Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: superchargers/turbows
ceebmoj

posted on 29/11/04 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
superchargers/turbows

superchargers/turbos

ok I am miles away from this at the moment so it is all hipothetical. But afrer spending the evning feteling with my gear shift ad some other engin bits I was wondering bout supercharing my engin using a miny super chagers as it is all self contained. so has any one done this? wher have thay taken the power from? (as you cant get a puly on the crank) would I be beter off with a turbo insted?
any thorts? I am using a vtwin engin so I guess I could just ues a anothe engin and get more powere but thiis seams more intresting to me.

tadltd

posted on 30/11/04 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
TTS Supercharger conversion: £4500, not including new pistons + re-plated barrels(£1000), power commander (£284), connecting rods (£800), and billet clutch basket (£275).

Total: £6859 + VAT! (not including fitting)

I just had that quote in today, from TTS for a ZX12 engine. It would be similar for yours. You need the stonger pistons, rods, and clutch basket, plus the power commander to map it all, but you could see about 300bhp.

The superchargers are normally run off the water pump drive, forcing you to adopt an electric water pump (circa £200 inc. controller), but this is also where the oil-pump is normally driven from if you runa dry-sump, so it seems you have one or t'other, but not both!

Turbo's - as you know - are driven by the exhaust, but you'd still need to upgrade the pistons, rods, and clutch, as well as install the power commander. Not to mention the cost of the turbo and it's associated paraphanalia!

Getting a bike engine to develop big power is expensive!

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ceebmoj

posted on 30/11/04 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
well that showes me where I am at maby look in to having some of thoes bits made and how much thay cost :-) but at that sort of price I could get a nice engin and transaxle.
alister667

posted on 30/11/04 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Have a read of this thread http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=17468 it may be possible to run a modest boost on a bike engine without changing the internals too much.

All the best
Ali

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phil_far

posted on 1/12/04 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yes,
Read teh book from Joe Hale. You can increase your power upto 70 - 90 bhp without touching the internals. The only thing to change is the compression ratio (you need to lower it) and even that you have to be careful with. Mr Turbo recommends that in reality the effective compression ratio of a bike engine is much less than quoted when you factor in the valve overlap. This is because they were designed to breath at 10,000rpm+!
Yes you can turbo a bike engine and get good power!

Philip

Micke Fredriksson

posted on 1/12/04 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil_far
Yes,
Read teh book from Joe Hale. You can increase your power upto 70 - 90 bhp without touching the internals. The only thing to change is the compression ratio (you need to lower it) and even that you have to be careful with. Mr Turbo recommends that in reality the effective compression ratio of a bike engine is much less than quoted when you factor in the valve overlap. This is because they were designed to breath at 10,000rpm+!
Yes you can turbo a bike engine and get good power!

Hi! I can confirm that you CAN get very good power from a bike engine- I did. My engine have stock rods and pistones and a thicker headgasket (10.0-1) and I boost 0,9bar in pressure.
And if you are a rather handy man, you can build your own turbokit- Mine conversion did cost 11500sek (~£876) in parts (fuel injektion "MS", intakemanifold, fuel pump, new turbo, IC, clutch uppgrade, headgasket, stainless exhaust system, etc....)
280hp / 190nm on 1000cc!!!!

Take a look here: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=19598

[Edited on 1/12/04 by Micke Fredriksson]

/ Micke Fredriksson

JoelP

posted on 1/12/04 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
a few people on this list have turbo'd their own bike engines. garage19 for one has, probably others.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.