with 19mm loglap cladding cost me £1000 in all bought the loglap from a company in York off Ebay all good treated timber York Timber Products I believe

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.