Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "Supreme" diesel
BenB

posted on 6/4/15 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
"Supreme" diesel

Does anyone use supreme diesel or other such super diesels or are they snake oil? Leaded vs super unleaded I get. But diesel? If people notice a difference is it placebo? Curious to know what people think.
joneh

posted on 6/4/15 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
It's supposed to burn cleaner and be economical but I've never noticed any difference. I expect you could see the difference on a rolling road but not with every day driving. Probably depends on the car, the Jeep will drink any old crap, but the latest Gt TDI might like it a bit more.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/4/15 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
They tend to have additives in for cleaning injectors etc. worth sticking a full tank through every now and again

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

mark chandler

posted on 6/4/15 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I run my cars on it, I feel it gives better performance but then I do also add 250ml per tank full of synthetic two stroke oil which does improve economy and cold start clatter is much reduced.

The main reason for the oil is to lubricate the pump and injectors, modern diesel has virtually no lubrication properties so anything that keeps my high mileage cars trundling on is worthwhile IMHO

[Edited on 6/4/15 by mark chandler]

Slimy38

posted on 6/4/15 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with you, I can see how super unleaded works (especially with closed loop ignition), but diesel cars don't work in the same way. I do know some people say it reduces smoke for 'chipped' cars, and I can see an occasional run cleaning things through. Seeing as my only diesel car is my company car, and it's in my favour to use cheap fuel, I doubt I'll ever try it!
CosKev3

posted on 6/4/15 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
I run it in my VRS all the time now, it deffo makes a difference to how smooth the engine is, also cleaner rear end of car/tailpipe.
You need to run a few tanks though to get it to its best.
My VRS runs 2.3bar of boost and made 239bhp/355lb ft few weeks ago, so perhaps the benefits of supreme diesel are more noticeable on mine because its tuned

[Edited on 6/4/15 by CosKev3]

SteveWallace

posted on 6/4/15 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
On a similar note, are people seeing noticeable performance improvements when running super unleaded as opposed to normal unleaded in their 7's? I've not done a lot of mileage in mine yet and, out of habit as much as anything else, I've just been putting normal unleaded in the tank.
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/4/15 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I work at an oil refinery, we make the stuff I'll find out whats in it.
I was really surprised to find out that "summer" gasoline is different to "winter" gasoline, interesting stuff.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Tatey

posted on 6/4/15 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
The higher octane rating of the 'supreme' diesel will reduce the cyclic variation of the fuel burn. Essentially it is a more stable burning fuel meaning it will ignite closer to the ideal burn point of the engine, thus improving efficiency/emissions and the like and giving more power. It also has the added benefit of having better knock tolerance meaning you can run higher compression ratios. How much you'll actually notice the difference between this and normal pump fuel I guess will depend on how you drive your car.
wilkingj

posted on 6/4/15 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I have driven to and from Oban in Scotland from Cambridge in my Mondeo diesel on both Shell std Diesel (51mpg) and Shell "Super" diesel (59mpg) and Supermarket diesel (Tesco) (48mpg).
Bearing in mind thats a 600mile each way and all done at 60mph, as our party included a Fiat Ducatto Van fully laden and towing a 750kg trailer and they are limted to 60 on the motorway.

As we do to Scotland every year as a group (5 or 6 vehicles) I have tried these fuels and as its a steady mph, it makes a good comparison.

Round town I get a steady 43 mpg on Std Shell. I tend only to use Shell, and as a second choice, ANY fuel that has their own Wells, refineries and distribution etc. eg BP, Esso, Texaco etc.

I have over 130k miles of fuel stats accumulated over 13 years of driving my 2.5L Diesel Land Rover. I found that I got on the Landy, approx 1.2 to 2.8 mpg better with Shell than with Supermarket fuel (I tested for 3 or 4 months at a time sticking to one grade /manufacturer of diesel)

Now 1.2 Mpg doesnt sound much. However, when you equate it to Pence per mile, its a LOT different.
In those days, and we are talking 5-15 years ago, It cost 1p per litre more for Shell. So thats 4.5p per gallon more.
However, at 14p per mile fuel cost, times 1.2mpg saved, thats 16.8p per gallon saving.
Take away the 4.5p per gallon increased cost, that left me with a NET Gain of 12 pence per gallon.
Just worked it out, that was when fuel was £3.69 per gallon!

At 2.8mpg (motorway / cruising) increase gave me a NET Gain of 34 pence per gallon.
Now tell me if you saw a sign saying 34p per gallon cheaper you wouldnt be in there like a shot out of a gun!

