Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what replaced engineering city and guilds in 1976
bart

posted on 28/4/15 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
what replaced engineering city and guilds in 1976

hi i'm in a pickle

I completed an engineering apprenticeship and attended college sometime in the late ish 1970's
when I did so city and guilds hnc , hnd was no more and I believe something called tec 1 , 2 , and 3 took over

trouble is as soon as I finished it was all abandoned and it all went back to city and guilds DOH !

now the question

does any one else remember what it was really called as I need to write a cv for the first time in my life

I know i'm not dreaming it , but even city and guilds control have no idea what i'm talking about.

so come on all you young at hart mid fifty's players rack your brains for me please .

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

loggyboy

posted on 28/4/15 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
From WIki
In 1973, the Technician Education Council (TEC) was created to unify technical education, eventually taking over the validation of courses in further and higher education. These courses led to Ordinary National Certificates and Diplomas (ONC/Ds) and Higher National Certificates and Diplomas (HNC/Ds), which were previously the responsibility of professional bodies.

Mistral Motorsport

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 28/4/15 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Btec I think.
bart

posted on 28/4/15 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
thanks looked at that , i'm still a bit confused don't ring quite correct
it implies it is some sort of basic school lever qualification. from which you go onto ocn /hnd

the course I undertook was at a higher level , and was defiantly told it was at least onc / hnc equivalent .

some of the subjects
logic circuits in hydraulics and pneumatics
quite high level mathematics.
metrology
composition of materials
and a lot more things to do with mechanical engineering ( all from dim memory )

if it helps it was day release for 4 years , although I remember some people also doing block release .

another one that has been mentioned to me was BTEC but this does not ring correct either

ref Ian : you posted at same time as me ref BTEC think I need to look at that further

[Edited on 28/4/15 by bart]

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 28/4/15 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
When I did my apprenticeship city and guilds and btec and the btec course was the higher graded course.
bart

posted on 28/4/15 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
thanks ian think you have me on the correct course ( pun ) to look

mark chandler

posted on 28/4/15 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
I did an HNC in electrical engineering, then did an apprentiship with BT which included BTEC 1,2 & 3. The 3 was considered an equivilent to HNC, if you carried on you could do levels 4 & 5 which were then the equivilent of a HND although my mind is fuzzy.

I did them all, calculators were quite recent then so we were also taught with slide rules in the first year!!!

scimjim

posted on 28/4/15 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
As loggyboy and Ian said, BTEC was rolled out in the 70s - C&G is still around.

My 1986 BTEC (Business & Technician Education Council) Certificate is also entitled "National Diploma in Engineering" it was an OND (Ordinary National Diploma) course and there were others doing ONC (Ordinary National Certificate), HNC (Higher National Certificte) and HND (Higher National Diploma) courses as well as C&G. I have a list of 26 modules completed at levels 1-3 with different unit values.

When I came to do an HNC in 1998 it was entitled BTEC but also "EDEXCEL Foundation" and the Levels are all "H"

big-vee-twin

posted on 28/4/15 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
There was also a HTC. Similar to the Btec HNC

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

scimjim

posted on 28/4/15 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
There was also a HTC. Similar to the Btec HNC

wasn't that a phone?

James

posted on 28/4/15 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Is it worth going into the details of a course you did 30+ years ago? A CV should only be about 2 pages!

I don't bother listing my A-levels in any detail. Never been asked about them as far as I remember.

Good luck with the job hunting!!!!

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

mds167

posted on 29/4/15 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Is it worth going into the details of a course you did 30+ years ago? A CV should only be about 2 pages!

I don't bother listing my A-levels in any detail. Never been asked about them as far as I remember.

James

If the qualification is relevant to the application and has a current equivalent then it should certainly be on there. If it wasn't relevant to the role and had been superceded by a higher level - you did a degree after A levels, for example, then you might leave them off.

Do put all your job roles on your CV (so it matches any application form used for referencing).

Good luck!

"No, you can't lick the system; but you can give it a damn good fondling."

Slimy38

posted on 29/4/15 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

James

Oddly enough I did get asked about my A levels in a recent interview for Coventry Building Society, it took me a while to find the certificates considering they're >20 years old!

In general my CV just says '3 A levels'.

Coming back to the original post, my qualification was 'BTEC HND in telecommunications', that was mid nineties I think?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.