Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Improving electrical contact in plugs
blakep82

posted on 14/8/15 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Improving electrical contact in plugs

Sooo, the air bag light is on in my old car (selling soon now I got a new one) turns out its the airbag plug under the seat, the wires get stretched when the seats all the way back allegedly
A fix is to cut the plugs off and reconnect with spade terminals, or solder and heat shrink.
I'm wondering tho, Vaseline gets put on sealed plugs, is this to keep water out, or does it help conductivity? Would a first try of putting a little in the connector help, or a waste of time? The seats not as easy but take out as they make it on line

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

britishtrident

posted on 14/8/15 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of manufacturers service bulletin suggest just using WD40 for this problem but it never gave any longer lasting results in my experience
and Silicone grease didn't prove any more satisfactory.

I have use a product called "Corrosion Gone!" on troublesome rear light connectors that were triggering bulb failures indications but it was hideously expensive and proved to have a short shelf life once opened.

On some of TST ( US automotive technicians) web semminars on Youtube I have heard a compound mentioned for unreliable sensor connections but I can't remember they name of the product.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Staple balls

posted on 14/8/15 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
It's just to keep the water out, and aid assembly, dielectric grease is the proper stuff for the job. Neither do any conducting.

Ultimately it sounds like you'd be better to splice in another 4" of cable, if you care that much, just to make sure it never gets pulled tight again.

Oh, and try not to short anything while you work, that'll properly ruin your day.

blakep82

posted on 14/8/15 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Not a case of caring, its a case of getting the airbag light to stay off till it's sold
I'm suspecting a wire is broken, so adding some wire in may be the way to go, along with some some spade connectors.
I've been putting the job off specifically because of not wanting to short anything out

I just remembered stuff about putting petroleum jelly on battery terminals, always assumed it was conductivity but anti corrosion makes more sense

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Staple balls

posted on 14/8/15 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember reading you need ~5 minutes with no battery to let the capacitors discharge enough to be safe to work on airbags (we had the same issue on our blingo)

But 24 hours would personally make me not cr@p myself while I was working.

blakep82

posted on 14/8/15 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I tend to wait a good few hours, then do everything at arms length, with my eves closed lol. Thing is, if its giving intermittent faults in the plug, it would have blown up by now

Staple balls

posted on 14/8/15 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Brown trousers and safety squinting - The professional's choice™
maccmike

posted on 14/8/15 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Un plug the air bag and put 3ohm resistor in.
MikeRJ

posted on 14/8/15 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Staple balls
Brown trousers and safety squinting - The professional's choice™

trextr7monkey

posted on 14/8/15 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Get some contra lube from Maplins used it on lots of dodgy and aged connections with good results as indicated by an absence of breakdowns!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

britishtrident

posted on 14/8/15 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike

3 ohm is virtually a dead short, airbag control units usually test on start up for 100 to 400 ohm resistance anything outside this trigger the warning light.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

rusty nuts

posted on 14/8/15 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Contralube connector protector
maccmike

posted on 14/8/15 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike

3 ohm is virtually a dead short, airbag control units usually test on start up for 100 to 400 ohm resistance anything outside this trigger the warning light.

No it wont. Iv recently done it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.