Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 250-300bhp reliable engine choices
Calzonii

posted on 3/6/15 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
250-300bhp reliable engine choices

Ive been sitting here all night trawling thru posts trying to decide what engine will to produce this power. Getting tired and have made little headway..

Can anyone tell me the best way of making around 250-300bhp in an MK indy r RELIABLY? My initial thought was a supercharge a duratec or zetec or something but im not sure anymore. What about cosworth engine?

I would also like a setup thats installed commonly so if I have any problems mid build I can turn to locostbuilders for advice from all you guys so try to keep it simple.

What setup is best to achieve this easiest? My budget is around £12-15k but the lower the better obviously.

Thanks

jeffw

posted on 3/6/15 at 05:16 AM Reply With Quote
12-15K for the engine alone?

livelee

posted on 3/6/15 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
Dunnell Engines? http://www.dunnellengines.com/home.php

I've got an option 6 kit zetec in my car, it's only recently completed but so far so good. The top zetec (option 7) kit should get you, just, into the 250+ range. The duratec option will push on towards 300.

Give Paul a call, he'll advise options and prices.

[Edited on 3/6/15 by livelee]

Ivan

posted on 3/6/15 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
I would be looking at the SAAB, Nissan, Opel/Vauxhall, VW/Audi and Volvo range of turbo charged 4 cylinder motors. Any of those should comfortably and very reliably do what you want with minimal mods.

[Edited on 3/6/15 by Ivan]

loggyboy

posted on 3/6/15 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Whats the planned use of car?

Mistral Motorsport

russbost

posted on 3/6/15 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Cheapest way has to be the Saab 93, you can buy a complete car for a lot less than a grand & it needs (I believe) just bigger injectors & some turbo mods, 300BHP with no internal engine mods has to be the way to go. You then just need to pickup a suitable gearbox & prop, I believe the Omega 3.0 MV6 will fit.
Alternatively bolt a Rotrex supercharger to a 'Busa or ZZR1400 & you'll get around 250 - 300bhp reliably providing the engine is properly installed & won't suffer oil surge

Adding a turbo to a Zetec or Duratec is going to require a lot of (very expensive) internal mods if you want it to be reliable

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coozer

posted on 3/6/15 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
I'm aiming for 350 on a 2.0 zetec.

Intended mods are 8.0 comp ratio forged pistons and h beam rods, obviously a turbo as well.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 3/6/15 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
For reliability a Honda S2000 with some very light tuning would/could be your best choice, the closer the engine is to OEM standard the more reliable it will be and the S2000 is 230bhp (I think) already.

isn't there an entire S2000,in the for sale section for £4.5k? You could probably break the car and sell what's left after taking the engine to get a good chunk of that back.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jeffw

posted on 3/6/15 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.tts-performance.co.uk/#!honda-s2000/cn7h

tegwin

posted on 3/6/15 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
VW audi group 1.8T engine (BAM engine code)... As fitted to the TT, Seat leon cupra R (2003 ish era)...

225hp as standard... remappable to 290 or so... can achieve 350 with a hybred turbo and new injectors...

Pretty heavy and tall engines but very well put together.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

kingster996

posted on 3/6/15 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
S2000 on throttle bodies = 261bhp linky

But that lump is a big un and I doubt it will fit in an MK - so if you have a total budget of £12k -£15k then a Westy is probably of range (might just do it for £15k if you are very lucky).

DaveB666 has a Nissan turbo in his Locost - see this thread so that means it should also fit an MK.

[Edited on 3/6/15 by kingster996]

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

wylliezx9r

posted on 3/6/15 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
S2000 (F20C) is nearly there and as a bonus you get one of the sweetest shifting 6 speed boxes there is, you wont get that with a ford type 9 etc.
To get a Ford Duartec/Zetec etc to this power normally aspirated you are talking silly money and unknown reliability and you'll still have a 25 year old gear box.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

wylliezx9r

posted on 3/6/15 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingster996
S2000 on throttle bodies = 261bhp linky

But that lump is a big un and I doubt it fit in an MK - so if you have a total budget of £12k -£15K then a Westy is probably of range (might just do it for £15 if you are very astute).

DaveB666 has a Nissan turbo in his Locost - see this thread so that means it should also fit an MK.

