Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford rear disk conversion
mazie

posted on 15/11/15 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have the pair I got from Daf, not using them now so your welcome to them. Also have a pair of mx5 calipers complete if interested.

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

ChrisL

posted on 15/11/15 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, yes, interested, let me know what you want for the adaptors and the callipers?
Cheers
Chris

ChrisL

posted on 27/1/16 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Brake calipers are all refurbished, so almost ready for the build, one question how long do the mounting bolts need to be?

Edit: Sorry being thick, have measured 30mm

[Edited on 28/1/16 by ChrisL]

Daf

posted on 29/1/16 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
I guess you've answered your own question? If you're still stuck give me a shout I can go and measure my set up for you
daveb666

posted on 29/1/16 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Df, any chance you could send me the drawing for the bracket? My mate has a cnc so will knock me an individual set up for nowt.

Unless there are 14 people waiting in the wings that will join in ordering a set from you? :-)

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

DJT

posted on 29/1/16 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Only just seen this. Very interesting. Much better idea than hunting down old Sierra parts.

I'd be interested if there is another batch in the offing. Or if not, the dimensions/design (if that's not too cheeky).

Thanks,

David.

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

ChrisL

posted on 31/1/16 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
What have people down for the handbrake cake, modified the sierra one or used an MX5 one?
Daf

posted on 31/1/16 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I could get another batch made up if we got enough people together no problem.

For the handbrake cable I've used MX5 cables - for me they were pretty much exactly the right size, I've taken them to the sierra lever via an MGF cable balancer.

ChrisL

posted on 1/2/16 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Cool, probably easier modifying the handbrake lever end then the brake caliper end...
Daf

posted on 2/2/16 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisL
Cool, probably easier modifying the handbrake lever end then the brake caliper end...

Is it a sierra handbrake lever you're using?

ChrisL

posted on 2/2/16 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
That's what I've got at the moment
ChrisL

posted on 3/2/16 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Out of interest what inside diameter do your fiesta discs have? the ones I have are 130mm and the hubs are 140mm

[Edited on 4/2/16 by ChrisL]

F1SJL

posted on 6/2/16 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Are these brackets still available?

Thanks

Steve

ChrisL

posted on 7/2/16 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Bump

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisL
Out of interest what inside diameter do your fiesta discs have? the ones I have are 130mm and the hubs are 140mm

[Edited on 4/2/16 by ChrisL]

Daf

posted on 8/2/16 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry I missed all of this due to a leak in my bathroom - sorry for the delay in responding!

The fiesta front disks are MK1/2 but not XR2.

The rear hubs may need to be turned down to fit the disk over them, apparently there are two types from what I've read but I'm not an expert on this I'm afraid so can't be sure. It's a simple enough job for a local e

I have used a sierra handbrake lever, a short length of M6 threaded bar instead of the sierra bit and an MGF balancer. It all goes together with no problems and without modifications.

ChrisL

posted on 8/2/16 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
No worries Daf, hope you've sorted the leak, I could bore you with stories of the leaks in my house including the copper pipe mounted in cement one! but I'm sure you've got better thing to do..

So I've bought what I believe are fiesta mk1 front discs, and was expecting the internal diameter (where the hubs fit) to be around 134mm but they are 130mm. As the hubs are 140mm they'll need 10mm taking off the diameter, which seems a lot. It'll only leave 1-2mm of hub on the outside of the two inspection/access holes. So I wanted to check what size someone else's were, to see if: the discs I have are the right size and: if it's ok to reduce the hub down to 130mm

On the hand brake front I've bought an MX5 handbrake cable and think I it'll do. the existing sierra cables have been modified at the lever end, so I'll just have to make the same mod (and buy a second cable)

Cheers
Chris

Daf

posted on 8/2/16 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
The moral of the leak is don't buy showerwall stuff, it's made from MDF. MDF and showers don't mix well!

Anyway...!

The inspection holes on my hubs look like letter C now as apposed to holes, the hubs I have turned down beyond the outermost point of the inspection holes. I've been trying to find a photograph but can't find one - I'm sure I have one somewhere so I'll post it when I do.

Daf

posted on 8/2/16 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
You can see my rear hubs in this picture, really not the best picture but one is in the top right of the stuff and one is in the middle of the picture - you can just about work them out and how much they've been turned down. I'm sure I have better pictures somewhere!

[Edited on 8/2/16 by Daf]

ChrisL

posted on 8/2/16 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Daf, that certainly answers the question!
ChrisL

posted on 28/2/16 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
I'm slowly moving forward, however need a sanity check. The n lining the plates up I can't seem to h
get the three hum bolts to line up. Pictures below show what I mean (and yes I know the adaptor plate bolts on to the outside, the picture with it sandwiched between the hub carrier and the suspension was just so I could make where the new hole should go)

Description
Description

and

Description
Description

So do I drill another hole as below (black dot) or am I missing something aka being thick?

Description
Description

djtom

posted on 29/2/16 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
try fitting it the other way up. I seem to remember that the sierra hub carriers don't have equidistantly spaced bolts. The distance between the bolts on each of the long sides of the "rectangle" that they form is different.
Daf

posted on 29/2/16 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djtom
try fitting it the other way up. I seem to remember that the sierra hub carriers don't have equidistantly spaced bolts. The distance between the bolts on each of the long sides of the "rectangle" that they form is different.

I think this may be the issue - looking at the pictures too it looks like you might be better off fitting the calliper underneath as the handbrake mechanism might need the same space as your damper.

I will measure my bolt spacing to confirm this evening, but you shouldn't need to drill any extra holes.

ChrisL

posted on 1/3/16 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
I'd tried it left and right but not upside down. I'll have another bash this weekend. I did try lining it up with the wrong holes so that the caliper would have sat at 12 o'clock which would have been perfect, apart from being to tight on the disk...

Cheers
Chris

ChrisL

posted on 3/3/16 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to get out to the garage and low and behold the plate fits, but it's upside down and positions the calliper right next to a large bit of the suspension, so it'll never fit there. Interestingly as my Tiger uses most of the back end from a sierra it looks like your hubs are upside down :-0 ! So I think I'm going to re-drill the plates with the brake calliper at 12 o'clock as that's the best position for them (unless anyones got some bright ideas?). At least I'm not going mad!

Few pic's for those that are interested:

Description
Description

and clearance (Clarence)

Description
Description

Cheers
Chris

djtom

posted on 3/3/16 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hubs upside down is not good news - the reason they only bolt up one way is because the bearing carriers are tapered and this gives the wheel negative camber. If they're upside down the geometry of the rear end could well be a little odd with positive camber!
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.