Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Group buy: steering wheel button plate
rodgling

posted on 23/7/15 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Group buy: steering wheel button plate

I'm going to get a plate made up for my steering wheel buttons. I've done the CAD (see below) and will get it CNC'd out of carbon fibre, so it should look really nice.

Doing it this way means that there's a lump of tool setup cost, but per-unit cost is quite low.

So - if anyone wants one let me know. If I get one made I think it will cost about £40-50, this will drop a decent amount if I have more done.

Design: this is to suit the OMP Kubic wheel which has quite wide spokes, so it will work with most wheels. Has holes for 4 x 13mm buttons.

peter030371

posted on 23/7/15 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
If it had 8 holes for buttons I might have been interested but 4 is no good for me :-(

[Edited on 23/7/15 by peter030371]

loggyboy

posted on 23/7/15 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Might be interested, price would need to a lot lower as off the shelf ally ones are about £35.

[Edited on 23-7-15 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

rodgling

posted on 23/7/15 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I think even with only two or three it's probably going to be closer to £25, material cost is quite a small proportion compared to tooling / setup cost.

Plus it's CF so you could save literally several grams of weight :-)

Rosco86

posted on 23/7/15 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
i would say if you found a friendly laser cutter they shouldn't be costing you more than £10 but they wouldn't look as good as carbon

My Build Thread

DW100

posted on 23/7/15 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
You might need it cut from reasonably thick carbon to be able to get a radius on the edge that doesn't slice your hands as you turn the steering wheel.
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 23/7/15 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DW100
You might need it cut from reasonably thick carbon to be able to get a radius on the edge that doesn't slice your hands as you turn the steering wheel.

Was also thinking that. Plus you'd want to know the composition ie. 100% CF or glass backing. And the rear of the material would ideally have to be sanded smooth and uniform thickness throughout to make it nice. Sounds silly, but even 0.Xmm difference across the thickness of the material will have an effect on it, and the sandwiching of it between steering wheel and boss.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

rodgling

posted on 29/7/15 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Prototype turned up yesterday, 39 grams of CF goodness. Obviously the wires need tidying up but I think it will do the job nicely.

peter030371

posted on 29/7/15 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Who cut it for you? I might still get an 8 button version done for my wheel
rodgling

posted on 29/7/15 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Arc Angels. Very good turn around time - I sent them a DXF file, got this back a couple of days later.

They will do the design for you if you don't fancy doing the CAD yourself I think, obviously that will cost though.

peter030371

posted on 29/7/15 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
Arc Angels. Very good turn around time - I sent them a DXF file, got this back a couple of days later.

They will do the design for you if you don't fancy doing the CAD yourself I think, obviously that will cost though.

Cheers for that, I can do the design myself if I go down this route :-) What thickness CF have you gone for and does it flex much once bolted to the wheel?

rodgling

posted on 29/7/15 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Can't remember thickness, think about 4-5 mm. I didn't specify it, I just told them the application and they said "OK, we'll use this spec of CF". There is next to no flex at all, it's very stiff and more than strong enough.
peter030371

posted on 29/7/15 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
I will draw up what I need and give them a call then
lsdweb

posted on 29/7/15 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be interested. The off the shelf ones have a small hole near the switch hole for a cable tie to secure the cabling. Any chance this could be incorporated?

Ta

Wyn

FuryRebuild

posted on 29/7/15 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
did they laser or water jet cut it?

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

rodgling

posted on 29/7/15 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
I'd be interested. The off the shelf ones have a small hole near the switch hole for a cable tie to secure the cabling. Any chance this could be incorporated?

Ta

Wyn

It certainly could, just apply a drill to it? I don't plan to modify the design as then one-off costs go up.

It's CNC'd.

Price will be £29, assuming 2 or more people definitely want one. Currently trying to source buttons, but it looks like a set of 4 would be £12.

rodgling

posted on 2/8/15 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Installed it on my car today, looks good. Had a quick test drive and it seems to do the job nicely.

RogerM

posted on 3/8/15 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
They look very nice and definitely better than sinking a button into the spokes of the wheels as has previously been done on my car

One question, what on earth are you connecting 4 buttons to?

I've been thinking about it and I can only think of horn and lap button if you have a user operated timer on your dash.

rodgling

posted on 3/8/15 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RogerM

They're for controlling the dash (RaceTechnology Dash2Pro) - menu, select, up, down. Could probably make use of more buttons to be honest.

peter030371

posted on 10/8/15 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RogerM
They look very nice and definitely better than sinking a button into the spokes of the wheels as has previously been done on my car

I've been thinking about it and I can only think of horn and lap button if you have a user operated timer on your dash.

I will be fitting 8 wheel mounted buttons on my new Striker build 4 to controll the Dash2 as rodgling is doing and then left indicator, right indicator, horn and main beam.....if I could fit more in I would (lights, fog lights etc) but i need to leave some room for my hands inside the steering wheel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.