Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sky doing my nappa in!
coozer

posted on 4/4/15 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sky doing my nappa in!

Not long since I was seeking advise on what to do about my very expensive sky package..

Well, got it down to a more realistic £33.

Just got a letter off them this morning, they want another £3 a month taking it up to £36...

Seriously want to dump it now but really like the format, the catch up TV and series link recording etc...

Also I want to keep the disco and geo and history channels, bairn loves the massive amount of cartoon channels as well...

Is there a PVR box that will do the catch up and recording similar to the sky box?

Is there really a similar setup or have sky got it down up?

Cheers,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

40inches

posted on 4/4/15 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
All Freesat boxes (Humax etc)will do catchup and series link. I dumped SKY 3-4 years ago, don't really miss anything worth paying for.
billy

posted on 4/4/15 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I left sky ages ago as I was just sick of all the adverts! I got a Humax pvr box, it plugs straight into your dish, it has x2 hard drives so you can record a program while watching another, lots of channels and I think you get some catchup stuff now on the newer boxes. I won't be going back to sky

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

Staple balls

posted on 4/4/15 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
We completely binned sky off and replaced it with netflix, catchup services and usenet based cunning for something like £11/mo, pretty much anything you want to watch streamed to any device in the house with very little faffage.

Sure, a few odds and sods are nigh unobtainium, but between the lot we've not been short of viewing, and not had to suffer any repeats (aside from the teenager thing watching marvel movies on loop, constantly)

JC

posted on 4/4/15 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Had a loooong conversation with sky yesterday. Mine went up another £2 - told her I only watch discovery (wheeler dealers!) and why was I being charged for sky plus when I didn't have a sky + box. She initially offered me a bigger subscription, then a 10% discount, then a 25% discount over 10 months, both with a new sky plus HD box. she wouldn't listen when I said my TV has free sat HD built in, and an external HDD that is like sky + so I get most of what I want for free!! After 30 mins she finally did what I wanted and cancelled it!! Within 5 minutes I had an email from the asking me to stay!!!!!!!!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 4/4/15 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, been looking around and the youview from BT looks good.

For £5 a month can get all the freesat channels plus disco Eurosport nat geo animal planet history channel...

Only rub is asked wor lass which channels she wants and the answer... Sky1 for ncis... Doh!

Told her they all on the android TV box but she struggles to use it.....

More experiences please

[Edited on 4/4/15 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Staple balls

posted on 4/4/15 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about it more...

If you look carefully, and ask the right people you might find a bloke (possibly called barry) local to you who sells satellite DVR boxes of eastern european descent for less than the cost of a license fee, and as I understand it, they're not too picky regarding what signals they accept and record.

So I've heard. anyway.

splitrivet

posted on 4/4/15 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a youview box from Talktalk, cant say they are one of the best bits of kit about my freesat box is loads better, but if youve got an Android box why would you want Sky anyroad, mobdro premium is only 3 euros a year so you can record.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

skodaman

posted on 4/4/15 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
'Only rub is asked wor lass which channels she wants and the answer... Sky1 for ncis... Doh!'
Skodawoman watches that all the time as well. I'd pay more for a channel that couldn't get it.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianhurley20

posted on 4/4/15 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I got fed up with the cost of Sky and got rid about 18 months ago - got a digital sat box on the old Astra and Hotbird . Over 1000 channels and its taken ages to figure out which ones I want to watch but I do get F1 live - use radio 5 live sometimes for a commentary and I suppose I've got to learn german or italian to understand the rest.
I wouldn't mind paying 10 or even 15 pounds but its about 37 with my alleged 60% discount which gives me 4 sports channels I don't want, loads of adverts and lots of american crap.
Ok, I miss several programs but not £37 worth
I'll not go back to Sky

coozer

posted on 4/4/15 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I know, the reason i am still with the Sky is she loves the way it works..

Yes, we have a android tv box but she can't use it, she gives up on it cause its not like getting the guide up and selecting the channel....

Maybe I should move the monthly debit other???

I've got a android box with Kodi mobdro and showbox but this all above her..... Its over to me to find the shows, sports and movies.....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 4/4/15 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
I got fed up with the cost of Sky and got rid about 18 months ago - got a digital sat box on the old Astra and Hotbird . Over 1000 channels and its taken ages to figure out which ones I want to watch but I do get F1 live - use radio 5 live sometimes for a commentary and I suppose I've got to learn german or italian to understand the rest.
I wouldn't mind paying 10 or even 15 pounds but its about 37 with my alleged 60% discount which gives me 4 sports channels I don't want, loads of adverts and lots of american crap.
I'll not go back to Sky

What box and dish have you got, I quite fancy a look at some other satellites to see what's available.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ianhurley20

posted on 4/4/15 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
quote:
I'll not go back to Sky

What box and dish have you got, I quite fancy a look at some other satellites to see what's available.

The dish is a 90cm offset with a monoblock LNB giving Hotbird at 13 degand Astra at 19 deg with a single wire feeding a Technomate TM 5402HD receiver with a 1tb USB hard drive. It will do most of the Sky box functions and you can give it softcam and biss keys etc if you know how. I know very little about that but have seen impressive demonstrations in the past. I'm told it will record several channels at once, again if you know how. It has a muticrypt reader so most cards will work even a Sky card. I use it almost exclusively for watching clear F1 programs and the boss has no idea how to switch it on even!
I need to spend a bit more time to learn all its tricks to make the best of it really.

coozer

posted on 5/4/15 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Spoke to sky this afternoon and all I got was the run around telling me to check the terms and conditions and 3 different phone numbers to ring after I went on and on..

Still no further forward.

Leaning towards the BT vision you view. Anybody got it??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 5/4/15 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have the bt tv and have found it to be very good box is very user friendly and all the channels I want plus my son has a Netflix account so we can use that for free aswell.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/4/15 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Just switched over to bt from sky. Fed up with raising bills and crap films 90% of the time on movies subscription.

Once i get the roof aerial sorted it'll be ok, but currently only have the internet channels which are a bit limited.

Just pricing up a server to download stuff from usenet website.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

coozer

posted on 6/4/15 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
So, there we have it, phoned again just now and got a much friendlier dude on the line.. Requested a cancellation, went through the hoops again and this time came out with a £10 a month reduction for 10 months!

Why on earth can they not price the packages down to cost with a margin?????

Still going together a dish and satellite receiver like ian above to see what else I can get

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ianhurley20

posted on 6/4/15 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps this will help then

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Technomate-HD-Receivers

[Edited on 6/4/15 by ianhurley20]

David Jenkins

posted on 6/4/15 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Technomate-HD-Receivers

I love it when an advert shouts "FREE UK POWER LEAD AS STANDARD!" - Oh - how generous of them!

[Edited on 6/4/15 by David Jenkins]

coozer

posted on 6/4/15 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Thanks mate, is that where you got yours from?

I was looking at this site...

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/systems.htm

A mind boggling amount of gear there...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ianhurley20

posted on 6/4/15 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Both are good suppliers - if I were going for a new box now it would probably be a Linux based box which could be flashed with Enigma 2 opr similar. have a look at the you tube vids about the capabilities.
At my last house some years ago I had a motorised 1.2metre dish which gave access to all the satellites. Pre Sky, Discovery used to be at 27.5W and was clear along with other english channels, all gone to sky now sadly. Different ball game now.
Good luck with whatever you go for.

kj

posted on 6/4/15 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Given up on sky paying for nowt

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.