Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Intermittent Neutral Light
Hellfire

posted on 15/6/15 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Intermittent Neutral Light

Started to experience an issue with the neutral light on the Indy

Sometimes the neutral light on the dash doesn't light up, even though the engine is in neutral. This prevents the signal going to the ECU and the engine won't start on the button. It's currently wired up so it will only start in neutral. We've checked all the connections from the gear pick-up sensor through to the clocks and everything appears to be fine. Earth connection is clean and working. The gear pick-up sensor seems to be working ok because the GIPro gear indicator doesn't miss a beat (which is why we now the engine is in neutral and the light should be on).

Anybody got any ideas?

Phil

adithorp

posted on 15/6/15 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Don't have an answer (my R1 does similar sometimes) but I'd rewire it so it'll start in gear anyway. It's one of the best mods I've done with mine. Makes life a lot easier if you stall it.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

austin man

posted on 15/6/15 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Phil I spoke to your dad about it suggested wiring it to allow a start in any gear see if that sorts it if it does and neutral remains a problem then there has to be a problem with either the neutral sensor or the selector is not quite hitting neutral possible a small amount of adjustment on the paddle shifts. Your da mentioned it happened once the engine was warm and not a problem when cold so could possible be a dry joint somewhere

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Moorron

posted on 16/6/15 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Do you get an ECU error code? my zx12 neutral light went off during an mot while the engine was running and instantly flagged my error LED I fitted to the bike loom.

It then became intermittent for a few week and did my head in not being able to crank the starter so I ended up ordering a new gear position sensor which solved the problem. Just be careful if you change it, the bolts are made of cheese.

Looking at the removed sensor it must be an internal break because the contacts worked great.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

Hellfire

posted on 18/6/15 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
There's no error code to suggest that the sensor might be faulty. Guess we'll have to try wiring it so that it can be started in any gear. If neutral light still becomes an issue, we'll replace the gear position sensor. Cheers

Phil

Moorron

posted on 18/6/15 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Phil,

Just be careful what you do with the wiring, when I fitted my engine and worked out the loom it was suggested on the later bike Kwak put something into the ECU to limit power/rev limit the engine differently if the clutch or neutral was engaged. It was to stop people deliberately blowing their engines up to claim off the warranty. They would just rev it on the stand until it went bang and hey presto a new engine on a 30K bike for free.

Im not sure if its true or not but I didn't risk earthing my clutch switch permanently so have it on a second toggle switch for starting, same for the neutral but a pain when it fails and you need a push to get it going

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.