[Edited on 3/6/15 by kingster996]

S2000 engine fits in an INDY its already been done.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

kingster996

posted on 3/6/15 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9rS2000 engine fits in an INDY its already been done.

Ooh - interesting - and I stand corrected!

Calzonii

posted on 3/6/15 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
I think the S2000 is becoming more appealing! Ill check out the forsale list and see if I could get a good donor. Ill also have a word with the boys at MK and see what they reccommend.

That is insane power kingster!! Looks very nice

wyllie does addijg throttle bodies make it too large for fit in an MK?

bigfoot4616

posted on 3/6/15 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
S2000 (F20C) is nearly there and as a bonus you get one of the sweetest shifting 6 speed boxes there is, you wont get that with a ford type 9 etc.
To get a Ford Duartec/Zetec etc to this power normally aspirated you are talking silly money and unknown reliability and you'll still have a 25 year old gear box.

yes it will cost a lot to get 250+ from a duratec but i don't agree with unknown reliability, plenty of cars are running them with no problems. also if your spending that much money on the engine you may as well spend a bit more on a decent box. caterham 6 speed is meant to be good or even better go sequential.

personally i much prefer NA in a lightweight car(infact for me any car) but if going FI i would prefer a supercharger.

kingster996

posted on 3/6/15 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calzonii
I think the S2000 is becoming more appealing! Ill check out the forsale list and see if I could get a good donor. Ill also have a word with the boys at MK and see what they reccommend.

That is insane power kingster!! Looks very nice

Yes, there's a few really nice S2000's that have been IVA'd this year on the WSCC forum - mine's a measly 168bhp Zetec, but will do me for now

wylliezx9r

posted on 3/6/15 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616
quote:

yes it will cost a lot to get 250+ from a duratec but i don't agree with unknown reliability, plenty of cars are running them with no problems. also if your spending that much money on the engine you may as well spend a bit more on a decent box. caterham 6 speed is meant to be good or even better go sequential.

personally i much prefer NA in a lightweight car(infact for me any car) but if going FI i would prefer a supercharger.

What I mean is; I have seen plenty of F20C engines with 100k plus on them with no problems. If going down the tuned Duratec/Zetec route it's unknown (to me at least) how long they are expected to last in that state of tune, I'm not saying they won't.

I think the budget stated is for the whole car not just the engine.

[Edited on 3/6/15 by wylliezx9r]

George Best

posted on 3/6/15 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
How about a nice Lycoming?

Light, powerful, and reliable down to the last nut & bolt.

I bet that would fly.

Paul Turner

posted on 3/6/15 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616

I too prefer N/A in a lightweight car but I now prefer a turbo in my road car, either petrol or diesel, currently have both on the drive.

I have owned a supercharged car and at the time I thought it was pretty good compared to turbo's of old. But compared to a modern turbo it was totally pants, would not want another.

Drove a supercharged Seven back in the early 90's. It certainly had adequate of power from its otherwise standard XR3i engine but it did not appear to be very exciting in the way that my slightly less powerful N/A x-flow was.

The worst turbo car I have ever driven was a 1982 turbo technics XR3i. It was sold officially by Ford at the time by a small number of dealers before the release of the RS turbo. Power from the engine was pretty sensational but turbo lag was horrendous as was torque steer. The steering issue was simply because the chassis was standard as were the brakes and tyres, totally inadequate for the performance. Should never have been sold.

It put me off turbo's until 1996 when I bought a Golf Tdi.

jeffw

posted on 3/6/15 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUxdiTjDXU0

Stock S2000 with Rotrex kit....460BHP

jeffw

posted on 3/6/15 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
How about a nice Lycoming?

Light, powerful, and reliable down to the last nut & bolt.

I bet that would fly.

lol

bigfoot4616

posted on 3/6/15 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think the budget stated is for the whole car not just the engine.

[Edited on 3/6/15 by wylliezx9r]

takes a tuned duratec and decent gearbox out of the equation then if that's the case

Calzonii

posted on 3/6/15 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah budget for whole kit.. 12-15 on engine would be nice.. But id be living rough then!

Jeffw- nice youtube link!

Calzonii

posted on 3/6/15 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
I think im going to go S2000 if it has forged internals and can take the power upgrade at some stage in the future then that is perfect for me. Plus if I change the throttle bodies on it and get about 250 thats sweet as a nut... For now..
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.