Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alfa Giulietta - advice
r1_pete

posted on 6/2/15 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Alfa Giulietta - advice

Mrs' Lexus IS300 is coming up 12 years old, and we really ought to replace it, its only done 30K and she loves it, and she fancies a change.

Over the last 4 years or so we've looked at BMW 1 & 3 series, Merc C's and coupes, Volvo C30, Focus, you name it in the size and we've looked at it. The only thing she likes is the Giulietta, but is reluctant due to Alfa's past history for crap electrics, rusting away etc....

Has anyone any experience of modern Alfa's? it'd be a new one and probably the biggest engine option.....

Any advice etc. welcome.

Cheers.

Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 6/2/15 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Keep the Lexus?
Daf

posted on 6/2/15 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 59 plate 159 as a company car for a year, it never let me down, drove well and looked superb. However...... for some reason I couldn't get on with it, I could never put my finger on what it was but it really felt like style over function.

I had a 12 year old 3 series before that with 212k on the clock, I gave it to my wife when I got the company car - when i went out on a non busness journey I'd still take the BM every time!

For me it was the wrong car, but I can't complain because it never went wrong and I'm sure it would really suit other people.

pewe

posted on 7/2/15 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Fiat Stilo/Bravo with a different set of clothes.....
Drove one as a hire car in Italy some time ago.
Usual "nothing faster than a hire car" but still didn't excite.
Maybe see if you can hire a Giulietta for her and see how she likes it over the hire period.
Sure is cheaper than buying one and being disappointed?
Cheers, Pewe10

mds167

posted on 7/2/15 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I know that Alfas have been getting better over the past few years but my mk1 Focus beat my 146 in every area other than space.
I keep the Alfa for 5 years, the Focus for 8. I had similar wear and tear on both cars and an electrical problem on each.
I loved the Alfa but I'm not sure I could ever have another.
The Focus has been replaced by a, so far, excellent c max

"No, you can't lick the system; but you can give it a damn good fondling."

r1_pete

posted on 7/2/15 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies all, sound like they are nothing to write home about, whilst the Lexus is probably the best car we've ever had, apart from usability in the snow.

She's now decided to keep it until it starts costing us...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 7/2/15 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Thanks for the replies all, sound like they are nothing to write home about, whilst the Lexus is probably the best car we've ever had, apart from usability in the snow.

She's now decided to keep it until it starts costing us...

Fit some Avon Ice Touring tyres on it Pete. The difference is amazing They are around £60 from Mytyres. Link

r1_pete

posted on 7/2/15 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers we can do that, and use the original wheels, as its got aftermarket alloys on now...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.