Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The anti-locost
simonrh

posted on 24/2/15 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
The anti-locost

Trying to work out if my new company car could be the most opposite or anti-locost.

Arriving on Monday with the new numberplate.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.

Heavy vs light
Electric vs ICE
Slow vs fast
comfy vs nimble
Expensive vs locost

[Edited on 24/2/15 by simonrh]

Sporty

posted on 24/2/15 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
I had one delivered 3 weeks ago as a company car.

A few compromises but you can't argue with the tax savings.

Ian

simonrh

posted on 24/2/15 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Most of my mileage is a 20 mile stint to the office and back and when i borrowed one for a few days last year I was doing it all on electric.

Figured I can live with some of the other limitations that you get as I dont tend to go that far from day to day.

Sporty

posted on 24/2/15 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
The colder weather means it runs on the petrol more and the batteries are less efficient I am getting about 18 miles electric range on a 30 mile commute to work but no charging at work so all the way back is petrol.

The bad points are just niggles I prefer it to the brand new C class I had as a hire car for 3 months which was awful but I did prefer the 5 series I had before, but the difference in costs mean that I don't regret the decision.

Ian

simonrh

posted on 24/2/15 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
I tried fast cars and big cars but this was the one I liked the most. The tax drop has basically paid for me buying my quantum.

I was figuring I need a "My other car is interesting" sticker in the back window!

richwill

posted on 24/2/15 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Mine arrives on Friday as replacement for my c class merc. The tax savings made it an easy decision to make. I too have a commute of around 20 miles and will be able to charge up at work so I aim to run on the electric as much as I can. It will be interesting to see how well it performs.
simonrh

posted on 24/2/15 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Have you test driven one? Mitsubishi commercial lent us one last summer and I tested it over several days and thought it was really good and proved it would do the trip (on a warm day) using just battery with work paying the electricity bill.
twybrow

posted on 24/2/15 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
I am placing my order this week. Annoyingly on my lust is only the 3H with leather, but I just can't get past the tax saving. I liked the way it went - it isn't sporty, but it did feel solid and planted. My commute will be 7 miles and I can charge at work, but I will probably still go for fully fuelled at £90pcm... Shame about the lack of options and colours!
richwill

posted on 24/2/15 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
I took one for an hours test drive to see how it went. I was pleased with it. It's comfortable quiet and capable of all I need it to do. I tried my normal commute route and I reckon I could get 3 trips out of it before I would need to charge it. Which I can do at work.its well equipped and a good size motor.I had tried a new c class and bmw touring but by the time I added any options it drove the price up which in turn makes it more costly on the bik rates.
I think I will make a substantial saving on my tax bill over the next 3 years and should also make substantial savings on the fuel costs.
I also tried an Audi A3 Enron plug in which was ok considered until I was informed of the 26 week minimum delivery time!

[Edited on 24/2/15 by richwill]

sdh2903

posted on 24/2/15 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
The world's gone mad. Or a portion of it. Am I the only one that thinks it's a proper fugly orrible thing. I think I'd give up the company car and get on my push bike than subject myself to that for a 7 mile commute. Euuurrgggghhh.

All imo of course, different strokes for different folks an all that.

twybrow

posted on 24/2/15 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
The world's gone mad. Or a portion of it. Am I the only one that thinks it's a proper fugly orrible thing. I think I'd give up the company car and get on my push bike than subject myself to that for a 7 mile commute. Euuurrgggghhh.

All imo of course, different strokes for different folks an all that.

If your only requirement is the look of a car, then yes, I agree, the Outlander PHEV is not a pretty car by any stretch. But for me, and it seems a number of others, the total package is attractive. I cannot justify spending 3 times the amount each month just to have a BMW or Audi on my drive. My fun comes from my kit, and other projects. This will be a practical, spacious family wagon, which I can use to tow my kit to track days for no extra cost. If you would prefer to cycle, be my guest, I will look out for you as I glide past in near silence....

sdh2903

posted on 24/2/15 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
No not at all. But neither is cost which is why everyone is getting one because they are a company car tax dodge. It just shows how crap the system is when a car which will do 30mpg by all accounts scrapes by the tax barrier.

Me. I enjoy motoring. My cars have to have 'something' about them. I would rather have a 10 year old car with a bit of character about it than a brand new soul-less box.

And be carefull of the cyclist in your silent car, bloody dangerous

simonrh

posted on 24/2/15 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
My boss basically said I can have what the heck I like and I tried an octavia vrs petrol turbo Estate, big twin turbo diesel insignia and we have several 5 series and a Mercedes on our fleet for me to try. After all that I still chose the phev. I kept just thinking "there's nothing wrong with this" and it pays for the fun cars. Being literal, my economy was infinite as the engine wasn't necessary for my journey. It will tow 1.5 tonne. Quiet and pleasant was my memory. Even thought it looked ok in the right colour
twybrow

posted on 24/2/15 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
No not at all. But neither is cost which is why everyone is getting one because they are a company car tax dodge. It just shows how crap the system is when a car which will do 30mpg by all accounts scrapes by the tax barrier.

Me. I enjoy motoring. My cars have to have 'something' about them. I would rather have a 10 year old car with a bit of character about it than a brand new soul-less box.

And be carefull of the cyclist in your silent car, bloody dangerous

I do get your drift. I was all up for keeping my 535D (a ten year old car with some character and plenty of go!), but our company policy means if you go for the allowance, they will only pay if the car is less than 5 years old. By the time you factor in depreciation, the allowance just won't cover it on anything remotely desirable. As others have said, if your commute is short then it will be electric only for most of the use. There is a chap on Pistonheads who has done 3000+ miles on the fuel the car was delivered with!

Sporty

posted on 25/2/15 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Twybrow just be careful with the 3, it doesn't have the electric preheater which means on short journeys it will run the engine just to warm the cabin up, if you are on a fuel card its not such an issue but if its your own fuel you could end up doing 30mpg for your short commute every day.

It is very much a tax "loophole" shall we say but it saves me £250 per month by taking it against my 5 series I had before, all allowances now in my company are limited to 4 years and less than 160 Kg CO2 so interesting cars are limited, there was I time I ran an Imprezza on a car allowance. Its the equivalent of an £8k pay rise so a no brainer.

SteveWallace

posted on 25/2/15 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
So how long until someone on here builds an all electric 7 (running on economy 7 - ). The Tesla sports car for example has really good performance. You may have to include a sound system with a recording of a V8 though.
Daddylonglegs

posted on 25/2/15 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I think it's Fugly! But then what do I know?

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.