Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: thoughts on this
steve-hv8

posted on 9/5/15 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
thoughts on this

has anyone tried this welder
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wolf-Mig140-Welder-Gas-No-Gas-Combination-Turbo-Smooth-DC-Welder-Accessory-Set-/281454792648?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash= item4188034fc8
looking for one to start learning with

big_wasa

posted on 10/5/15 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
The cheaper the welder the harder it is to learn to weld.
garyt

posted on 10/5/15 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve did you get the ready built chassis?
If not try and get a welder with or will take the larger bottles of gas and use an argon mix it will make life easier for you as if doing a chassis from scratch those disposable cannisters wont last long at all, I was lucky that I had free access to welder , wire and gas through work ( and a very understanding / helpful boss)
Gary

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

garyt

posted on 10/5/15 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
should have said , get yourself an auto darkening mask they can be had for not a lot , I paid £20 for one and it really helped me, again anything that makes life easier, try gumtree in your area aswell you might find a higher spec/ larger bottles locally, 2nd hand (see it working). someone will correct me but I would recommend to stay with gas as opposed to gasless
Gary

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

Slimy38

posted on 10/5/15 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
That's the welder I have, although mine is rebranded powercraft. I've had no problems with mine, and that price is roughly what I paid for mine.

You'll need to add on the cost of a full tank of gas and a regulator (disposables are completely useless to learn, they have about four minutes of gas and you can use that up just getting things setup), and I'd also recommend an auto darkening helmet. The one it comes with is completely useless, not just because it's permanently dark but because it's handheld, and welding is a two handed job.

Oldaker

posted on 10/5/15 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
My Sealey mig died after 26 years of use and I bought one of these as a replacement. It's fine - works quite well. I don't think the wire feed is as good as my old Sealey one, but for the money it does what it says on the tin. I only use Argon/CO2 mix - never tried no gas welding
locost7-online.com

posted on 10/5/15 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you need gas, give BOC a ring, I just got a y size bottle, 25.70+vat, 38.00 a year rental, compare it to hobby gas its a much better deal, but you need to ask for the volks zone deal

Locost Xflow 150bhp injected! Sold :-(

Facebook blog https://www.facebook.com/Johns-Tiger-Avon-Build-814223212056368/
PLEASE NOTE THIS MEMBER IS NOT A TRADER.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.