New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oulton Park 13th October
Fandango

posted on 7/8/15 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Oulton Park 13th October

Hi all.

Just booked this via www.trackdays.co.uk

First time out in the Locost.

Just a few little jobs to do; install new belts and seats, relocate battery and switches.

Gonna get a new set of R888s

Anyone else from here going?

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

daniel mason

posted on 7/8/15 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Go steady through Druids at that time of year!
Fandango

posted on 7/8/15 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Is Druids the hairpin?

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

daniel mason

posted on 7/8/15 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
No the hairpins 'shell oils' don't worry about that. Just the exit of Druids is very very slippy if it's a bit green! I'd personally 'lift and coast' until your over the hump on the exit before picking up the throttle. Especially the first time out!
You will really enjoy it there.

gaz_gaz

posted on 7/8/15 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember you lift and coast at most corners Daniel :-)
only been to Oulton once and it was blinding.
slippy as hell in the morning and bright sunshine in the afternoon chasing after Jon Ison in that stinkingly quick car of his.

daniel mason

posted on 7/8/15 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
You do 'lift and Coast' but the hump is about 30 yards past corner exit gaz! And I'd stay off the gas until after that.
And I know you were there on a damp day as I lent you an exhaust to get past static noise test

daniel mason

posted on 7/8/15 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Oh and I got the day free of charge for being such a legend!
gaz_gaz

posted on 7/8/15 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
You do 'lift and Coast' but the hump is about 30 yards past corner exit gaz! And I'd stay off the gas until after that.
And I know you were there on a damp day as I lent you an exhaust to get past static noise test

hah I was only jesting mate.
And I lent you some plugs to get fired up. Bloody carbs.

you still going to Anglesey next month?

Fandango

posted on 7/8/15 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
No the hairpins 'shell oils' don't worry about that. Just the exit of Druids is very very slippy if it's a bit green! I'd personally 'lift and coast' until your over the hump on the exit before picking up the throttle. Especially the first time out!
You will really enjoy it there.

Ah yes, found it now. I know my way around the track, been there loads of times, (and been pointing the wrong way, once or twice, in the old MR2!), just never memorised the names of the corners.

CosKev3

posted on 8/8/15 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I would take a set of road tyres too in October.

When I went people on semi slicks only got a couple of hours in afternoon when they gained for running them, road tyres were way quicker/safer

Fandango

posted on 9/8/15 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
I would take a set of road tyres too in October.

When I went people on semi slicks only got a couple of hours in afternoon when they gained for running them, road tyres were way quicker/safer

Yes I have a spare set of wheels, so will also get a set of Yoko A539s if it is damp / cold.

Quite limited choice of tyres for my 13 inch wheels.

Anyone used anything other than Yokos in this size (185/60x13)?

Fandango

posted on 18/8/15 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Bought a set of Marshals, for use in the wet.

Mixed reviews, but limited choice in 13s. And cheap as chips, since my job is a buyer for a tyre wholesaler!

We will see.

AdamR20

posted on 21/8/15 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
They'll be fine, as long as all 4 are the same you'll have predictable handling at least, even if the grip isn't 'optimal'

You will have an awesome day - I instruct at Oulton and it's the best circuit in the country IMO, wet or dry.

Looks like the day is being run by Javelin - there's a list of attendees on the page if you want to check out who else is coming: http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/trackday/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1164itemid&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

JimSpencer

posted on 21/8/15 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Yes I have a spare set of wheels, so will also get a set of Yoko A539s if it is damp / cold.

Hi

Avon ZZR's in A24 compound or Kumho V70A are the weapons of choice - sizes more or less right, slightly lower profile if memory serves me right.

You shouldn't be finding that a harder tyre - such as the A539 - gives more grip in the damp / cold, quite the opposite in fact.
Only when you get to standing water where you need the tread to shift the water should it be a noticeable issue.

Fandango

posted on 21/8/15 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamR20
They'll be fine, as long as all 4 are the same you'll have predictable handling at least, even if the grip isn't 'optimal'

You will have an awesome day - I instruct at Oulton and it's the best circuit in the country IMO, wet or dry.

Looks like the day is being run by Javelin - there's a list of attendees on the page if you want to check out who else is coming: http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/trackday/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1164itemid&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

Cheers for that, there we are, evidently driving a "Locust"!

Fandango

posted on 21/8/15 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimSpencer
quote:

Hi

Avon ZZR's in A24 compound or Kumho V70A are the weapons of choice - sizes more or less right, slightly lower profile if memory serves me right.

You shouldn't be finding that a harder tyre - such as the A539 - gives more grip in the damp / cold, quite the opposite in fact.
Only when you get to standing water where you need the tread to shift the water should it be a noticeable issue.

So we now have 2 sets, 1 x Toyo R888 SG (soft), and the Marshal road tyres, which have a wet grip rating (grab your pinch of salt) of B

CosKev3

posted on 11/10/15 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Will be popping in to oulton on Tuesday if the weather's ok
Fandango

posted on 16/10/15 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Well, we were lucky with the weather, a totally dry day.

Not so lucky with the car, though.

First of all the throttle cable detached itself on the pedal end, so got towed off the track.

So fixed this, but the fix involved modifying the throttle stop, so the next breakage was the plastic cup end of the throttle cable.

So got towed off the track again, and threatened with black flag by guy from Javelin.

So we found a new cable in the shop at the track, installed it properly, and off I went for about 12 jolly laps. I had a great time, could push on very well in the corners on the R888s, but soon ran out of gearing on the straights (1.3 X-flow, with 4 speed box).

So I gave the car to my brother for a go, and he did just one lap, then pitted with electrical problem. We had had to push or jump start it all morning, so it seems we had a charging issue, and the battery finally had no more to give.

A few little jobs to do, then, and hope to be back at Llandow early November.

TimC

posted on 17/10/15 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fandango
.... but soon ran out of gearing on the straights (1.3 X-flow, with 4 speed box).

What diff are you using? The 750MC Locosts don't run out of gearing - lap record (Int) is a stonking 2:06.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.