Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: lotus Elise S1 rattle after refresh...... Help
b14wrc

posted on 4/5/15 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
lotus Elise S1 rattle after refresh...... Help

Hi All,

Just wondered if any one on here has any suggestions, I've just done a full suspension refresh on my 99' S1 and replaced every thing. Every thing is tight and the only thing I have really changed from the original set up is the shocks. I'm running S2 Protech adjustables.

The noise sounds like it's coming from all corners and reminds me of a snooker ball rattling around. Any thoughts. Every thing is solid and the car feels fairly good, damping control is spot on, just it irritates me spending all this money and the car actually sounds worse than the 90k clonking it did before I rebuilt it.

I was wondering if it had to do with the rose jointed shock joints, I know you can have either rose joints or bushes..... Might call Protech.

Any advise really welcome as I'm going to a car show in a few weeks and still need the geo doing. Considered cleaning the blisteins up and putting them back on.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

Piooly

posted on 4/5/15 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I had protechs on my sport 160 and they were very good. My freind also had them and had a similar sound to yours. His was a 111s s1. When he turned the shocks the other way round, no more sound!! Which way round did you mount them? Is the rebound adjuster at the top or bottom?
b14wrc

posted on 4/5/15 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Very interesting. The damper knob is at the bottom. That's the way I was told to fit.

See the video.....

http://youtu.be/6xx9u3-No_I

Rob

Angel Acevedo

posted on 4/5/15 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
No offense, but, did you verified the fit of the bolts.
You may have play there
HTH

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
b14wrc

posted on 5/5/15 at 05:27 AM Reply With Quote
Bolts were tight lol. I've checked everything.

Put the old bilsteins back on and omg, it's perfect.i think it's due to the new shocks being rose jointed, you hear every bump and vibration as its metalon metal.going to see if I can replace the rose joints in the protechs for bushes like in my old ones.

Honestly think the protechs had a softer less harsh ride to the bilsteins but can't live with the noise they make. Going to talk to the supplier later today and see what can be done. Cheers.Rob

rodgling

posted on 5/5/15 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
I had rose jointed Nitrons on mine, they were silent. Something is not right, give Protech a call. Bolts too small (M12 instead of 1/2" possibly)?
Angel Acevedo

posted on 5/5/15 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
I had rose jointed Nitrons on mine, they were silent. Something is not right, give Protech a call. Bolts too small (M12 instead of 1/2" possibly)?

This is what I meant on my previous post.
I hope you get it sorted.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
b14wrc

posted on 5/5/15 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Hummm, M12 and 1/2", thats an interesting point. The shocks were made specifically for the elise as Protech dont supply direct for it - went through SJ Sports.com. I would have thought they were right and they were a snug fit in the brackets.....

sdh2903

posted on 5/5/15 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Have seen the "m12 bolt in a 1/2 inch hole" a couple of times. I very nearly did it my self on my build. It's not massively obvious on assembly so Def worth a look.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.