Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mopeds and the law?
scotty g

posted on 2/4/15 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Mopeds and the law?

OK people i have a question or two regarding moped laws.
My Step daughter wants to get a new job but it's a bit out of the way, SWMBO has suggested getting her a moped but she only has a provisional license so is she ok to ride it on that?

JoelP

posted on 2/4/15 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
I thought you needed a cbt, but this is definitely one for Google!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MP3C

posted on 2/4/15 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
I was always under the assumption you could ride a moped up to 50cc with only a provisional license from 16 years old as long as it displayed L plates. Although it might have changed since I thought that

Matt

geoff shep

posted on 2/4/15 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped

scotty g

posted on 2/4/15 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Now i know that on my full license i can ride up to 50cc without a cbt but still have to do the cbt for a 125cc but not sure on the rules for provisional?

[Edited on 2/4/15 by scotty g]

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 2/4/15 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Would you really send her out without any training? I would send her for a CBT (and some lessons) whether it was a legal requirement or not.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Slimy38

posted on 2/4/15 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
Would you really send her out without any training? I would send her for a CBT (and some lessons) whether it was a legal requirement or not.

Yep, for the sake of around £100 including bike hire and a day off work I'd recommend the CBT. A provisional licence would mean L plates, and a CBT only lasts for two years (I think) so it'll need renewing or a proper test taken.

loggyboy

posted on 2/4/15 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Even with a full license, if you passed the driving test after 1 February 2001, you need a CBT.

[Edited on 2-4-15 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 2/4/15 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
You can ride a moped at 16 with a provisional, BUT you need L plates and to have completed training, and I believe limited to a <50cc bike. I was utterly shocked when I did my direct access that a 16y/o girl was learning on a "twist 'n' go" moped, but her road knowledge was appalling - she didn't know 80% of the road signs when questioned, or the road layouts or markings.

I believe that you can upgrade to a 125cc with a full licence (again, including L plates), but would thoroughly recommend a CBT. £120 and a day off work, they do off-road training in the morning and a road ride in the afternoon assuming you're safe to do so.

CBT only lasts 2 years, so in that time you either have to complete the A1 & A2 tests, or re-do the CBT. One of the guys on my course was a repeat CBT'er (this was his 4th time) as he only used his 125 to get to and from his house and the station for work as it was easier to park a bike.

I really cannot recommend training enough.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/4/15 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
not so much the law but do you want your step daughter to live through ownership

mopeds have to be one of the most dangerous vehicles to use on the road, the CBT is a joke any muppet can get through it and if passing a CBT is an issue she should walk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 2/4/15 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
I would avoid a 50cc scooter/bike, they just don't have enough power so tend to hold up traffic and create impatience and bad driving.

A 125 is much better in this respect and can still be ridden for two years on a provisional licence with a CBT. However, if it were my daughter I'd ensure she had some proper training, rather than just the basic CBT.

garyo

posted on 2/4/15 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Did a CBT five years ago to ride a 125, and as a 40yr old on a course with two other 16yr olds, would severely recommend sending the young'n on the CBT. The theory was only 20% of the course but the lack of knowledge was stark. The practical side was all good fun - lots of roadcone 3mph tomfoolery. She'll love the day out so it's an easy £80 decision IMO.
morcus

posted on 2/4/15 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Is there no other way to get there? What sort of journey is it?

I grew up just down the motorway from you and I would not want to let someone loose on a 50cc moped on most of the A roads and back roads around there as I used to see the results of so many accidents mostly for the reasons MikeRJ gave but if it's all in town it should be alright. I'd go for the 125 though as the cost difference is minimal (Though I don't know about insurance) the ability to keep up with traffic will make it much safer.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

scotty g

posted on 2/4/15 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
I would want her to do the CBT anyway, it's not like she's a teenager though she is a very sensible 30 year old but then it's not her i'd worry about it's all the idiots around her! The journey would be about 3-4 miles on the A20 just outside Folkestone, i agree with several of your comments, i would rather she had a 125cc for the same reasons as others on here, mopeds are just too slow. SWMBO suggested the 50cc because one came up cheap locally.
Thanks for the input guys.

compturbo

posted on 8/4/15 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely go for a 125! A derestricted 50 might be alright in city situations though. And as stated a CBT is very very easy, and quite good fun! Insurance costs nothing on a 125, and they are ridiculously economical!
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/4/15 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by compturbo
Definitely go for a 125! A derestricted 50 might be alright in city situations though. And as stated a CBT is very very easy, and quite good fun! Insurance costs nothing on a 125, and they are ridiculously economical!

yeah the first time I filled up my old 125 I thought the petrol pump was broken, then I realised it was filled to the top! I liked how they still asked if you want 6 months or 12 months free road tax...ehem what's the cheapest

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.