Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Slicks & Rims for Westfield on track?
baslow

posted on 22/6/15 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Which Slicks & Rims for Westfield on track?

Hi,

I want to get some slicks for a track day in July. I've got a Westfield Megablade with 13" minilites 205/60. Don't want to spend loads on these as they will only be used a few times in the year so thinking looking for second hand. Can't find any sets on eBay / Gumtree.

Can someone advise me on which rims / slicks i should go for?

Does anyone have a set for sale?

If i can't get a set I was thinking of buying the rims used and then getting new slicks. if i do this where should i get the slicks from?

Newbie so all help welcome. Cheers!

craig5

posted on 22/6/15 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
ive got minilights too if you want slicks dont most tracks offer service on the day? if car being used on road think the new avon zzs look good
baslow

posted on 22/6/15 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Its being used on the road too and i've got a set of yoko's advan048. I've just bought a used set of wets on rims and want a set of slicks. track services are pretty expensive i think - I'm sure its a tenner per tyre to change at Oulten... It would be worth buying a full set long term.
JimSpencer

posted on 22/6/15 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Have you run the car on a track yet?

If so how did you find it - why do you think it needs slicks?

Don't get me wrong the grip's great and IF you get the tyre selection right Epic.

BUT

It'll put a lot of load into areas of the car that might not be designed for it - oil systems in particular, suspension joints as a secondary concern.

If you're not dry sumped, then the AO48's with some wets if it get's soggy sound plenty grippy enough to me, certainly plenty if the car's in road going spec otherwise.

HTH

bigfoot4616

posted on 22/6/15 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
i run michelin 20/54/13 slicks on 8" compomotive cxr's on the rear and was running 16/53's on the front. the 16/53's are not available now so i've just bought some more 8" cxr's second hand to run the 20/54's on the front. 7" rims would also do for that tyre size as well, one of my mates is running them on 7" rims.

the main reason for me running slicks is the cost, 4 second hand slicks for the price of 1 A048 with at least as much grip even though they're not new.
a blade motor will cope with running slicks no problem as long as it has a baffle plate and slight overfill, mine did.

i wouldn't think its worth buying new slicks for trackdays, by the time you've done 1 trackday they'll possibly be no better than the used ones you can buy at a much lower price.

laptoprob

posted on 22/6/15 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616
i run michelin 20/54/13 slicks on 8" compomotive cxr's on the rear

Are you running medium or soft Bigfoot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajlF4nWJtGA

Jon Ison

posted on 22/6/15 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
My 2p,

I ran slicks for a while, ripped the back axle out twice and snapped a prop shaft, went back to road legal stuff, if it's track day fun your after then for me slicks are a waste of time and put far to much stress through the car, it's not a timed event against the clock or a race slide it about a bit on well used 888's or the like.

bigfoot4616

posted on 22/6/15 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by laptoprob

Are you running medium or soft Bigfoot?

not really sure how the compounds compare, run a few different ones over the years. the ones i've just ordered are S412 which is a medium compound but a few mates already using them say they are softer than the ones we've used in the past.

jon, me a the lads i do trackdays with have been using them for years and i can't recall any issues you could put down to the slicks. like i said above i don't think used slicks have a massive amount of extra grip over a set of new 048's or 888's(may change that opinion once iv'e tried this new compound) its just they are a lot cheaper.

bi22le

posted on 22/6/15 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have considered, and still am, going to slicks. Cost being the only reason as I feel power lets me down at the moment.

My problem with running slicks is having to pay a tyre shop to fit them each time. Some places are asking for 20quid + VAT per corner!!! Even if you find a cheap place its 10 + VAT. I know that is still cheaper than ~380 for new R888 but they last longer, work in changing conditions and are probably more fun.

Even going to 13" dont save that much on tyre costs, but light ones may improve handling over 14".

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 22/6/15 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I run S310 Michelin's for track days. 160/530 fronts and 200/540 rears on 6 and 7 inch rims.

They are cheap and last far better than road tyres. At first the grip is mindboggling but there is a downside; you have to be committed with naff all grip for the first lap or two to build enough heat to get them working, which is fine if you have balls, skill or experience but people have driven my car who just can't go fast enough while they are cold to get them hot so they can never go fast.

There are two ways to save on fitting costs, either go to a grubby back street used tyre place at lunchtime and offer cash (£5 a pair is the best I have got) or weld and old hub on a post to something heavy, buy some tyre levers and fit them yourself (slicks are a lot floppier and easier to fit than road tyres).

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
bi22le

posted on 22/6/15 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
What about balancing?

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
I run S310 Michelin's for track days. 160/530 fronts and 200/540 rears on 6 and 7 inch rims.

