Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best way to preserve opened PU/ mastic tubes
johnH20

posted on 17/3/15 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Best way to preserve opened PU/ mastic tubes

Something I have never found the answer to. Sikaflex and the like are not exactly locost and I seem to waste a lot. I have tried a screw in the nozzle but you cannot get the 'bung' out due to the taper of the nozzle. I have tried removing the nozzle but then you have two air inlets. A screw in the wide end of the nozzle will usually get the bung out but you need to repeat the process with the tube which is more difficult. I have tried tape seals at various points as above, none seem to work satisfactorily.
I try and group my jobs so that all my sealing work is done in one session but there are limits to that approach. So what do other locosters do to avoid half used tubes that are throw away ?

theconrodkid

posted on 17/3/15 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
i will be watching this with interest,the other day i had to bin an unopened tube that had gone off

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

designer

posted on 17/3/15 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
My mate filled a nozzle with Vaselin and put it onto any part used tube.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kenton

posted on 17/3/15 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I apply a little grease on the nozzel threads before its first put on. After use I smear some around the inside of the cartridge to seal the plunger end and also on the nozzel tip. This stops all air and moisture, 6 months later it was still useable.
bigfoot4616

posted on 17/3/15 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
i cut a finger of a disposable glove, put it over the nozzle and fill the end with the PU making sure the end of the nozzle is in the middle of it. then tape the glove to the nozzle. eventually it will go of in the nozzle but that way does last well.

its shelf life is pretty poor anyway so not matter what you do it wont last very long.

richmars

posted on 17/3/15 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Wrap it in cling film.
minitici

posted on 17/3/15 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616
i cut a finger of a disposable glove, put it over the nozzle and fill the end with the PU making sure the end of the nozzle is in the middle of it. then tape the glove to the nozzle. eventually it will go of in the nozzle but that way does last well.

its shelf life is pretty poor anyway so not matter what you do it wont last very long.

I also do this - I usually use some every week so I don't know how long you could store this way without the PU in the nozzle curing.

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 17/3/15 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
personally I never find clingfilm makes it air tight enough..
MikeR

posted on 17/3/15 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Take the nozzle off, clean, put 3 or four layers of going film or some other thin plastic over the cartridge nozzle thread and reattach the nozzle. For me this tends to last.
joneh

posted on 17/3/15 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Sh!t loads of cling film works for me.
MikeR

posted on 17/3/15 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Going film is my phone attempt to change cling film into something less meaningful

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.