Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage Audio
AntonUK

posted on 2/2/15 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Garage Audio

I have an old CD/Radio all in one 'ghetto blaster' type in the garage for listening to the Radio etc, the audio quality is pretty crap but it did the job.

Yesterday I hooked up a set of 2.1 cube speakers from creative labs that were lying around and it has vastly improved the quality.

This little job got me thinking that I should really get with the times and have the ability to play mp3 etc from my home server, or even stream audio from spotify etc.

Does anyone use a tablet, laptop, raspberry pi, chromecast etc for in garage audio? Interested to hear of others setups before I spend any money.

Thoughts?

Build Photos Here

mark chandler

posted on 2/2/15 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I,ve got a full size jawbone jambox, it will rattle out music non stop all day on a single charge, just bluetooth to my iPhone 🐶
coozer

posted on 2/2/15 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I used a telly with a sky box to listen to planet rock and absolute classic rock until the grandbairn insisted on it being in her bedroom. Doh!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

TrophyJem

posted on 2/2/15 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
What home server have you got?

I run Logitech media server on my home server (My home server is an old PC running freenas) and then I use raspberry pi's throughout the house running piCorePlayer https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

Each of my pi's have a hifiberry board attached to give hi quality audio.

Works like a dream

Logitech media server supports just about every audio format and has dedicated apps for internet radio, spotify, etc

kj

posted on 2/2/15 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Kenwood stereo but changing to DAB

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

carlknight1982

posted on 2/2/15 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Garage pc tied to the wifi

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

AntonUK

posted on 2/2/15 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TrophyJem

I run Logitech media server on my home server (My home server is an old PC running freenas) and then I use raspberry pi's throughout the house running piCorePlayer https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

Works like a dream

Logitech media server supports just about every audio format and has dedicated apps for internet radio, spotify, etc

Its a freeNAS in a HP microserver box, no plugins installed so no DNLA.

Does the PiCorePlayer work headless? I have a spare Pi knocking around.

Build Photos Here

TrophyJem

posted on 2/2/15 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AntonUK
quote:
Originally posted by TrophyJem

Works like a dream

Its a freeNAS in a HP microserver box, no plugins installed so no DNLA.

Does the PiCorePlayer work headless? I have a spare Pi knocking around.

You should be able to install LMS plugin on that server without too much trouble.
PiCorePlayer is headless. There is an android and iOS app to control it all.

rodgling

posted on 2/2/15 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
I use a Bose sound link mini playing stuff off my phone via bluetooth. Sound is very good (it better be given the price :-) ). It works well as it will charge up and then play for (apparently) 7 hours, and it's tiny, so I just take it out when I want to use it.
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 2/2/15 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I ran an aerial cat5e (about 30m) cable out to garage and used an argos wireless range extender/access point then I have a pair of cheapy pc speakers which I use my phone to listen to the radio/internet radio/spotify/home NAS whatever. Plus I have an access point for the laptop out there too

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Irony

posted on 3/2/15 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
I am pure locost!!!

I have a old Cambridge Audio Sound system with a old Android Phone attached via the headphones jack. The Android phone is plugged in a left there all the time. There is a android app that can transmit music one device to another. I play the music on my phone and it plays through the speakers via the old dented phone! Locost!

loggyboy

posted on 3/2/15 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I ran a cat5 cable and stuck an old pc in my garage, monitor is a combined tv so I added a freeview box also:

Mistral Motorsport

ken555

posted on 3/2/15 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
I ran a cat5 cable and stuck an old pc in my garage, monitor is a combined tv so I added a freeview box also:

I was thinking about this, but is the dust build up a problem to the PC ?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 3/2/15 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Hasnt been so far, the HDD did go at one point (but i felt this was down to age) I replaced with a small SSD for about £50 which worked quicker and been fine since. Sit up high it will likely get less dust than most house pcs sat on floor.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.