Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 3 bell housing to trannmission seal
trialsman

posted on 27/7/15 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Type 3 bell housing to trannmission seal

In the upper part of my bell housing where it mates up to the Type 3 British tranny is a square sided round rubber seal. It lines up with a hole in the tranny that appears to go into the tranny and just bottoms out. Is this an important seal? It is pretty flat against the bell housing (as opposed to standing proud) when up against the tranny and I seems useless. Why is it there and is it important to to replace. There are no seals available here in the US of A like it. I am trying to put it all together and just now noticed it. The recess is too deep to put an "O" ring in. Russ

[Edited on 7/27/2015 by trialsman]

Paul Turner

posted on 27/7/15 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
All type 2 gearboxes had an integral bellhousing. Which gearbox do you actually have?
trialsman

posted on 27/7/15 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry it is the type 3 with the separate BH
jollygreengiant

posted on 27/7/15 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
All I ever remember their being, between any Ford Gearbox and the bell-housing, is a thick Paper Gasket.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

trialsman

posted on 27/7/15 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
This one measures about 20 mm OD 15mm ID and 3.25 mm thick. It probably was 4 mm thick when new. It is black rubber and very ridged. It appears to have a metal core like larger seals do. For the life of me I can't see why it was there. Wish I was computer smart enough to post some pics.
trialsman

posted on 27/7/15 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Eureka!!! I think I found out what it is for. Looks like the shifter shaft is in the bottomed out hole and this seal keeps stuff from getting in there. So it looks like a bit of liquid gasket around it should seal it. Russ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.