Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BT Broadband support
mookaloid

posted on 12/2/15 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
BT Broadband support

A friend of mine has been having issues with their BT home hub and couple of days ago he called BT for support.

Apparently the BT support guy (in India or somewhere) got my friend to download something and took control of his computer to try and sort out the issue. he seemed to get it working.

Since then he has had a call per day from "microsoft support" who want to fix his computer! I have previously warned him about this particular scam so he isn't taken in by the calls but it does seem very suspicious to me.

Should he be worried?

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

cliftyhanger

posted on 12/2/15 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Think he needs to report it to BT somehow. Sounds like the peeps are selling the details on to the scammers....
Dick Axtell

posted on 12/2/15 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Had similar issue with Microsoft Support, last week. After they offered to "take over my computer", was told it would cost $150 plus another hourly rate!! Immediately broke off the connection. However, I still needed help, so enlisted a PC doctor, who fixed my probs (one of which was a Trojan!!).

Most probs come from downloading freeware, (more specifically - Filezilla Client, latest update), which appear to have become loaded with malware, according to some reviews. So am now looking for another FTP handler package.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Oldaker

posted on 12/2/15 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Oh - the" Microsoft support" calls. Great fun can be had with these. I managed to keep them on the line for 40 minutes once before admitting I didn't use Windows but had a Mac. He got quite verbal at this point. Called me all sorts of names. I figured the if I kept him on the phone at least he wasn't conning some granny out of her savings. Sadly, the calls have stopped now - I'm probably on some sort of blacklist with the scammers
coozer

posted on 12/2/15 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Get the discs save all the stuff you need and format 'c'

I get the call saying they have found my PC is infected and can clean it up... Then I follow what they saying until I tell them they will have to come round and tell me where the PC is as I don't have one!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

britishtrident

posted on 12/2/15 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I love my "Call Angel" since I installed between my phone and the phone master socket I just don't get crap calls. £20 quid or so off Amazon well spent.

[Edited on 12/2/15 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mark chandler

posted on 12/2/15 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
He should be very worried, had something similar a couple of months ago on my talk talk line, they run a DOS attack against your line fir a day or so then call you to see if you have a problem with a slow network then ask that they can load something to resolve and hack your PC.

Best he gets his personal files off and wipes the machine.

I kept chatting to the fake help desk for maybe 20 minutes before he swore at me and hung up they stopped calling after that.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.