Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Has anyone got a uk component list for a megajolt
rich201283

posted on 7/12/04 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Has anyone got a uk component list for a megajolt

Has anyone got a component list of ref numbers to buy in the uk?
wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 7/12/04 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
not yet it would appear. looking into it at the moment, may come up with one in near future. what would be best/most convienient company for all - cpc/maplin/rs/farnell?
keep you posted with progress. cheers

rich201283

posted on 7/12/04 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Megajolt components

Gonna go down to maplins to get a catalogue and look the parts up, il let you know when ive got some reference numbers
dblissett

posted on 7/12/04 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
mega jolt light

i have just purchased the whole kit of parts from bill shurvington for £38 i dident have a map sensor as i am going tps
i dident think it was worth the hassel of maplins cos this included the board
just arived today my wife cant understand why these bits cost so little compard to the full kit from somone like demon at £500
good luck dave

paulf

posted on 7/12/04 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
I also have decided to buy the kit from Bill shurvington, has he got them in stock? how long did delivery take?Did that price include the case?
I have just got an EDIS module coil and crank sensor from a sierra so just need kit and toothed wheel.
I didnt fancy trying to remove the sierra crank pulley at the time, but think i will go back and have a go as it seems the best option.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by dblissett
i have just purchased the whole kit of parts from bill shurvington for £38

dblissett

posted on 7/12/04 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
bill shurvinton

it took about a week but that included cashing my check
i have only the the complete parts for a board for megajolt running tps
the case is £25
i have read i practical performance car that you can buy a toothed wheel from a dohc ford for about £15 i will dig out the part number if you need it
cheers dave

Volvorsport

posted on 7/12/04 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
ive got a BOM for the MS stuff - i think if you get stuff from bill shurvington , you wont be disappointed , hes a top bloke .
James

posted on 7/12/04 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i dident have a map sensor as i am going tps

Have to admit I don't fully understand the relative pros/cons of map or tps. Could you make it clearer for the more retarded please!

Thanks,
James

Volvorsport

posted on 7/12/04 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
the ecu decides what timing to put in via TPS , rather than a MAP sensor value .

both theoretically should work fine , altho there will be subtle differences .

some people can run without TPS since that only is used for accel enrichment

dblissett

posted on 7/12/04 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
tps

hello james
i am just starting to learn about this stuff so if i am not spot on i am sure somone will take the piss
the timing of the sparks on a normal distributor car come from a combination of three inputs
input one static timing what we set with the timing light
input two timing advance from rpm (the bob weights in the distributor do this
input three the vacume advance this is the small pipe conected to the manifold that moves the plate the points sit on

with mapable you program what static and rpm advance you want this sorts out inputs one and two
for input three you can use a map sensor (it measures vacuume and converts this to a signal for the ecu to sort out the timing
or you can use a throtle postion sensor
this does the same thing as the map sensor but by calculation i think (this is the bit i am not sure about)
anyway my carbs already had a tps fitted so i am ussing it
as to the pros and cons i have no idea
which way is best
my feeling is which ever tps or map it must be eaisier to set up a modified engine with this system than a distributor
cheers dave

rich201283

posted on 7/12/04 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
bill shurvington contact

Has anyone got a contact number or contact for bill shurvington? so i can order the components off him
James

posted on 8/12/04 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
hello james
i am just starting to learn about this stuff so if i am not spot on i am sure somone will take the piss
the timing of the sparks on a normal distributor car come from a combination of three inputs
input one static timing what we set with the timing light
input two timing advance from rpm (the bob weights in the distributor do this
input three the vacume advance this is the small pipe conected to the manifold that moves the plate the points sit on

with mapable you program what static and rpm advance you want this sorts out inputs one and two
for input three you can use a map sensor (it measures vacuume and converts this to a signal for the ecu to sort out the timing
or you can use a throtle postion sensor
this does the same thing as the map sensor but by calculation i think (this is the bit i am not sure about)
anyway my carbs already had a tps fitted so i am ussing it
as to the pros and cons i have no idea
which way is best
my feeling is which ever tps or map it must be eaisier to set up a modified engine with this system than a distributor
cheers dave

I know all that stuff!

My point, is which to use- TPS or MAP? TPS sounds easier to attach to any system so I'll probably go with that but I'd like to know the advantages of each- or whether they are the same!

Cheers,
James

wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 8/12/04 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
ditto james.
map seems more common but tps sounds easier. also map pulses on single branch of 4branch manifold, so they says. getting ready to build the thing, so what inputs? anyone been there, one that?

bccox18

posted on 8/12/04 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
I'm also at the stage where I'm about to start building and have decided to go the MAP route and see how I get on.

From what I have read., the MAP sensor is easier to install when you have a single carb setup where there is usually a vacumn takeoff on the manifold which will give a good quality vacumn source.

The TPS route is more preferable for a multiple carb setup where it is more difficult to get a good vacumn source to drive the MAP. You can tap off one of the inlets, but pulsing is a big problem which will give a poor MAP reading.
It also seems to be easier to mount the TPS on the Weber 40/45's than on the single downdraft types.(I found it difficult to mount it effectively of my 38 DGAS)

For a good site on installing using TPS have a look here

http://www.cate1.co.uk/megajolt/index.php

Bob

PioneerX

posted on 8/12/04 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Guys,

After 11 hours of wiring, braket making & generally looking for the tool I just put down I got my engine to fire for the first time (took it from the scrap yard a year ago!). I have the MJLJ running on MAP on a four branch manifold for the Vx engine.

Basically to answer some of the questions, I personally believe that MAP gives you a better reading of actual engine load as the amount of vacum in the manifold varies depending on engine load & butterfly position. TPS sensors can only do butterfly position, but still give a fair indication of load.

The four branch thing can be a problem as ideally the MAP reading should be from all four intakes to maximise acuracy but most of all to minimise the pulsing effect. I've solved this by using the vacum take off from Cyl1 (take-off on the carb) and connected this to the Cyl4, which has the prt for the brake assist on it. I found that mondeos have a vacumn line to manifold connector that is excaly the right size to fit. These two points (Cyl1 & Cyl4) are connected together and then through an anti-pulse valve (also from the mondeo) before connecting to the MJLJ. This has given me a pritty clean MAP single.

I will try and post pictures on my website over the next few days.

paulf : you are more that welcome to come and nose around the installation, just drop me a u2u.

PioneerX (Simon)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chris Green

posted on 8/12/04 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
it took about a week but that included cashing my check
i have only the the complete parts for a board for megajolt running tps
the case is £25
i have read i practical performance car that you can buy a toothed wheel from a dohc ford for about £15 i will dig out the part number if you need it
cheers dave

The part number for the toothed wheel is Ford 1078767.
This is taken from the PPC mag.

dblissett

posted on 8/12/04 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
tps or map

i am using twin 40s and so with map i realy need to link all four inlet manifolds
to stop the pulsing if i did this i belive that it would be better because map measures what is happening in the intake
where as tps just calculates the engine load from throttle position and rpm
so its not quite as accurate but its a lot eaiser to fit and still alot better than a distributor
hope this helps you james
dave

garage19

posted on 9/12/04 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
The other advantage of using MAP is that it is a direct measure of air preasure/vacum. If you used TPS and say, changed your cams you would need to remap to recalibrate the amount of air the engine is consuming for a given throttle opening. I realise this is more related to fuel mapping than ignition.

PioneerX

posted on 10/12/04 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
All,

Photos of my MegoJolt installation are now on my website PioneerX Web

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.