Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Lotus type cars are bigger?
Tugchaser

posted on 11/8/15 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Which Lotus type cars are bigger?

This is going to sound totally mad to many of you but here goes. I am looking at a car that makes even short journeys an event. I have a friend with a 3 wheeler Morgan and that is just more fun than any super car that I have ever been in but to me the motor does not feel happy. I would describe it as "snatchy" at anything less than 2000rpm even though it is belt drive. There is also very little width in the pedal box when the pedals are fully forward. I also have knowledge of a Westfield and that ticks all the boxes except that I don't like the sound of a 4 cylinder engine very much.

So I am 6ft 3in (190cm) tall and I am looking at a Lotus 7 type car but I need the cockpit length of a modern Westfield or a wide bodied Caterham. It is not the width so much as my leg length and the size of my feet conflicting with the lack of pedal box width on the narrow bodied cars. I can sit in a standard Caterham if you throw out the modern seats & fit very thinly padded squabs & backrest, as was Chapmans intention in 1959, but I find the wide bodied cars much more comfortable.

I also intend to fit a 5+ cylinder engine and an automatic gearbox (yes really - did you know that 80% of Morgan Plus 8 sold are automatic) so I might need to widen the tunnel a little.

Which of the Lotus 7 type chassis should I be considering?

Birkin UK

posted on 11/8/15 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
You could look at the Birkin as the new XS3 is 70mm wider and 100mm longer than the standard chassis ( westy & Caterham )

I am 6ft 1 and with the seat back and peddle box ( adjustable ) down to the floor, I can not fully press the clutch and barely touch the peddles.
I am the new UK distributor for Birkin as of the 1st September 2015 and I will have the XS at the Total kit car live show at Brands for everyone to see.

Depending on engine and gearbox choice or just a rolling chassis ( loads of options with carbon fibre, paint, finishing touches )
then I can put a price together for you.

XS3 with the pic I have posted with the Orange and black combo, 175BHP Zetec with 15 inch black alloy's, full winter kit, heater, heated windscreen, 5 speed type 9 box, Subaru diff etc will be retailed at £25,000 plus VAT

that also includes 12 months tax, full tank of fuel and IVA completed and car registered.

07787 989 290

Terry Ingram

Irony

posted on 11/8/15 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Luego Viento is a large Seven Type car with tall drivers and big engines in mind. The biggest engine I have seen in person is a Dodge Viper V10 fitted to a Viento. Its approx 6inch wider and 12 longer than a standard Westfield/Caterham. I took mine for IVA yesterday. Check my archive for some more pics.

Description
Description

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 11/8/15 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
the Quantum Xtreme is bigger too, the wheel base width seems about the same I think, but the monocoque and seating area is definitely more accommodating especially for longer legs. http://www.quantumcars.eu/
Talon Motorsport

posted on 11/8/15 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
The longest cockpit you can put in a Haynes Roadster from seat back to pedal box is 6200mm as that is longest the material comes in without having to join it, how wide do you want it to be do you have a budget limit for the half shafts?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pojo

posted on 11/8/15 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the Luego Viento, plenty of room, wide footwell, long cockpit and an engine bay that is designed for a small block Chevy engine. Steve has a straight six bmw engine in, irony a v8 and my little v6 looks minute. Should be no probs with a 5 cylinder engine
Pojo

posted on 11/8/15 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the Luego Viento, plenty of room, wide footwell, long cockpit and an engine bay that is designed for a small block Chevy engine. Steve has a straight six bmw engine in, irony a v8 and my little v6 looks minute. Should be no probs with a 5 cylinder engine
Tugchaser

posted on 12/8/15 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you.

I am going to have a look at the Luago Viento.

Pojo

posted on 12/8/15 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Tug Chaser, where are you in the country? Always welcome to have a look at mine if you are in the area

posted on 12/8/15 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
If you are building then there's a way of increasing the footwell length by 75 to 100mm,
without changing any chassis dimensions.
I'm actually considering moving my seats forward as I may have overdone things.

If buying then you can only get what's available.

Cheers
Paul G

Tugchaser

posted on 12/8/15 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
In which car can I get an extra 75 -100mm? I have never heard of a Sotul & Googling it didn't help much either apart from an early 90's reference.

Pojo
You are about 100 miles from me. When I have made sure that I am not wasting your time I may well get back to you regarding a look at yours. Allowing for soon to be taken holidays that will take a few weeks. It is always interesting to talk to someone who has experience.

Thank you.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 12/8/15 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
To put a wolf amongst the sheep, the GTS W7DE is based upon McSorely +442 plans, which is 4" longer, 4" wider, and 2" taller than standard chassis. GTS themselves have gone under, but I believe they've been taken over and re-launched if you're looking to buy a kit and build. Else I think someone on here was selling one not too long ago (possibly MacBeast?) if you want to get in and drive.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Irony

posted on 12/8/15 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Your more than welcome to come and look at my Viento if I am closer in Lincoln.

