Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help finding replacement LED rear lights
SteveWalker

posted on 31/3/15 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Help finding replacement LED rear lights

I currently have rectangular rear light clusters with integrated reflectors (the same sort that Westfield used for a long time), which are 190mm x 75mm and sit on a "rubber" angle block. I am thinking of replacing these with LED versions and I would prefer to retain the existing block, as it covers the screw holes and has been painted to match the wheel arch colour; however I haven't been able to find any the same size - most are way bigger or only 150mm wide (narrower by the width of the missing reflector).

Has anyone any idea if the right sized clusters are available at all and where? Just after the usual Indicator, reflector and tail-light/brake light type.

gremlin1234

posted on 31/3/15 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
can't you just replace the bulbs?
adamswifty

posted on 31/3/15 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
These should fit your existing holes;

Ebay item 390793470890

SteveWalker

posted on 31/3/15 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
can't you just replace the bulbs?

The idea is to get away from bulbs and bulbholders. I have had more "failed" lamps through corroded bulbholders than through failed bulbs (car and caravan ones).

SteveWalker

posted on 31/3/15 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adamswifty
These should fit your existing holes;

Ebay item 390793470890

Yes, I have seen those and am still considering them. The downsides are that they have their own base rather than fitting the existing ones and they don't incorporate reflectors. I could live with those minor problems, but had hoped that there might be a direct replacement for the existing ones, as I am happy with the existing look.

adamswifty

posted on 1/4/15 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean, I keep looking at them also, and there is something that keeps putting me off. Even though they are probably much lighter.
Myke 2463

posted on 1/4/15 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Try this 2pcs Waterproof 72LED Taillight Reflector Trailer Truck Turn Signal Stop Light ebay ( 151630925778 )

Be Lucky Mike.

gremlin1234

posted on 1/4/15 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
The idea is to get away from bulbs and bulbholders. I have had more "failed" lamps through corroded bulbholders than through failed bulbs (car and caravan ones).
you could solder the led 'bulb' in the holder

DJT

posted on 1/4/15 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
I didn't want to mess with my original install. I had tried aftermarket bulbs from eBay, but they were too blue a light and the light was not diffused very well. In the end I made my own conversion using the 12v LED SMD strip that can be found cheaply on eBay and mounted it on Wickes white square drainpipe. I went for a warm white with the 5050 brighter SMD units. For the connections I sacrificed some old 21W bulbs, soldered the wires in and filled with epoxy, so that the original bulbs can be refitted at any time.

In real life the light is more orange than in the picture. I think the phone camera is not perfect. I suppose yellow/amber/orange LEDs could be used instead.

[Edited on 1-4-2015 by DJT]

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

HowardB

posted on 1/4/15 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
looks good, except that you have a 100% rearward facing pattern, nothing from the side,...

just an observation

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

DJT

posted on 1/4/15 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Fair point. That is true of most of the 'flat' LED rear lights. There's some glow to the side due to the prisms in the lens.

I'm sure in one of my iterations I had some plan for lights on the side. I think I need to do that in a version 2.

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

tims31

posted on 1/4/15 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DJT
I didn't want to mess with my original install. I had tried aftermarket bulbs from eBay, but they were too blue a light and the light was not diffused very well. In the end I made my own conversion using the 12v LED SMD strip that can be found cheaply on eBay and mounted it on Wickes white square drainpipe. I went for a warm white with the 5050 brighter SMD units. For the connections I sacrificed some old 21W bulbs, soldered the wires in and filled with epoxy, so that the original bulbs can be refitted at any time.

Neat idea, looks like a great solution

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

SteveWalker

posted on 1/4/15 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
I had been wondering about looking for square lights small enough to fit inside the existing lenses, but the diy approach looks good to me.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.