Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine running again but am I doing damage?
sprouts-car

posted on 18/5/15 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Engine running again but am I doing damage?

Afternoon all,

Following on these two threads with an update
Engine starts but won't run. Help! and WTD: 1.8 cvh ecu

I've got my engine running!

The cure (which I discovered in the process of swapping ecu's, thanks again jimmyd) was just to remove the vacuum tube from the inlet to the ecu.

Now as cures go, it was satisfyingly effective but I'm worried about what damage I might be doing.

I assume that the vacuum tube is used to tell the ecu what the engine load is. So the ecu then adjusts the timing accordingly.
So would breaking this feedback mean that I'll have a hotter exhaust when under load and might damage valves and things?

C

Build blog

Davedew

posted on 18/5/15 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
By disconnecting the vacuum connection the ECU won't be sensing engine load. So the timing wont advance and retard as needed, so you will be loosing power.

You probably wont do any damage as it will basically be running in limp home mode at a fixed 10 degrees I believe.

sprouts-car

posted on 18/5/15 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davedew
By disconnecting the vacuum connection the ECU won't be sensing engine load. So the timing wont advance and retard as needed, so you will be loosing power.

You probably wont do any damage as it will basically be running in limp home mode at a fixed 10 degrees I believe.

That's good to know.

What could the problem be though? As soon as I plug the vacuum tube back in it dies. Completely repeatable.

Build blog

MikeRJ

posted on 18/5/15 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Did you block the vacuum hose after you disconnected it from the ECU?

The ECU advances the ignition under high manifold vacuum (i.e. low engine load) which gives a significant improvement in fuel economy. Removing the vacuum hose means the ECU will be running the ignition timing permanently at the WOT value, which is perfect if your throttle is wide open, but clearly not optimal anywhere else. This could result in the engine running hotter at part throttle and will definitely make it thirstier, but is unlikely to damage it.

However this is a workaround, not a fix. Without knowing the actual cause of the problem there's no way of telling if it's going to let you down again in the future, so it's well worth persisting.

If you have the engine running, and apply a vacuum to the ECU port (e.g. attach a bit of pipe and use a syringe or even your mouth) does the engine cut out like before?

[Edited on 18/5/15 by MikeRJ]

rusty nuts

posted on 18/5/15 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
If the same thing happens with 2 ECUs then I think I would be looking at what could affect inlet melt manifold vacuum starting by checking the valve timing
Angel Acevedo

posted on 18/5/15 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
MAP sensor out of calibration?
Maybe sensor is feeding ECU wrong pressure...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sprouts-car

posted on 18/5/15 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Did you block the vacuum hose after you disconnected it from the ECU?

The ECU advances the ignition under high manifold vacuum (i.e. low engine load) which gives a significant improvement in fuel economy. Removing the vacuum hose means the ECU will be running the ignition timing permanently at the WOT value, which is perfect if your throttle is wide open, but clearly not optimal anywhere else. This could result in the engine running hotter at part throttle and will definitely make it thirstier, but is unlikely to damage it.

However this is a workaround, not a fix. Without knowing the actual cause of the problem there's no way of telling if it's going to let you down again in the future, so it's well worth persisting.

If you have the engine running, and apply a vacuum to the ECU port (e.g. attach a bit of pipe and use a syringe or even your mouth) does the engine cut out like before?

[Edited on 18/5/15 by MikeRJ]

I've blocked the tube after disconnecting it. No change, its definitely the ecu reacting to the low pressure.

So I guess next things to look at (based on what people have said here) is:
* check crank sensor and wheel for misalignment.
* check that the timing belt hasn't jumped a tooth.

Anything else?

Build blog

MikeRJ

posted on 18/5/15 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Stick a strobe on it and see what the actual timing is at idle, and how much it changes when vacuum is applied to the MAP sensor.
rusty nuts

posted on 19/5/15 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
The 1800 CVH engines suffered with the timing belt tensioners failing . I would check the valve timing before starting the engine , check the water pump as well

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.