Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New toy (two wheels)
ChrisW

posted on 19/8/15 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
New toy (two wheels)

Really pleased with it. Can't wait to take it out for a ride!

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 19/8/15 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice, Chris.
I keep looking at modern (as opposed to the classics sat in the shed) two wheelers and Yammies are at the top of the list.
One day.....
Safe riding.
Cheers, Pewe10

craig5

posted on 19/8/15 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
How u finding the throttle?
owelly

posted on 19/8/15 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Usually found on the end of the right-hand handlebar.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 19/8/15 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig5
How u finding the throttle?

Not ridden it yet other than round the garden! (no license yet) However apparently the snatchiness of the throttle is 'fixed' by a software update.

Also I've been told that the snatchy throttle is only an issue in A mode which is the sport mode. Those people who moan that it is hard to ride around town in A mode are doing it wrong; that's what Standard (or even B) mode is for!

Chris

My gaff my rules

Shooter63

posted on 19/8/15 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote

I've just sold my toy

Shooter

craig5

posted on 20/8/15 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
I know it's not a sportsbike but that's a lots of engine for 1st bike so take time and best advice is alwYs look as far down the road as you can see and never right in front of u in corner or u will drift into next lane
craig5

posted on 20/8/15 at 06:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Usually found on the end of the right-hand handlebar.

There's always 1 div in the pack

pewe

posted on 20/8/15 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I know it's not a sportsbike but that's a lots of engine for 1st bike so take time and best advice is alwYs look as far down the road as you can see and never right in front of u in corner or u will drift into next lane

If you haven't already read it the Police Motorcycle Riders Manual is very worthwhile.
Most of it obvious but you can't have enough knowledge.
I reckon most times I'm out there's someone who either doesn't see or ignores me.
Cheers, Pewe ..10

alex1991

posted on 20/8/15 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
I did my CBT on a 500cc bike, and then got straight on a big bike (850cc). It's been fine so I wouldn't worry about it, if anything they are easier to ride than the light and gutless 125's.
craig5

posted on 20/8/15 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I always advices if asked to go with either 400 or 600 as you can learn alot on them without too much mid range
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 20/8/15 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
As others above have said, I did my direct access course and went straight onto a "big bike". Definitely glad I did. I learnt on a Honda 125 for the CBT, then a Kawasaki 500 for a day to learn about bigger bikes, then finished and did my tests on an ER-6N (with a whopping 70BHP).

After I passed Module A & B (first time!), my first bike was a 1999 CBR600 F(X) 595cc carb'd model with 115BHP, and it's a whole different world from learning. It's a sports tourer rather than the RR version, but nothing like what you'll be learning on. Being of the "larger" variety of man, it's got plenty of power and pulls away but still relatively forgiving.

All I can say two years down the line, is enjoy yourself, but it's always a good idea to treat every other road user as if they're out to get you. Sounds morbid, but it really makes you focus (and is sometimes true!).

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

craig5

posted on 20/8/15 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
get on some track days days too ur riding will come on leaps and bounds and if u go ty croes chances are I will be there :-)
MikeRJ

posted on 20/8/15 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Also I've been told that the snatchy throttle is only an issue in A mode which is the sport mode. Those people who moan that it is hard to ride around town in A mode are doing it wrong; that's what Standard (or even B) mode is for!

Chris

I can't agree with that, you shouldn't need to keep changing modes when you get into or out of traffic. With a ride-by-wire throttle system there's no excuse for the throttle to be snatchy.

Anyway, throttle gripes aside I really like the MT-09 though I think I would have to sort the suspension out if I bought one. I really like V-Twins, but having had a Benelli Tornado for 18 months or so I reckon three is the optimal number of cylinders for a bike

craig5

posted on 20/8/15 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
There is a fault with the throttle and Yamaha has meant to have sorted it with remapping
ChrisW

posted on 21/8/15 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I passed both mod 1 and mod 2 first attempt yesterday at Oxford so was straight out on the MT-09 late afternoon. What a lovely ride, a million miles from the 125 and much more comfortable than the CBF600 I was training on last weekend and did the test on. One thing I immediately noticed was how much wider the bars are on the MT-09. I'm not sure if it's just the bars or a combination of other things but it feels much more confident on the road.

At the moment I'm very slow on it, probably no quicker than I was on the 125, but I guess that's just me gaining experience of how much grip it has and having the confidence to lean it right over.

Anyway, a few replies to your comments.....

quote:
Originally posted by pewe
If you haven't already read it the Police Motorcycle Riders Manual is very worthwhile.

I've not read it, but I have a mate who is a Police trainer who is going to ride out with me and give me some coaching. First ride booked for Sunday.

quote:
I always advices if asked to go with either 400 or 600 as you can learn alot on them without too much mid range

To do the DAS you have to use a >600cc bike, otherwise you end up with a power restriction. The CBF600 felt like a rocket after the 125 (first big bike I have ridden) and the MT-09 has half as much power again and is 3/4 of the weight!

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
As others above have said, I did my direct access course and went straight onto a "big bike". Definitely glad I did. I learnt on a Honda 125 for the CBT, then a Kawasaki 500 for a day to learn about bigger bikes, then finished and did my tests on an ER-6N (with a whopping 70BHP).

I seriously looked at the ER-6N. Dirt cheap bike, looks good, and Kawasaki offer 0% finance on it so no need to even spend your own money. I was ready to put a deposit down on one but was talked out of it by the local dealer who said (paraphrased) that if all I was using it for was a weekend toy I would get bored of it too quickly and that the 6N was more suited to commuting. No idea whether that's true, but as he had the opportunity to sell me a bike there and then I can't see why he would say that if it wasn't true.

Also being quite a large guy (6'4" and 20 stone) the 6N felt a little small. Same with the MT-07 and the Street Triple which I also really liked. On all of those my knees didn't quite fit into the scallops on the tank. The MT-09 is a much bigger bike and gives me a good inch of space between my knee and the tank, plus has a bit more power of course.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
I can't agree with that, you shouldn't need to keep changing modes when you get into or out of traffic. With a ride-by-wire throttle system there's no excuse for the throttle to be snatchy.

I think the opposite. It comes on in standard mode every time which is apparently suitable for all types of riding. If you want to numb it down for rain, easy town driving, or if you are a beginner like me put it in B. It's only two taps of a button by your right thumb. If you want to nail it, put it in A. You can't exactly blame Yamaha for making sport mode too aggressive to be used in town. To me it sounds perfectly logical.

My RS6 is the same. I wouldn't (it would be very hard to) drive it in traffic in sport mode, you would be in the boot of the car in front. It's perfectly fast in standard, but if you do come to a bit of open road (or a Porsche who thinks he's quick!) and think 'I want to absolutely nail it' it's 1 click and you are away.

However as I understand it, Yamaha have toned down Standard mode a little to counter the criticism. It seems fine to me in either standard or B. I've not dared put it in A yet!

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
All I can say two years down the line, is enjoy yourself, but it's always a good idea to treat every other road user as if they're out to get you. Sounds morbid, but it really makes you focus (and is sometimes true!).

That's exactly the line I'm taking. Assume every driver is going to pull out in front of you, that you are invisible to other road users, and (like you say) everyone wants to knock you off. It's worked so far on the 125 so fingers crossed it will be the same on the new one!

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.