Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: URGENT - How to find out grade of ali
bi22le

posted on 29/1/15 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
URGENT - How to find out grade of ali

I have a serious problem at work and need to solve it. Of course LCB is the second place to look (after google!)

We have a supplier that we suspect is changing the grade of out ali. Is there any quick way to test the grading of ali (cast)

I know what makes ali grades different but we have no chemical or spectroscopy test facilities here.

Thoughts?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

tegwin

posted on 29/1/15 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm guessing youd need a chemical composition analysis.... An electron microscope is what youd be wanting.... I have access to a machine but it's pretty busy and wouldn't be cheap...

I would also consider polishing and etching some samples to look at with an optical microscope as it would give an idea of crystal structure. (Hardening etc)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

flak monkey

posted on 29/1/15 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
No way to find out other than have a sample analysed by a metallurgy lab I'm afraid.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 29/1/15 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
X-ray diffraction PMI gun will tell you with high probability, metallurgy lab will for certainty its less expensive than you might think too.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

loggyboy

posted on 29/1/15 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Will ask the wife, she works for a supplier of XRF analysers, they might be able to give you a 'demo'.

Mistral Motorsport

britishtrident

posted on 29/1/15 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Could it be a heat treatment issue rather than type of alloy issue? Heat treatment makes a big difference to cast alloys.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

leon51274

posted on 29/1/15 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ask for a certificate of conformity and Test certificate, this should give you the chemical composition.
bi22le

posted on 29/1/15 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all of the info and offers.

We are currently discussing the matters with our supplier (Chinese manufacturer!) and may go down the route of testing depending on the outcome of these matters.

The product is a medical device and requires strict testing. One of the tests has been running for the last 6 days (200000 repetition test) so there are many things we are testing.

I wont keep you posted for obvious reasons but thanks and I will be in touch if needed.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

loggyboy

posted on 29/1/15 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
If you can get a sample to me I could easily get one of the lads at her work to test it.

[Edited on 29-1-15 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

coozer

posted on 29/1/15 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ask the supplier to send a certificate of conformity detailing the grade and chemical content.
Is your company ts or qs9000 approved? If so the request is mandatory...

If not I'm sure a call to your local university will bring up some options.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

balidey

posted on 29/1/15 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
If the parts are from China, requesting a certificate will mean cock all.
We have a similar problem a few weeks ago with steel items that were heat treated.
Toffee had better strength properties, despite what the certificate said otherwise.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

SteveWalker

posted on 29/1/15 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
We are currently discussing the matters with our supplier (Chinese manufacturer!) and may go down the route of testing depending on the outcome of these matters.

The product is a medical device and requires

When the industry I work in has specific material requirements they will not source any materials from China unless each and every piece is individually tested on receipt. China is well known for substituting cheaper grades or just whatever they've got to hand.

[Edited on 29/1/15 by SteveWalker]

bi22le

posted on 30/1/15 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I was not going to update this but thought I would becasue its quite funny \ amusing \

Some back ground first.

- We wanted an item made in billet, they gave us 200 items that were cast.
- We tested the cast items and they failed.
- We asked AGAIN for billet samples
- We tested the billet items, they passed
- They send us 200 items that look cast but passed our tests
- I get onto LCB to see if I can test ali type to see if they have just sent through higher grade cast ali.
- We get a response back saying that they decided to sand blast all of their billet parts (never done this before). Why? To get the oils off during machining and prep for powdercoating.

I know they dip these items prior to spraying. I have been to China and watched them do it. NO MENTION OR SIGNS OF SHOT BLASTING WHEN I WAS THERE.

Never get a product made in China if its needs to be decent.

AGHHHHH!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.