Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pick Ups, L200 or D22 (Navara)
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 11/5/15 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Pick Ups, L200 or D22 (Navara)

My 330d tow car is now sold pending payment and I want to replace it with a pick-up, I've always loved them and an increase in car and property activity means I could actually use one properly as well. I'm in no rush as part of the deal for the 330d is a Skoda Octavia 4x4 Estate with Tow Bar so I can take my time to buy one while using the Skoda.

Anyway, with my limited budget I think I'm narrowed down to an Mitsubishi L200 or a Nissan D22 (Navara) both can be had in ~2000 Vintage for £1300-£1800 with MOT but well used.

Specs on the two are very similar so just wanted to know if anyone has used them and what to be looking out for mechanically and which maybe more likely to last. I've noticed that there seem to be more very rusty Nissans but more broken down Mitsubishi's

Also I'd like to run on at least part veg' oil (I used to do this with my old 406 and Disco', not bio-diesel but striaght veg oil from Costco (currently 64p/l), has anyone run either of these on veg?

Also if anybody has any other options I would be interested, I have eliminated Toyota Hiluxs as the prices are just mental, I dont particularly like the look of the Ford/Mazda Ranger/BT but would be interested to hear opinions on them if they are particularly good and while I could push to an Import Ford F150 I wouldnt be able to afford the LPG conversion as well.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Matt21

posted on 11/5/15 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
My dad has had 3 L200s over the last few days.

He's recently just bought a new one as the previous one had an issue (im not sure what it was though) but it was on over 200k miles!

He's ran them all on 100% veg oil (makro sell the big tubs of it) without it causing any problems, and I think he mixed 50/50 in the colder months.

Andy B

posted on 11/5/15 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I have run Navaras for 13 years - had four now and in general they are pretty good. However my first was a D22 and someone asked me if I had experienced the crank issue at around 90k - I replied I hadn't and mine had done 140k and left it at that - following day rod went straight through the block - further research highlighted a major bearing issue and subsequent modification for these engines so I would check that it has been done prior to buying an earlier one
Andy

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 11/5/15 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
He's ran them all on 100% veg oil (makro sell the big tubs of it) without it causing any problems, and I think he mixed 50/50 in the colder months.

Thats what I like to hear!

Looking at stuff like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221745612282?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271859622277?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Will keep my eye open for the crank fix if I spot any good D22, they seem to be sufferening a lot worse from rust than similar age L200's though.

Also if anyone has a D21 Nissan they want to sell let me know as thats what I really want but they are seriously rare.

[Edited on 11/5/15 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coozer

posted on 11/5/15 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I had an 02 reg Shogun, same as a L200. Ran it on biodiesel at £1/l

The road tax started to creep up and got a letter from dvla stating that it was likely to go up to the current £400/y for this type of vehicle.

That with the 22mpg scared me off and away it went!

Excellent in the snow with the super select 4x4 but too costly to run for me...

Now Im building a 4x4 with a V8! I'll never learn....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

fazerruss

posted on 11/5/15 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
My dad has had 3 L200s over the last few days.

He's recently just bought a new one as the previous one had an issue (im not sure what it was though) but it was on over 200k miles!

What year/ engine was your dad running? We have an L200 but it is not the old lump. Ours is an 2008 with the 2.5 DiD engine.

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

scott h

posted on 11/5/15 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
There are big problems with the old style Navara engines. I know a mechanic who has changed four as homers and he says the dealer in Dundee has changed 35! The new engines are ok but I'm not sure the date of the change.
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 11/5/15 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like L200 it is then. Shame as I would really have liked a Cab and a half and there are plenty of D22's in that style but no L200's.

What I really really want is an old D21 Nissan but they hardly ever come up for sale.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.