Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Drill Bits
AntonUK

posted on 30/5/15 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Drill Bits

My apparent good quality bits (cant remember the name) are crap... can someone recommend me a good quality set ideally 3-12mm ish?

Build Photos Here

mark chandler

posted on 30/5/15 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
You need some cobalt drills, expect to pay £50 for a quality set........ Osborn are good.
loggyboy

posted on 30/5/15 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Found these ones to be good quality and value

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tool+Accessories/d80/Cobalt+Drill+Bits/sd1230/Cobalt+Drill+Bit/p99309

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 30/5/15 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I find just adding cutting oil makes a huge difference, even with cheapo nasty drill bits.
Brian R

posted on 30/5/15 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
I use a company called Reca for all of our consumables etc including drill bits. They are very good. I've not found a HSS drill bit yet to better them. Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

http://uk.reca.com/products/hss-drills.html

v8kid

posted on 31/5/15 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Lidl have done me proud. What are you cutting?
Apart from stainless the reason most drills burn out is excessive speed. The variable speed trigger on the drill is your best friend.
Stainless is slightly different. You need to take a heavy cut to avoid work hardening so squeeze the trigger fully and put your weight behind it. The loading on the drill will slow it down.
Lubricant is not required for a sharp drill only coolant for heavy cuts.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 31/5/15 at 05:23 AM Reply With Quote
Had VERY good results with Irwin stuff. Not sure on price, but certainly not cheap. I was "trialling" some for a friend who was one of their account managers. He reckoned on demos they were never outperformed by any customers existing supplier, and we are talking big contracts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Irwin-Pro-Drill-Set-HSCO-15-Piece-/400920187718?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d58b49346

Mikef

posted on 31/5/15 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
plus 1 on the Irwin drill bits , also use De Walt , no point scrimping on cheap no name drill bits. Try Trade tool Shop , huge range , good prices and good reviews.

http://www.tradetoolshop.com/drill-bits-holesaws/drill-bits-metal/hss-jobber-twist-drills-for-metal.html?p=6

MikeRJ

posted on 31/5/15 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
The Irwin bit set is available on Amazon for a much lower price.
serieslandy

posted on 31/5/15 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I like dormer personally. Expensive but worth the money. I've still managed to snap a couple though.
Presto are also very good.
Neither are cheap but mine have lasted about 3 years.

avagolen

posted on 31/5/15 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
The ebay ones are cobalt. Amazon are only Tin coated - that is why they are cheaper.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

MikeRJ

posted on 31/5/15 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need Cobalt drills for normal mild steel work, good quality HSS drills stay sharp for ages. For harder materials cobalt drill will stay sharp for longer, but they are also more brittle.
Jon Ison

posted on 31/5/15 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Also learn the art of sharpening drill bits, provided you don't break one they should last almost forever.
scott h

posted on 31/5/15 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I got some Bosch drill bits from B and Q as I had some stainless to drill. They were expensive but have stayed sharp. I always drill at as slow a speed with as much pressure as I can just using a hand held drill. I add a drop of oil for cooling aswell.
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 31/5/15 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Dormer bits - I've got 2 sets; one 0.5-6mm, and a 1-12mm set in 0.5mm increments (plus a 3.2mm and 4.8mm). Think the larger set was around £50 and the smaller one about 20, but never had a problem with them. I've also got a set of Bosch ones that often get used/abused lent out, as I'm less upset if/when they get broken.

I'd also recommend a drill bit sharpener, as no-one like a blunt end. It'll make them last that little bit longer in my experience.

Also re. the cobalt bits, they're very sharp and precise, but also incredibly brittle. Friend and I bought some uber expensive ones (about £20 each) when we had to drill some sheared studs off a motorbike exhaust engine, and encountered this issue. But I'm sure someone will come along and tell me I did something wrong which caused it to break....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

MikeRJ

posted on 1/6/15 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
Also re. the cobalt bits, they're very sharp and precise, but also incredibly brittle. Friend and I bought some uber expensive ones (about £20 each) when we had to drill some sheared studs off a motorbike exhaust engine, and encountered this issue. But I'm sure someone will come along and tell me I did something wrong which caused it to break....

I had to buy some cobalt bits (DeWalt brand) to drill out exhaust studs on my CBR900RR, and amazingly one of the studs was so hard that it ruined two of the bits (it was the last stud, having removed two others with no problem). Fortunately I didn't manage to snap them but I was being extremely cautious as I know how brittle they can be.

neilp1

posted on 3/6/15 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a cobalt set from uk drills which have been good. I also bought some hss double ended stub dill bits for rivet holes, decent quality and cheap.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.