Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Indicator/Hazard Switch Wiring
Tatey

posted on 23/2/15 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Indicator/Hazard Switch Wiring

Evening all,

I am currently trying to solve an electrical issue on my Haynes prior to IVA in April.

So I have the following indictor setup:

LED Rear Lights
LED Repeaters
Standard Bulb Front Indicators

I have Sierra switch gear and a Premier Wiring loom with a 3 pin indicator/hazard relay setup, I am using the following electronic flasher relay (180W max) from CBS:

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/3-pin-electronic-flasher-relay

So as it stands I have wired my relay in the following way:

X = +12V
L = Indicator Switch
P = Dash warning light

I get the following behaviour:

Indicators won't work at all when using the indicator switch

The rear indicators and repeaters (repeaters are wired in parallel with rear indicators) will flash when the front indicators aren't plugged in, hazard light will also flash, lights seem pretty dim however.

When front indicators are connected no lights will work except for the hazard warning light which is very bright but doesn't flash.

I was getting 8V to the front indicators when the hazards are plugged in, I haven't checked what happens when the indicators switch is on.

I have followed planetesters post in this thread and everything seems to be wired correctly on the switch side of things:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=43404

I have dismantled my Sierra switch and cleaned all of the contacts with no luck. However I can't figure out what the long copper contact does that protrudes out of part of the switch casing and into the back of the indicator stalk as there is nothing in there for it to connect to.

I originally bought an LED flasher relay from China but I thought it might be broken as it wouldn't flash when the hazard switch was on, it would just light the rear lights up which is why I then bought the CBS one so I don't think it's relay related fault unless I've wired it wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated. I also have a multimeter so any checks I can do to get to the bottom of it please let me know.

L5W

posted on 23/2/15 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Mine has pretty much the same set up, premier loom, electronic flasher relay, sierra switches but with LEDs all round. I had a similar fault whereby the LEDs would flash between very bright and what seemed like 'half bright' instead of being completely off. I'm not sure about the indicator switch not working but with the fronts disconnected, try removing the telltale bulb from the hazard swtich too and see if this makes the LEDs start to work properly. It took me a while to find and I ended up changing the standard telltale bulb in the hazard switch to an LED bulb and with a bit of re-wiring, managed to get everything working.

I short write up of my re-wiring job here

Also, I didn't need to use resistors but have heard these are needed for LEDs when using standard bulbs elsewhere on the car

cheers,
Lee

http://l5w-mk-indy-zetec.blogspot.com/

CosKev3

posted on 24/2/15 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure when I wired my flasher in one of the terminals goes to earth, I've got Sierra switch gear with a mix of normal and led bulbs with an adjustable flasher relay and everthing works spot on without removing bulbs from the hazard switch or using resistors
SteveWallace

posted on 24/2/15 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
This is how I wired my premier loom and Sierra switches up. The repeaters (small bulb symbols) are LEDs but the front and rear indicators are normal bulbs so I managed to get away with a normal relay due to the resistance through the bulbs

indicator wiring
indicator wiring

Tatey

posted on 25/2/15 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Well 19 blown 15A fuses later and I have finally solved my wiring problem!

It turns out I'm a numpty and really should have fully understood my relay wiring before playing around with connectors.

I was essentially feeding a 12V supply into my relays tell tale bulb output and grounding the indicator switch through the relay.

With my new wiring arrangement both relays now work!

With the CBS relay I have it setup in the following way:

P - Nothing connected
X - 12V supply from indicator Switch (Pin 49 on indicator switch)
L - Output from flasher relay to indicator switch (Pin 49a on indicator switch)
Earth cable on premier loom left free

With my ebay special LED relay I have it setup in the following way:

B(+) = 12V supply from indicator Switch (Pin 49 on indicator switch)
E(-) = Earth cable on premier loom
L = Output from flasher relay to indicator switch (Pin 49a on indicator switch)

And now everything works as it should, indicators only come on with ignition and hazards work at all times including the hazard tell tale. Indicator lights now flash on my Acewell dash and my front indicators work, my rears are also a lot brighter.

I haven't had to do anything with the hazard tell tale bulb, and the lights all flash at the correct rate.

CosKev3

posted on 25/2/15 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Nice result

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.