Standard 7 vs the Ginormous Viento
Viento Versus Velocity (Size)
Viento Versus Velocity (Size)

David Jenkins

posted on 12/8/15 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
And the nice thing about the Viento is that it looks in proportion, even though it's bigger. Here's my ordinary Locost (yellow/silver) alongside a Viento (black) - you'll see that the shape and style is still good, even though it's a good bit larger.

barton mills
barton mills

posted on 12/8/15 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tugchaser
In which car can I get an extra 75 -100mm? I have never heard of a Sotul & Googling it didn't help much either apart from an early 90's reference.

Pojo
You are about 100 miles from me. When I have made sure that I am not wasting your time I may well get back to you regarding a look at yours. Allowing for soon to be taken holidays that will take a few weeks. It is always interesting to talk to someone who has experience.

Thank you.

Hi Tugchaser,

It's called a Suttol (almost Lotus backwards) and it's so rare that Google hasn't been told about it yet. Details of it will only become
public four minutes after it's blown up.

(note. I added the second "T" to it's name because David Jenkins kept calling it a "Sooooooo tol" )

What I did was to cut a hole in the end footwell plate and fit a box shape in, effectively extending the footwell length.
The bottom mounted pedals then pivot on the footwell end chassis cross member and the box allows room for M/C pushrods.
See pics. ( my box is stepped as the clutch required 50mm and the brakes 75mm. )

No pedal box to use up space and all the footwell space for your feet.

The car is standard Locost length and plus 4" in width to suit Sierra diff & driveshafts, and wide engine.

Paul G

Rescued attachment peds 007s.jpg
Rescued attachment peds 007s.jpg

Rescued attachment ped mount box 002s.jpg
Rescued attachment ped mount box 002s.jpg

Pojo

posted on 12/8/15 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Tugchaser

Just let me know if you want a look

David Jenkins

posted on 13/8/15 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

(note. I added the second "T" to it's name because David Jenkins kept calling it a "Sooooooo tol" )

So now it's a "sot all"

posted on 13/8/15 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by 907

So now it's a "sot all"

Tee he

SteveWallace

posted on 13/8/15 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Pojo

Thank you.

Also happy for you to look at mine if Nottingham is closer for you. If your looking for an automatic then a BMW engine might be a good choice as lots to choose from.

Tugchaser

posted on 19/8/15 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you for the suggestionsl. Sorry for the delay in replying but holidays etc etc etc.

I have plenty to consider here which will take a little time but if I decide on the Viento I will be taking up the kind offers of a look see.

Irony

posted on 19/8/15 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
If I were going automatic I would take a good hard look at a 1UZ-FE.
Tugchaser

posted on 19/8/15 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
The Toyota V8 looks lovely but that is uncharted territory which for a beginner is a bit scary and most probably horribly expensive even if someone gave me an engine/box.
Irony

posted on 19/8/15 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The Toyota V8 looks lovely but that is uncharted territory which for a beginner is a bit scary and most probably horribly expensive even if someone gave me an engine/box.

I don't think a 1uz fe would cost any more than a rover v8 would cost. However I understand about being a bit scared when it comes to engine choice and the engineering involved. I chose the rover v8 because lots of people have done it before and lots of help and advice is available. Then again when I started I had never put a spanner on a bolt. Now having built the engine in my car myself and nearly gotten it through Iva I wished I had been a bit more adventurous and chosen a 1uz fe. My car has been a huge learning experience and I have learnt more building it than I did studying for a degree. The car was cheaper as well.

[Edited on 19/8/15 by Irony]

Tugchaser

posted on 20/8/15 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
I do know what you mean but I see things slightly differently.

My basic instinct is to go with something I understand & which is repairable. I am sure that Toyota parts are available & that the motor is really good but I would hate to be in a position in 5 years time of having to repair one as I suspect that it would cost a fortune. Before someone tells me that replacement motors will be available just look how suddenly all the Sierra donors disappeared, where have all the Capris & Granadas gone, and just which Toyota Lexus V8's will simply bolt into where the old one came from, fit all the bits (I am thinking electronics as well as mechanical bits) & actually work properly?

I know that Rover parts are getting trickier which leads to me an inescapable conclusion. If I had to pick something which I fancied, for which the knowledge base is vast and for which spares will always be available and are cheap I would choose a traditional Chevrolet V8. I really do not care much about a few gallons a year. I have spoken to Luego and they don't think that I am mad, in fact quite the opposite, so I am investigating this idea.

Pojo

posted on 20/8/15 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
The Viento was designed to take a chevy 350 V8 and even then its not a tight squeeze, kinda wish i had gone that route myself. will be interesting to see if an autobox will fit
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.