Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CV Advice
perksy

posted on 18/3/15 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
CV Advice

Can anyone offer any good web links or advice on writing a good CV lads ?

Any employers out there who could offer any advice on what makes them give a second look to a potential employees CV etc would also be good.

Its been awhile since I looked at mine and could do with some up to date info.

Thanks as always for any advice

adithorp

posted on 18/3/15 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thought this was going to be about drive-shaft joints and moly' grease. Could have helped with that...

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

perksy

posted on 18/3/15 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Ha Ha nice one

I'm ok with those, but not so handy with putting a Job CV together

spiderman

posted on 18/3/15 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
At one time it was considered that using tinted paper would get your CV noticed amongst a pile of others, but now I'm not so sure as someone I knew in an HR dept said don't do that. They tend to get a lot of CV's for a job and don't have time to read them all, so need to filter them.Guess which ones go into file 13 first? If have masses of them they tend to spread them out on a table and pick randomly until they feel they have enough to go through and keep the others in reserve in case they can't find anyone suitable in the first batch. So it can just be the luck of the draw in some places.
I believe that a précis of your work should be on the first page along with the employers name. A bit like the index of a book. Just put the job title, employers name and dates of employment. That way if it's laid out on table the recruiter can see at a glance the amount of your experience, and decide whether your worth a second look. You can then include more detailed info of the job your responsibilities on the pages behind the first page. Keep it brief as they don't want to read "war and peace" probably 2 pages should be enough and follow up with the last page with your qualifications with the most relevant first. Just remember a CV is just a tool to get you to the interview as it is rare someone would employ you on the strength of your CV. 3 to 4 pages should be sufficient to create an interest in the recruiter and they probably have less than 5 mins to go through each CV all you want to do is to get him to place it on the short list pile. If you get an interview that is the place to sell yourself and your experience. Check your spelling and punctuation (don't take mine as an example) and get a good friend to read it and ask for criticisms, don't be offend it if they suggest changes, remember that you want to create a quick impression and some interest for the recruiter to want to know more.

Hope that may be some help.

Spider.

Spider

BenB

posted on 18/3/15 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
We get loads of CVs (all our staff going off on maternity leave!). A good start is well written, correctly spelt and grammatically correct English "I am speaking very good English". Keep it professional and factual, anything too job specific keep it to a covering letter (you don't want it to look like you've made the CV just for that job). Don't put about your primary school projects IE keep it recent. Have referees relevant to the job you're applying for. Make it look good.

I would suggest don't put a photo (recent trend)- makes it look either like a glamour shoot (how much pouting?) or like a mugs gallery

mds167

posted on 19/3/15 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I would mostly agree with Ben B.

However, any CV should be tailored to some degree to ensure that any relevant experience is evident in the CV (if the job calls for welding and Java Script experience, demonstrate where you welded Java Script).
It does depend which industry you are working in and whether you are going for a perm or contract role.

For perm - a good covering letter / email and a tailored CV no more than two pages long.
It's a taster to promote questions in an interview.

For contracting, all of your roles with a few bullet points for each (the longest CV I've seen was seven pages - that was excessive).

Spelling and grammar are paramount.

Have a professional email address. Tidy your social media (employers look these days).

If the role you are going for requires qualifications, those qualifications should be evident on page one. If letters after your name a relevant to the role and you are eligible to put them, there then do so. If they aren't relevant, don't bother.

Be honest. Don't leave off any roles as 'not relevant' - if they are then discovered later on you may be considered as having committed application fraud - especially if you left without giving correct notice. (Not saying that you have!)

Having said all that, my arena is financial services (don't hate me), other industries may have different preferences.

Good luck!

"No, you can't lick the system; but you can give it a damn good fondling."

perksy

posted on 19/3/15 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help Lads, Some helpful tips there

No danger of me putting a photo of my ugly mug on the front cover or i'll never get the job

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.