Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Numpty MS2 questions
40inches

posted on 17/4/15 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Numpty MS2 questions

MAP, MAF or both?
Is there any benefit from one over the other, and is there a worthwhile (if any) benefit from fitting both?

EDIS Module.
I have a FORD 6 cylinder coil pack and EDIS module. Which is best, running the coil with the Module, or direct from the MS2?

luke2152

posted on 17/4/15 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
MAP is generally better. MAF is more accurate but creates a restriction in the inlet and can run into problems measuring the same air twice if it is pulsating (hot cams etc). Very few people run MAF.

I don't have experience with edis but it simplifies the wiring. If you're building the whole ms2 I see no reason not to build your own coil circuits. I used toyota COP's which are cheap and readily available and let you run sequential spark.

edit: Didn't realise you already had the edis module when I suggested the toyota COP's

[Edited on 17/4/15 by luke2152]

big-vee-twin

posted on 17/4/15 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
MAP if you are using ITB's and its built into the MS2.

I didnt use EDIS - why would you rely on something over 30 years old when you have a new MS2 was my thoughts, so I built a second ignition circuit when I built the MS2 and got rid of EDIS.

Had no issues.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

40inches

posted on 17/4/15 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yea! I have the EDIS and coil pack already, I also have a 65mm Ford MAF,and will using a manifold and throttle body.
The idea is to get a MS2 from Extra EFI, so I need to know what set up to order, I will then take the car to Bailey's for a rolling road session.

coozer

posted on 17/4/15 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I used the EDIS and tps.

Will be doing the same again on the rv8...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

40inches

posted on 17/4/15 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I used the EDIS and tps.

Will be doing the same again on the rv8...

Have you used MS2? My understanding is that it will fire the coils directly, without using the module.

BaileyPerformance

posted on 17/4/15 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
MAP when using ITBs. No chance.

TPS in alpha N is the only way to go if running throttle bodies.

MAP only works if running a common plenum.

MAF is the only true way to map an engine, as it measures actual air flow. (Mass) so no need for an air temp sensor

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 17/4/15 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaileyPerformance
MAP when using ITBs. No chance.

TPS in alpha N is the only way to go if running throttle bodies.

MAP only works if running a common plenum.

MAF is the only true way to map an engine, as it measures actual air flow. (Mass) so no need for an air temp sensor

So if I fit the MAF, could you map the MS2? And in your opinion would a MAP also be any benefit?

BaileyPerformance

posted on 17/4/15 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
We conversed a TVR (4.6 v8) to modern MAF with MS2 today.

MS2 supports MAF as standard.

Yes we would love to map it for you.

Unless the engine is turbo / SC no advantage to MAP as well as MAF.

But, you will still need a TPS for other functions

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BaileyPerformance

posted on 17/4/15 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I would probably get rid if the EDIS, you don't have too, but I prefer direct fire coilpack from the megasquirt.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.