Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seat belt mountings inboard rather than outboard?
villagehoppa

posted on 12/8/15 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Seat belt mountings inboard rather than outboard?

Hi All, I'm working on a design and it involves the seatbelts being mounted inboard (centre of car) rather than mounted outboard (sill side). I've been in a production car that has this ( can't remember which one though, old 80's I think?!) but wondered how this related when it came to the IVA? I've looked and there is no mention of which side it comes from as lang as there are belts. I'm planning on having a nice bit of structure around the centreline of the car so will have no issue strength, just wondered if anyone could shed some light if it would be possible please? Thanks in advance.. J

prawnabie

posted on 12/8/15 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Thats how Westfield have the inertia belts mounted
prawnabie

posted on 12/8/15 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Although looking at the way you have the belt routed there will be no inertia locking! the belt needs to exit the roller vertically (or however is was intended to in the donor) for the locking mech to work.
gremlin1234

posted on 12/8/15 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
there was a thread about this earlier this week
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=199648

edit: also the inertial reel must act on the over shoulder part of the belt, not the lap.

[Edited on 12/8/15 by gremlin1234]

40inches

posted on 12/8/15 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to do it that way, but thought that the driver/passenger didn't have as much security, from being thrown out sideways, as they did with the belt coming over the outside shoulder.
I have fitted the reel on the floor behind the seat, the belt going up and through the guide in the same position as the harness would be.

Slimy38

posted on 12/8/15 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
I was going to do it that way, but thought that the driver/passenger didn't have as much security, from being thrown out sideways, as they did with the belt coming over the outside shoulder.
I have fitted the reel on the floor behind the seat, the belt going up and through the guide in the same position as the harness would be.

This was my first idea, but now I'm putting my seats in I don't have enough clearance behind them. I'll lose at least three inches of legroom if I put it back there.

talkingcars

posted on 12/8/15 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
The seat belt reels in the MGF are mounted on the rear shelf with the inertia action working horizontally. Obviously you would need the strength in the chassis to mount it there but it gives an option.

Other makes may be available.

40inches

posted on 12/8/15 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:

This was my first idea, but now I'm putting my seats in I don't have enough clearance behind them. I'll lose at least three inches of legroom if I put it back there.

The reel fits nicely into the curve of the GRP shells, the seat will go back until it traps the belt against the bulkhead.

blakep82

posted on 12/8/15 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
E36 BMW coupés had these in the back seats, the reel built into the folding seat locking mechanism. Should be easy enough to adapt?

[Edited on 12/8/15 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Slimy38

posted on 12/8/15 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:

The reel fits nicely into the curve of the GRP shells, the seat will go back until it traps the belt against the bulkhead.

That's ok for you, but I have thick leather seats going in mine!

gremlin1234

posted on 12/8/15 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
it's possible to get reels that are adjustable for different positions.
see
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RB7355SA

Angel Acevedo

posted on 13/8/15 at 04:15 AM Reply With Quote
Even though it may be possible to install with Inertia Reels inboard, I would prefer not to.
This because I think that during a roll over Centrifuge (sp?) force may cause you to slip under the shoulder belt.
But that is just me...
Hope this point of view gets analyzed by someone with higher knowledge.
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 13/8/15 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
Even though it may be possible to install with Inertia Reels inboard, I would prefer not to.
This because I think that during a roll over Centrifuge (sp?) force may cause you to slip under the shoulder belt.
But that is just me...
Hope this point of view gets analyzed by someone with higher knowledge.
AA

If you've ever seen crash test videos on youtube you'll see that either way round your body slips out. Only the lap belt (or the side of the car) seems to make any difference to hold a person in. The shoulder belt seems most effective for front impacts.

The setup of the average 7 car does limit rollover though. I believe that while there have been some airborne antics reported the majority of accidents involve an impact where the car stays sunny side up.

villagehoppa

posted on 13/8/15 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Fantastic, great reply's, thank you... So it's fine for IVA then which was my main concern.. Thanks again..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.