Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving LHD car in the UK. Headlights?
sebastiaan

posted on 9/7/15 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Driving LHD car in the UK. Headlights?

Hi,

I'm cofused! (which happens quite a lot....)

Tomorrow, I'll be driving in the UK to pick up some parts in a newish (2011) Renault. Do I need some kind of "beam deflectors" or stickers on my headlights or is that a thing of the past? The car's got OEM HID's.

Thanks!
Sebastiaan

jossey

posted on 9/7/15 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Yes just beam deflectors and make sure your car reg has the country code or a sticker at the rear.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Quinten

posted on 9/7/15 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Check your owners manual, as you may have a switch on the units to adjust the beam. If not, it will say that you need beam deflectors. If you're not driving at night/evening, you can get away with not bothering, but for the sake of a few euros...
Grimsdale

posted on 9/7/15 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Really? i thought lhd cars dipped up/down rather then left, although i don't know how it changes with HIDs etc.
sebastiaan

posted on 9/7/15 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks. I think the beams acutally kick up to the right, so I guess I need to do something...
r1_pete

posted on 9/7/15 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure the normal beam deflectors don't work with HID or Projectors, but check with the supplier.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
luke2152

posted on 9/7/15 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Beam deflectors work on anything. They are just glorified stickers that block off the high/right part of the beam.
Quite a few newish cars have an option to make the beam flat electronically for traveling to where you drive on the other side of the channel. Older ones often have a manual lever inside the headlight to do the same purpose as the beam deflector.
Police are unlikely to know/care about your lights if you choose to do nothing but its not very nice for others if you do end up out at night.

sebastiaan

posted on 13/7/15 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Sorted and back home. Thanks guys!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.