They are cheap and last far better than road tyres. At first the grip is mindboggling but there is a downside; you have to be committed with naff all grip for the first lap or two to build enough heat to get them working, which is fine if you have balls, skill or experience but people have driven my car who just can't go fast enough while they are cold to get them hot so they can never go fast.

There are two ways to save on fitting costs, either go to a grubby back street used tyre place at lunchtime and offer cash (£5 a pair is the best I have got) or weld and old hub on a post to something heavy, buy some tyre levers and fit them yourself (slicks are a lot floppier and easier to fit than road tyres).

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 23/6/15 at 05:44 AM Reply With Quote
When I've had them balanced in the past they have hardly needed any weight (I assume the lack of a tread pattern helps as well as quality rims) and when I stopped bothering there was no difference. Also there is no point balancing a used slick (unless you fastidiously scrape them) because they are covered in pickup which will change the balance.
Remember on a track day you never sit at one speed, you are always either accelerating or braking so if there are any speeds where you might have a wobble you are only at that speed for a fraction of a second. In two years I have not balanced a slick for track use and have never had a wheel wobble.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
baslow

posted on 23/6/15 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the great feedback guys...

Jim - I haven't taken it on a track yet and what you say makes perfect sence. I hadn't even thought about the additional stress that slicks could put on the car. I've come from karting stight into Westfields so i thought slicks would be a must for the track. The other reason for getting slicks was that i didn't want to hammer the 048s on the track and keep them in good condition for road use. So really i could get a spare set of rims and 048s and use existing on for the track. Don't get me wrong my 048s have loads on them - it might be worth me just doing the day with what i have and take it from there. cheers

Bigfoot - i was thinking that. there are some cheap full sets on ebay and for me they would be fine. The problem then comes with matching them up for the right rims and there doesn't seem to be that many for the 13" rims so prob best getting 15". I don't have a baffle plate so would you say this is a must for the track? Would i be best putting something like the accusump in? cheers

Jon - see what your saying. i'm just going for a fun days out so if i can make it through the day without major problems then i'll be happy! Do you use yours on the road and if so the same tyres as the track or do you have a spare set of 888's? cheers

Derek - Good point too! Do many of you use tyre warmers or is this uneccessary?

Great points but now i'm more unsure than i was before! I'm thinking keep the 048s on and have wets just incase. If 048s get hammered then keep these for track days and get a new set of everydays. Concerned about the baffle plate though and if this is going to cause me problems - any advice on this and my thoughts?

Thanks again.

Jon Ison

posted on 23/6/15 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
I'm lucky I guess, I have 3 sets of wheels with tyres in different stages of wear, a set of new 888's that I use on the road or very wet track days and two sets of second hand 048's ranging from just about road legal to defiantly not.

Slicks are great and good fun, my car handles pretty well but with the extra grip they give particularly cornering and under acceleration they simply put to much stress into the car, it doesn't help that when I do a track day I tend to get my monies worth track time wise, I will on a typical track day rack up the equivalent mileage of 2 seasons racing and when you take into account a car would get a good service/check between each race track days can be very hard on cars.

craig5

posted on 23/6/15 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
what are generally regarding as best wheels? i have 13" minilights at moment
phelpsa

posted on 23/6/15 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig5
what are generally regarding as best wheels? i have 13" minilights at moment

Do you mean best, or best value? Can't beat CXRs on value for money, but a set of Force Racing split rims are extremely light (as will your wallet be afterwards).

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig5

posted on 23/6/15 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
shedding weight as I think the minilights are little heavy at over 6 kgs
Jon Ison

posted on 23/6/15 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have a set of CRX's and a couple of sets of lasers, I think before I spend mega bucks on wheels a diet would be in order
phelpsa

posted on 23/6/15 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig5
shedding weight as I think the minilights are little heavy at over 6 kgs

13x9 force split rim with 8.2/20 13 Avon slick is 8kg, but also £2k a set.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig5

posted on 23/6/15 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'm gona try the new Avon zzs as car is road going too but would just like a better wheel than the minilight prefer a black too
baslow

posted on 23/6/15 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'm concerned at the additional stress that slicks are going to place on the car. Also the baffle - Is this a necessity for track usage? Do you have one fitted?
craig5

posted on 23/6/15 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a sump baffle plate fitted
mark chandler

posted on 23/6/15 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
I would also fit an accusump, my blade engine throw a rod on yoko 048's with a baffle and overfill.

Slicks for me, although old and hard once warm they grip well and last and last and last, my 048's pre turbo medium compound were shot after only two track days.

Regards Mark

baslow

posted on 23/6/15 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
How did you find the strain on the rest of the car Mark with running slicks? Problematic or no issues?
Jon Ison

posted on 23/6/15 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
perfect for track days, be quick, this is how I put rubber on mine, if I wasn't flitting and surrounded by tryes allready they would be gone.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.