Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Live axle LSD
pmc_3

posted on 23/6/15 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Live axle LSD

I've had my car on the road for a month or so now and it goes very well but i'm a bit worried about the diff. The car has an LSD fitted and i've not had one before. The diff doesn't make any noise when cold but once its done a few miles i've notice pulling out of junctions, going round roundabouts and doing manoeuvres it clunks quite loudly and feels notchy on the inside wheel, it's very disconcerting! I think the car has been used for hillclimbing in the past do you think its a case that the diff has been setup a bit too aggressively for road use or something else?
beaver34

posted on 23/6/15 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
sounds like a plate diff, i have one in my car those noises are perfectly normal, i was also worried from the off

odd i know but it makes the car grip like hell

dhutch

posted on 23/6/15 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Seems like a plate, never had one, but what you see sounds normalish.

They do wear and need servicing from time to time, and the right oil, but I understand wear will reduce the effect rather then increase it.

Daniel

Oddified

posted on 23/6/15 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
The right oil in a plate type lsd makes a huge difference to their noise/operation/life span.

Ian

pmc_3

posted on 23/6/15 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
I changed the oil in it last week to see if it helped, it currently has Motul 90 PA Lubricant limited slip differential (LSD) Extreme pressure that we recommended on here.

It's the notchy feeling that was worrying me more than the sound, I was concerned if I drove it hard something may break.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.