Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cosworth t5 gearbox
Apollo1600

posted on 12/3/15 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Cosworth t5 gearbox

Hi,
Has anyone got a cosworth T5 box at all?

spiderman

posted on 13/3/15 at 01:27 AM Reply With Quote
I have a bag full of hens teeth and a pile of rocking horse Sh1t, but no T5 gearboxes. I am sure they are around but not Locost and out of reach of my shallow pockets.
Those that were fitted to Cosworths fetch silly money now but I am led to believe they were also fitted to some Mustangs. I know there also as rare as the products I do have but it maybe another avenue for you to explore if you know of any American muscle car breakers.
I feel sure there will be many on here who will be more helpful but don't expect to pick one up cheaply.
The MT75 gearbox is allegedly stronger than a type 9 but has an integral bellhousing which may be a problem depending on what you are attaching the gearbox too.
Sorry I could not be of more help and best of luck in your research.

Spider

spiderman

posted on 13/3/15 at 01:36 AM Reply With Quote
Just had a look on ebay and there are a couple on there, not as expensive as I thought seem to be coming down in price since I last looked. Mind you still out of my reach as those 2 cost about as much as I have spent on my whole car and it's nearly finished. Probably why it's taken me 15yrs to get to this stage

Here.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=t5+gearbox&_from=R40&_osacat=174105&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570. l1313&_nkw=ford+t5+gearbox&_sacat=174105

and another,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Borg-Warner-T5-Gearbox-Chevrolet-Chevy-305-350-327-Etc-/181688831431?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4d7f8dc7< br />
[Edited on 13/3/15 by spiderman]

Spider

CosKev3

posted on 13/3/15 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
If you buy second hand non-reconditioned you need to be prepared to rebuild and replace synchros atleast.

Lots of people selling them lie about condition too, as they are known for the synchros being knackered.

snapper

posted on 13/3/15 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen a bare box for £300 but then the bellhousing was a similar price followed by clutch fork at typical Cosworth prices.
It's a bigger box than the Type 9 or MT75 so I'm still looking at a 2.7 first for the V6 Type 9

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mcerd1

posted on 13/3/15 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman
but I am led to believe they were also fitted to some Mustangs. I know there also as rare as the products I do have but it maybe another avenue for you to explore if you know of any American muscle car breakers.

I thought that the mustang boxes were one of the 'world class' versions of this box ?

The cossie box is a non-world class version of this box

There are lots of variants of world class T5's found in all kinds of American V8's and even the old RV8 based TVR, apparently there are even 4x4 versions...... but the cost of converting any of these / making adapters normally rules them out...

[Edited on 13/3/2015 by mcerd1]

-

adampage

posted on 13/3/15 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just saw another one....

http://racecarsdirect.com/listing/58509/borgwarner_t5_sierra_cosworth_gearbox.html

spiderman

posted on 14/3/15 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman
but I am led to believe they were also fitted to some Mustangs. I know there also as rare as the products I do have but it maybe another avenue for you to explore if you know of any American muscle car breakers.

I thought that the mustang boxes were one of the 'world class' versions of this box ?

The cossie box is a non-world class version of this box

There are lots of variants of world class T5's found in all kinds of American V8's and even the old RV8 based TVR, apparently there are even 4x4 versions...... but the cost of converting any of these / making adapters normally rules them out...

[Edited on 13/3/2015 by mcerd1]

I bow to your superior knowledge of T5 gearboxes as my experience is only based on what I have read, I don't think I have ever seen one in the flesh.
I love this forum because there are a lot of like minded, helpful and experienced practitioners of all things mechanical and many other subjects plus it is not full of "armchair engineers" as a lot of other forums can be. I for one know I would be far less knowledgeable if it was not for this forum.

Keep up the good work guys

All the best
Spider.

Spider

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.