Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Edelbrock carb tuning
timnuttuk

posted on 26/5/15 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Edelbrock carb tuning

Having roared around the south coast all weekend, I can tell the engine needs a tune. The IVA showed it running fairly weak mixture on tickover and at 2000rpm it isn't smooth at all. I knew I'd have to do something with mixture/jets/etc. as I took the Edelbrock carbs straight out the box and attached them to the 3.9 RV8.

So, my question is, anyone know of a good engine tuning place around Southampton/Hampshire that knows their stuff on Edelbrocks and V8s?

Thanks
Tim

Irony

posted on 26/5/15 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
There are some good videos on the edlebrock website. However I still couldn't do a good job. I eventually got my brother over and he tuned the idle screws etc. He has 30 years experience as a mechanic. No subistute for experience. I would be interested in what rods and jets are used if you get if professionally mapped. I have a identical setup.
timnuttuk

posted on 26/5/15 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
How does yours run?
I did think about playing with the jets, but I don't fancy buying lots of different ones to find out they're not right - plus I don't have the kit to measure the exhaust output / emissions, etc.
TimN

mk1storm

posted on 27/5/15 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
You need to get yourself over to http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum if you've not already done so....

I assume it's a edelbrock/weber 500?
If so, everyone will confirm that the carb is set way to rich for a RV8 with out the box settings. Same case for mine.
Can't remember what rods/jets I now have but definitely needed changing quite a bit and now runs much better (and uses less fuel too!).

Cheers,
Gary.

timnuttuk

posted on 27/5/15 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks - Getting some good advice from the v8 forum.
Tim

Brian R

posted on 27/5/15 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
We use Tom Airey for pretty much all of our rolling road tuning. He's close to Southampton. He is in his seventies now and is proper old school. There isn't much he doesn't know about carb engined cars.

Might be worth a call.

http://www.aireytuning.com/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.