Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting a Donor Home
micksalt

posted on 8/6/15 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Getting a Donor Home

Is a car transporter now the most economical option with the changes to RFL? Originally, I was going to find a car I liked with RFL and MOT and buy day insurance to drive it home. However, with the changes to the RFL system, I would have to tax the vehicle, but then you need valid insurance to tax it, and thus day insurance is not adequate. I WANT to give money to the DVLA, effectively giving them a month's fee for the sake of a day, but they won't let me because of these daft changes. Any other ideas?

One thing I have considered, if the car is sufficiently local, is to ask the seller to drive to my house (under their tax and insurance) and then complete the sale once the car is in my garage and thus off the public highway. Then I could give them a lift home and immediately SORN the car.

Cheers,

Mick

joneh

posted on 8/6/15 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by micksalt
Is a car transporter now the most economical option with the changes to RFL? Originally, I was going to find a car I liked with RFL and MOT and buy day insurance to drive it home. However, with the changes to the RFL system, I would have to tax the vehicle, but then you need valid insurance to tax it, and thus day insurance is not adequate. I WANT to give money to the DVLA, effectively giving them a month's fee for the sake of a day, but they won't let me because of these daft changes. Any other ideas?

One thing I have considered, if the car is sufficiently local, is to ask the seller to drive to my house (under their tax and insurance) and then complete the sale once the car is in my garage and thus off the public highway. Then I could give them a lift home and immediately SORN the car.

Cheers,

Mick

Not quite legal, book it in for an MOT at your local garage. Drive under day insurance...

micksalt

posted on 8/6/15 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh

Not quite legal, book it in for an MOT at your local garage. Drive under day insurance...

Daft isn't it? I want to be legal, I actually want to give money to the DVLA, but their ridiculous processes make it nigh on impossible to drive a car for just a day.

Slimy38

posted on 8/6/15 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I was 'sympathetic' to the person who bought my last car, and declared everything by post. It didn't cost me anything in lost tax, and it meant he could just use normal insurance to drive it home (as the car was still 'mine' at the time he just needed the owners permission to drive it with normal third party cover).

Not strictly legit, but the car was MOT'ed, taxed and insured so I didn't see an issue with it.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 8/6/15 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Its totally ridiculous but its not exactly a tightly controlled system.

If the car currently has tax (from the current owner) then just insure it and drive it home. The DVLA dont 'untax' it from the previous owner until they receive the V5 in the post and do the paperwork (a couple of weeks later). You cant even SORN it until they receive the V5 and re-register it anyway (I tried to SORN a car at the weekend over a week after sending off the V5 and it still wouldnt let me). So really you are just driving the owners fully taxed car under your own isurance until the DVLA recieve the V5 and its re-registered to you.

So if you drive past an ANPR it will still show up as taxed and if for some reason you got pulled by the police you just explain that you have just bought it and didnt have internet access or phone reception so will do it when you get home.

Honestly I bought two cars last week and drove them both home and did the tax thing when I got back (both were insured)

[Edited on 8/6/15 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Madinventions

posted on 8/6/15 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Apply for the tax online, opt to pay monthly by direct debit. This will come out on or around the 16th of the month. As long as you buy the car, apply for tax, do the V5 thing and SORN it in the first two weeks of the month, the direct debit will be cancelled before it is even taken and you may not have to pay any tax! Bit of a loophole, but it let me drive my donor around legally for a week to check engine and gearbox condition before stripping it.

I wasn't expecting this or even trying to fool the system (one months tax was only £15 after all) but this is the way it panned out and I wasn't going to complain!

[Edited on 8/6/15 by Madinventions]

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

micksalt

posted on 17/6/15 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Solved the problem by finding a seller willing to deliver the car. Build log begins here.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.