I dont know what the figures are today. Those figures were on my Land Rover at an average of 26MPG. Disel was also lot cheaper in those days.
Modern cars do far more that 26mpg, so you would need to check the figures for your car and work it out.
In principle it worked to my advantage.
I have seen a similar increase / saving with my 2006 Diesel Mondeo, so it works for any vehicle.
Its just whether you can take the time, to carefully Log your consumption, and work it out over a longer period.
1.2mpg didnt sound much, but 12p per gallon saving, shows it was worth while to do those figures and the maths.

I still believe this, and have done tests in the Mondeo and they prove to me its still worth doing.
I dont know what the savings are with the Modeo, but its definately a saving, however small.

Geoff

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 6/4/15 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
I was really surprised to find out that "summer" gasoline is different to "winter" gasoline, interesting stuff.

IIRC from many years ago the reason is that in winter you need "lighter elements of fuel that vaporise easier for improved cold starting amongst other reasons whereas in summer you need the opposite to stop the fuel evaporating too easily. Crude oil from various parts of the world was refined and blended accordingly

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/4/15 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
correct I believe winter fuel has a higher butane content for that reason

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey

IIRC from many years ago the reason is that in winter you need "lighter elements of fuel that vaporise easier for improved cold starting amongst other reasons whereas in summer you need the opposite to stop the fuel evaporating too easily. Crude oil from various parts of the world was refined and blended accordingly

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

BenB

posted on 6/4/15 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I might just give it a go and see what happens!
HowardB

posted on 7/4/15 at 04:42 AM Reply With Quote
I used to run optimax in the wrx. Noticeably better. I use the shell premium diesel now. It certainly gives better mpg if only by about 20 miles in a tank...

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

threadbare wallet

posted on 7/4/15 at 05:37 AM Reply With Quote
As i dont pay for me fuel i tend to play about and record the results a fair bit over time,we have notuce that running the super unleaded in all the petrol cars we have(ml320 jeep v8/v6 and the kit) has improved the mpg more than enough to counter the increase the costs as well as feeling more"alive", as for the super diesel it makes the vw caddy feel more alive and improves the mpg but it is very marginal in covering the cost increase(some months in dint not sure if its the different roads that month?) But it runs a lot cleaner(tested) and mate with a 530d bmw is getting much greater mpg as he sits on motorways alday.

Very few things are "really" needed.

PSpirine

posted on 7/4/15 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Petrol:

"Supreme" fuels have higher octane ratings. Depending on the car, this may help or may make no difference at all. Despite what people say, production cars are optimised to work on 95RON (in UK temps at least), and this includes "performance cars" (I'm talking a 500hp V8 Jag, not a Ferrari).

If you tune your car or operate it where detonation is a limiting factor (or approaching it), higher octane petrol will make your engine run better, otherwise it shouldn't make any difference.

"Supreme" fuels also tend to have more additives (sort of like adding Redex) - these do normally help with cleaner running, but it's very difficult to quantify. Also, different cars will respond differently to it, so your results may vary.

Diesel:

It's mainly all about the additives. But to be fair, diesels are more likely benefit more from additives than (production) petrol engines.

Again, cars are tuned to run on the bog standard oil stuff, not premium.

Premium fuels DO contain more additives, which DO offer benefits for your engine and injection system, but whether they offer a measurable performance/economy gain, will depend largely on your car - but I wouldn't be expecting miracles.

If you can claim your fuel back, use the premium stuff. I've used both in my Prius, and noticed no measurable difference. My 64 plate evoque only ever burns standard diesel, might give it a go on the expensive stuff to check, but my driving cycle is so varied I'd struggle to make a comparison.

compturbo

posted on 8/4/15 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
I also thought I noticed a difference in my PD tdi. Never knew if it was a placebo or not but I guess not! Learn something new every day
FASTdan

posted on 8/4/15 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
I run it in my VRS all the time now, it deffo makes a difference to how smooth the engine is, also cleaner rear end of car/tailpipe.
My VRS runs 2.3bar of boost and made 239bhp/355lb ft few weeks ago, so perhaps the benefits of supreme diesel are more noticeable on mine because its tuned

2.3 bar of boost?! I'm not into diesels at all, but i had no idea they needed such levels of boost to perform?!

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
CosKev3

posted on 8/4/15 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3

2.3 bar of boost?! I'm not into diesels at all, but i had no idea they needed such levels of boost to perform?!

Yeah they run high boost compared to petrols,standard VRS runs just over 1bar at 130bhp.

Mines running a GTB series turbo off a V6 Tdi Audi,higher tensile PD150 head bolts,exhaust system and custom remap.
So not a great deal of mods to make the power it does over standard,I do all my own spanner work and it's cost just over a grand for the mods to get to this power,also still does over 50mpg with ease if you can keep your foot up
It's M3 performance without the fuel bill!

compturbo

posted on 8/4/15 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I got my Ibiza pd130 up to 190bhp and it was an animal for what it was! So much torque. Great everyday car, especially with that 6 speed box.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.