Author: Subject: tomtom
02GF74

posted on 18/7/15 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
tomtom

The tomtom radio ad.

2 men in a car, lets refer to them as A and B
A: Hows your girlfriend?
B: Shes not my girlfriend anymore.
A: You dodged a bullet. She was a nightmare etc..
B: No, shes now my wife.
A: Ah.

Tom tom, theres a journey that is 5 minutes faster.

Now the bit i dont understand, maybe because i dont own a sat nav, if tom tom is that good, why didnt tom tom come up with the faster route in the first place?

blakep82

posted on 18/7/15 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
i guess you're supposed to laugh at the amusing situation, not think too much about it...

however, i've got garmin ones, i guess tom tom works the same, you can set most economical routes, fastest time route, or shortest distance
or maybe he likes to always take the scenic route, but now he wants to find a quicker way to reduce awkwardness, so and sticks his sat nav on, and, low and behold, tom tom knows a quicker way
I always take the M6 to london area, but allegedly the A1 is quicker, or shorter distance, i don't know, i don't like the A1

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Simon

posted on 18/7/15 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have tomtom fitted in my espace and it is so utterly stupid it defies belief. If I'd paid for that as an extra I'd have been asking for a refund.

I also have a stick on Garmin and it's always been great.

That's my tuppence worth anyway.

ATB

Simon

GeoffT

posted on 18/7/15 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I find Tomtom works reasonably well, but you need to beware the 'shortest route' option.

Unfortunately it seems to take this completely literally and does daft things like diverting off the motorway and then going straight back on again because the slip roads were presumably a yard or two shorter. For the same reason will often divert off the obvious route and through housing estates, down farm tracks, etc.

I've now got a later version on my phone which I notice includes an 'economical route' option, haven't tried this as yet but hopefully it will be a bit less stupid....

David Jenkins

posted on 18/7/15 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
That happened to me the first time I got my TomTom - selected 'shortest route' and drove down the A12. At Whitham it directed me off the dual-carriageway into the town, where I spent 20 minutes getting through the traffic. Shortly after it put me back on the A12, about 2 miles down the road.

Strictly speaking, it was doing exactly what I'd told it to do, but it wasn't a very sensible result. I've never used that setting since!

joneh

posted on 18/7/15 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
My TomTom hates me. Taking it in Cornwall or Devon is a nightmare. The quickest or shortest route option often sticks us down a single track farm road.

Once I turned into a track thinking "this doesn't feel right" but I was committed. The road got narrower and narrower until both wing mirrors went in the hedgerow. Was a right ball ache to reverse out from.

Simon

posted on 18/7/15 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Coming back from Liverpool to Kent we usually get to bottom of M6 then take A14 to top of M11 - all the way along A14 tomshit was telling us to go back to M1.

Idiot

ATB

Simon

Ninehigh

posted on 19/7/15 at 01:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Coming back from Liverpool to Kent we usually get to bottom of M6 then take A14 to top of M11 - all the way along A14 tomshit was telling us to go back to M1.

Idiot

ATB

Simon

Just out of interest have you seen where it was telling you to go? The shortest route isn't always what you'd think (note above comments on single track roads and such)

David Jenkins

posted on 19/7/15 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
I regularly have a conversation with my TomTom, especially on long journeys. Usually along the lines of "Nope", "Don't be silly" and "That's entirely in the wrong direction, forget it".

I bought a Navman satnav for use when I'm in Australia (buying new was cheaper than buying a map update for my existing satnav!) and that seems far more sensible. If I don't like the direction it suggests it will recalculate in a second or two and just get on with it. Quite amusing getting instructions in a strine accent!

Simon

posted on 19/7/15 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
That's the other thing, initial route planning takes a couple of mins Garmin is instant; tomshit can't keep up with alternative routes. Utter utter shite.

When we get to top of M11, there is no way it will be quicker for us to go all the way back to M1 then M25.

ATB

Simon

Slimy38

posted on 19/7/15 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
I prefer google maps, its saved me from quite a few traffic jams. Coming up the M40 to get on the M42 it told me to get off for Warwick due to a delay. Turns out the M42 had been shut, and I'd been heading into many hours of stationary traffic. Sure it took a while to go through all sorts of villages, but they were still decent roads.
Ninehigh

posted on 19/7/15 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
I asked google maps once to direct me to the nearest chippy. It told me to turn east, head east, turn right, then west... At this point I started the car..

David Jenkins

posted on 19/7/15 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I tried Google Maps the first time I went to Sydney NSW - after going through the same tunnel 3 times (paying a toll each time) I just made an executive decision and went the way I thought was right. Shortly after Google Maps caught up and steered me to my destination. That's why I spent money on a new Australian satnav...

Every I try to use GM in the UK I end up with no phone signal...

blakep82

posted on 19/7/15 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, has anyone read the question in the op?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

David Jenkins

posted on 19/7/15 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

It would be a first if they did! The best thing about a forum post is the way the subject drifts over time...

Slimy38

posted on 19/7/15 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

It would be a first if they did! The best thing about a forum post is the way the subject drifts over time...

And yet the only time someone says 'off topic' is when a new post is started...

(Oh, that was somewhat off topic...)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.