Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A day at Bailey Performance
Toltec

posted on 27/6/15 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
A day at Bailey Performance

Decided to pay a visit to Dale at his workshop outside Telford to get the car mapped etc. As it turned out it was more etc than mapping...

On the way there the evening before the clutch slave cylinder started to leak, would have been fine if it hadn't been stop start traffic from junction six all the way round to the M40, I reckon the heat did not help. Topping up the reservoir got it working again, but only for a dozen changes or so, after filling up three times I decided to pull off and wait for the traffic to die down.

An hour later I tried again got to the M40, filled up with petrol and clutch fluid then drove all the way to the M54 Telford junction without changing gear, two more gear changes to get the 8 miles to Broseley and two more to get parked at the Lion pub/b&b. The landlady was a star, I rocked up at 10pm and she offered to open up the kitchen and make me a hot dinner - no need to punch anyone then.

I'd already let Dale know I had a problem and arranged to get recovered to his workshop if the cylinder died on the way, so in the morning first thing was to order up a new cylinder then get on with the real work.

Dale does not just throw a car on the rollers and start mapping, he likes to make sure everything looks right before starting that or there is little point going further. So the first thing is that the ignition map looks wrong, not enough advance and yes the crank sensor position is 10 degrees out, having a decent strobe that will trigger off the low voltage side of a coil pack helps. We get the Megasquirt code updated as well, I knew it would need doing but thought it best to wait until I was there rather than do it at home then find the car would not run. Dale put a fuel pressure gauge in the fuel line earlier and we run the car up and check that the pressure is rising with boost, all looking good. We get going then start to have some fun with voltages, the MS is seeing less than the injectors and it gets worse as if we turn on the heater etc. Cue some rewiring so that the ecu is on the same supply as the coils and injectors, not as simple as you would think because that supply is relay switched by the ecu. So an extra relay and some crimping later and the old ecu supply now switches the ecu, coils and injectors on together on the same power feed.

So off we go and with occasional refills of the clutch reservoir we start to get a good map sorted for base boost. Then we check the boost control valve works and start to turn things up at which point the car starts to misfire on full load. Dale is dubious about the CBR1000RR coil packs I am using, in fact he does not like coil on plug at all really, we turn up the dwell on the coils and it helps a bit, but not much, a bit more dwell and all that happens is the ecu voltage starts to drop again, voltage measured across the battery does not. Basically the supply from the front of the car is not up to the job, the coils are also probably saturating making it worse.

Out come the crimpers and another relay, this time we take a feed off the starter solenoid switched from the ignition and the ecu, coils and injectors get another new power feed. My new slave cylinder turns up around now. Off we go again, it is better, but at 14psi it is misfiring again and adding any more dwell does not make any difference as the coils are clearly saturating. I should point out that we had a discussion about this and as I had a spare set of cops with me I was happy to try pushing the dwell and accepted we could burn one or more of them out.

Now this is where Dale goes the extra mile, he digs out a Ford edis coil pack and some leads then lashes together some wiring to fire it from my coil amplifier, we change the plugs, mine have the bike screw thread terminals, change the ecu settings and try again. Once sentence, does not do this justice, lets just say it was not a five minute job and Dale was totally up for trying this.

The car is not misfiring anymore and Dale starts mapping at higher boost levels, we are discussing the best course of action on how to sort out my ignition so i'll be able to use this part of the map. As higher levels of boost are reached something is not quite right he is having to increase the fuel bins too much and the injector cycle is increasing rapidly, I keep an eye on the fuel pressure gauge as he does a run, we need to be hitting over 60 psi on the fuel rail at this point, as the boost and revs rise I see the pressure pass 56 then suddenly drop below 40, I shout out and he stops the run. We have reached the limit of what we can do for now, I always knew the pump could be an issue as it was just what was on the car when I bought it.

The end of the day? No, not really.

We swap back to my ignition coils and find a safe boost level they can cope with then Dale sorts out the closed loop settings, should help with fuel economy a bit, not that it was bad, but every little helps.

Oh, I swap the new slave cylinder onto the car.

Power? Something around 250 with the Ford coil packs before the fuel pump gave up, probably a bit over 200 with mine, more importantly Dale felt the engine had a lot more to give, at the point we had to stop every boost increase was just giving more power and even with my rather useless intercooler the inlet temps were still fine so the turbo is not struggling.

Overall I would describe the day not as a mapping session, rather a development session with someone who really knows his stuff. I might not have gained a huge amount of power, but the car is running better and I know where to go next, importantly I know where to spend the time and money to do this.

[Edited on 27/6/15 by Toltec]

jeffw

posted on 27/6/15 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant write up. Dale is a bit of a star...

coozer

posted on 27/6/15 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Sound brilliant, nice write up.

What engine spec is it?

Steve.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Toltec

posted on 27/6/15 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Sound brilliant, nice write up.

What engine spec is it?

Steve.

Rover T16 turbo from a 220

Forged pistons and rods
GT2860RS
Lightweight billet flywheel and four paddle clutch
Megasquirt MS3 + MSX

It should be good for about 300BHP once I get everything sorted. I was not really looking to get the maximum out of it this time just get a good initial map and make sure the basis was right. I feel happy about pushing the car a bit now and doing a track day, that there will be more to come means I won't get bored anytime soon.

I'll admit this is not exactly 'locost', but part of what I enjoy is the technical aspects of getting this right, it is not really about chasing horsepower with my wallet. Even if you are not wanting to go further, spending some time with Dale is going to be good value, think of it like getting the geo done etc. If you put a lot of work into a car it is worth making it work as well as it can.

[Edited on 27/6/15 by Toltec]

BaileyPerformance

posted on 28/6/15 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for a great post!
Interesting days work, i enjoy getting to the bottom of any problems that may arise on the dyno, just mapping gets boring!

Engine shows promise - Looking forward to seeing some big BHP when the ignition and fuel system is sorted, I was impressed with how little lag the turbo had, nice and smooth power.

Bosch 044 pump and MSD ignition 300bhp should be possible, should be quick enough in a light car.

www.facebook.com/baileyperformance

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.