Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: major electrical problems
ditchlewis

posted on 4/5/15 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
major electrical problems

Hi guys it's been a while.. the old no Indy has been laid up for two years.

I went to jump start it as the battery was stone dead and both cars nearly went up in flames..... the jump leads started to melt and I just got them off in time.

I just sat depressed on the ground for a while. It was ok before I drove it into the garage for its inforced lay up.

I think it may need a rewire. Where can I get a new loom and how much are they.

Ditch

IanSouthLincs

posted on 4/5/15 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Snowy2 posted an excellent guide to making your own loom

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=169470

I'm currently doing it right now and I have to say it's been a godsend of a guide, give it a go mate it will be loads cheaper and you'll be wiring exactly what you need.

Hope Snowy2 doesn't mind me posting the link

ianm67

posted on 4/5/15 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a dead short to me. Assuming that the two cars weren't touching and the jump leads were fitted correctly I suspect it may be a battery fault.

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

hkp57

posted on 4/5/15 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Can you give a bit more info,

What type of engine is in the Indy

Assuming a bike engine- What Battery were you running in the Indy

The car being used to jump, was it running and being revved?

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

britishtrident

posted on 4/5/15 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds more like wrong polarity to me.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Rosco

posted on 4/5/15 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
There's obviously a serious fault somewhere but I would think it's easy to find and may just be a short within your old battery - that would the first place to start. The other circuits should be protected by fuses so don't panic just yet.

About the only circuits that are not fused are the lead to the ignition switch, the feed to the starter motor and the feed from the alternator. To melt jump leads takes a fairly high current so if the short is in the lead to the ignition switch it would be obvious as this is a much smaller cable and will now be badly and visibly damaged. Similarly the cable to the alternator. Less so the cable to the starter motor.

I suggest the order to check things is:
Visual check for any burnt cables
Disconnect the old battery
Check the ignition is switched off and connect the jumpers again - but do it through a fuse this time (any size should do - say 20A)
If you blow the fuse disconnect the alternator and starter motor and try again...
If the fuse is OK, remove it from the circuit and try the start the car on the jumpers but without your old battery.

Hope this helps.

trextr7monkey

posted on 4/5/15 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with British Trident - brother in law lost a Transit doing that😕

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

ditchlewis

posted on 4/5/15 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
the old girl is running a pinto so the voltage is correct for car to car.

unless the polarity in the MK's battery has changed then the jump leads were + to + and - to -.

I have remembered something though. a year or so ago I put the car on charge and later found that one of the boys had charged his scooter and then replaced the charger without returning it to car mode.

what are the possibilities of major damage to the loom, there was lots of smoke.

ditch.

perksy

posted on 4/5/15 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
You'll only really know when you start to check visually and do some testing.

If your lucky it won't be too bad, Smoke doesn't necessarily mean major damage and as said above hopefully some of the fuses will have blown and saved serious damage.

My money would be on the rectifier in the alternator being fried for a start though...

ditchlewis

posted on 4/5/15 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
thanks rosco I will try those tests to start.

I was going to replace the dash board so I will start stripping the car down and look for damage.

just in case are premier wiring looms still available should the worst come to the worst?

I know that I may be jumping to conclusions but at the moment things are not going well.

last months problems -

dad died
someone emptied my bank account on the day of my dads funeral

I know and I am positive and not sad but what can go wrong will go wrong, just remembered the dyson hoover expired today perhaps I should stop using this computer before it too explodes

ditch

coozer

posted on 4/5/15 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
My moneys on the battery having been standing festering away inside, breaking down and apply the load has caused a short.

I had one on my 106, battery looked ok on the multimeter, charged ok but turning the key nothing happened part from the battery getting very hot. Connected another car for a jump start and it still wouldn't go but nearly stalled the other car dragging tons of current..

A new battery sorted that one...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ditchlewis

posted on 4/5/15 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I think I will start with taking the old battery out and using the other car to jump start it then buy a new battery.

as a matter of course I will also strip the car back a bit and examine the cabling for obvious signs of problems.

cheers lads.

ditch

snowy2

posted on 5/5/15 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IanSouthLincs
Snowy2 posted an excellent guide to making your own loom

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=169470

I'm currently doing it right now and I have to say it's been a godsend of a guide, give it a go mate it will be loads cheaper and you'll be wiring exactly what you need.

Hope Snowy2 doesn't mind me posting the link

not at all.....i am pleased someone finds it useful.
i be doing it again to my new project soon as well

Dave.....

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

britishtrident

posted on 5/5/15 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
The clue is the wiring damage the ONLY thing that will do this is getting the polarity wrong.

If the polarity is wrong you get a dead short with close to 24v across it, the result is easily a current of 1000+ amps through the jump leads.
I addition the good battery reversed polarity will dominate, so the diodes in alternator stator are no longer blocking current and the alternator stator windings become a dead short.

Although your battery was probably goosed to start with it wasn't the cause, batteries don't dead short across all the cells, you may get one shorted cell (aka a "dead" or "gassing cell" but the odds of getting all 9 cells shorted is very low. In any event jumps starting even completely shorted battery will have no effect on the vehicle wiring only put a massive load on the jump leads and donor battery.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ditchlewis

posted on 5/5/15 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I was extremely careful to ensure the correct polarity on the jump leads. I have used my Passat a number of time to jump start the Indy.

unless the battery switched polarity then that was correct.

I did notice arcing as I connected the clips to the terminal on the indy even though it was not connected to the other car at that time. is that a crucial piece of info? never done that before.

ditch

coyoteboy

posted on 5/5/15 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Did the damage occur when initially attaching the cables or only when starting?

"I did notice arcing as I connected the clips to the terminal on the indy even though it was not connected to the other car at that time. is that a crucial piece of info? never done that before. "

This makes no sense unless they were shorted to something or internal to themselves (two-core cable been trapped?).

[Edited on 5/5/15 by coyoteboy]

adithorp

posted on 5/5/15 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming your polarity was correct (and that wasmy first thought)...

If the Indy battery was completely dead, then you will get some current flow from the slave battery to the dead one as that leaches power from the good one and some sparks are common. How good are your jump leads? Cheap ones do tend to get hot and smoke if jumping car with a dead battery when the slave battery is doing all the work; Seen it loads of times with customers trying to jump start thier own cars with Halfords leads but all's fine when we do it.

Either replace the Indy battery completely or disconnect it and use good/heavy jump leads as a first stop.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ditchlewis

posted on 5/5/15 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have to admit that the jump leads are Halford specials.... and I think that the battery is totally dead. I also noted no fuses had blown.
So new battery and try it again..

Cheers I feel better about all this.

Ditch

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.