Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Upper Ball Joint IVA cover needed
Irony

posted on 29/7/15 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Upper Ball Joint IVA cover needed

Been searching and looking for some upper ball joint IVA covers. Every post I can find on here the links are broken and nothing on eBay seems specific enough for the job.

Has anyone got any direct links to rubber covers that are known to work?

CosKev3

posted on 29/7/15 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Not seen anything that covers the whole joint properly.

Large nut covers with the centre cut out are ok for the nut.

If you can't take the sharp edge off the ball joint to get it to pass radius test most people use a piece of foam I think cable tied on.

kingster996

posted on 29/7/15 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I just used a large nut cover as suggested, with hole drilled. I even added it after assembly by splitting and cable-tying on. No pics though as it got binned at the post-IVA geo the other week.

I had nothing on the ball joint itself, just the nut, and it passed OK.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

Stot

posted on 29/7/15 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
The ball is usually tucked up quite close to the wheel so a 100MM ball wouldn't really reach it so you only really need to cover the nut.

I used some 40mm cable glands from Furore and zip tied them over but only because I didn't want to remove the ball joint from the wishbone to fit it.

Cheers
Stot

[Edited on 29/7/15 by Stot]

russbost

posted on 29/7/15 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
We do various boots that will cover top ball joint, on the Furore we use the same Transit joint that many Locost types use, we use this boot

link

but actually cut it open & use cable ties to secure it so it is completely removeable without needing to disassemble the ball joint

If you want to see the other boots/covers we have available

link here

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Neilwilson

posted on 29/7/15 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
SWA cable gland covers also work and are cheap.
SteveWallace

posted on 29/7/15 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to mention when we swapped messages the other day that the bit that covers the nut (as opposed to the ball joint) is a walking stick ferrule off e-bay with a hole cut in the end.

ferrule

Description
Description

Irony

posted on 29/7/15 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
Forgot to mention when we swapped messages the other day that the bit that covers the nut (as opposed to the ball joint) is a walking stick ferrule off e-bay with a hole cut in the end.

ferrule

Description
Description

You did give me one of those as you had some spare. I used them to cover the basis of the rear view mirrors!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.