Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Putting NCD on "retention"
ken555

posted on 19/3/15 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Putting NCD on "retention"

My tintop insurance is coming up for renewal, as it's got a broken engine and I'm planning to sell it as spares/repair. I'm thinking not to renew the policy (it's been SORNed since Sept). However I have 10+ years of NCD built up.

What do I need to do to make sure that when I insure it's replacement I don't have to start again.

Do I need proof from the current insurer that I had the years, or will the renewal document still work in a few months time ?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tiger Super Six

posted on 19/3/15 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
You need to get written proof of the NCB from the current provider and I believe it remains 'valid' for 2-yrs. If you don't use it on another policy in that time then you lose it.

Mark

Tiger Avon

Slimy38

posted on 19/3/15 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I cancelled my insurance after getting a company car and selling my own, I got a statement saying how many NCD bonus I'd built up. As mentioned it is only valid for 2 years, and I've not yet figured out a decent approach to 'refresh' it.
CosKev3

posted on 19/3/15 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Iirc some insurance company's will only allow you 12 months without insurance to carry over ncb.

I've got a Sierra log book if somebody wants to insure that to preserve ncb

lsdweb

posted on 19/3/15 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
I almost lost my bike insurance as the company insisted I hadn't had insurance for over two years. I had to send them last year's documents (that they had sent me!) to prove it hadn't lapsed (about 9 months without insurance).

Two years seems to be the cut off point.

Wyn

Slimy38

posted on 19/3/15 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Iirc some insurance company's will only allow you 12 months without insurance to carry over ncb.

I've got a Sierra log book if somebody wants to insure that to preserve ncb

It's the 'receiving' insurance company that says how long they will accept NCB for. I guess after 12 months the field gets smaller, then after 2 years you're restricted to a handful of insurers who are a bit more flexible.

Mmm, I wonder if I could insure my donor. It's not registered as scrapped, but it is SORN. You can insure a SORN car can't you?

SteveWalker

posted on 19/3/15 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
When my wife was unable to drive through I'll health, we sorned her car and phoned to cancel her insurance; instead they offered her fire, theft and damage only for seven pounds a month - she continued to build up no claims while on this.
CosKev3

posted on 19/3/15 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah
Slimy38

posted on 19/3/15 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Mmm, £117 a year to insure a number plate and some rusty parts... fully comp as well!!
owelly

posted on 19/3/15 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I reduced my kit cars policy to 'storage only' which cost £40/year. It kept building NCB and appeared on the MID as insured!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.