Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ebay Hydraulic Presses - Adequate
micksalt

posted on 21/8/15 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Ebay Hydraulic Presses - Adequate

Has anybody had any experience of the cheap hydraulic presses you get on eBay that look like a modified bottle jack in a frame ( eBay link)? I appreciate they're not going to press as squarely as a proper press from the likes of Machine Mart, but are they adequate for the odd bearing replacement etc... ?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited on 21/8/2015 by micksalt]

[Edited on 21/8/2015 by micksalt]

sdh2903

posted on 21/8/15 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah adequate Is a good description. I've had to replace the bottle jack on mine after 12 months use with one from machine mart. But only 20 quid for a new jack. I've done plenty o it to pay for itself including removing all the bearings and replacing on the mx5 donor. I've also done loads of tintop bushes and bearings too with no problems.
Slimy38

posted on 21/8/15 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Given that they are essentially a modified bottle jack, surely there is scope for a DIY solution? Obviously you'd need some pretty meaty metal, but there's not much to them.
v8james

posted on 21/8/15 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have the 12ton version, works well.
micksalt

posted on 26/8/15 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Given that they are essentially a modified bottle jack, surely there is scope for a DIY solution? Obviously you'd need some pretty meaty metal, but there's not much to them.

I know a few people on this forum build their own, presumably to a similar design.

dhutch

posted on 26/8/15 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Ton-Hydraulic-press-/331637596016?hash=item4d37241f70
blakep82

posted on 26/8/15 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Oven and a freezer for bearing replacement for me

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

micksalt

posted on 26/8/15 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

I've heard of this technique. I understand that you put the upright in the oven, then the bearing in the freezer. What temperature are we looking for the oven. Also, the second step, is it safe to put the upright and bearing combination in the oven whilst the hub is in the freezer, and does that work? I don't need a press to get the old bearings out because I've already sorted that, and I can press bushes in with my vice.

rusty nuts

posted on 26/8/15 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I would look out for a quality British made press like an EPCO , miles better than the cheap crap available these days and can be repaired easily
Slimy38

posted on 26/8/15 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by micksalt
quote:

I've heard of this technique. I understand that you put the upright in the oven, then the bearing in the freezer. What temperature are we looking for the oven. Also, the second step, is it safe to put the upright and bearing combination in the oven whilst the hub is in the freezer, and does that work? I don't need a press to get the old bearings out because I've already sorted that, and I can press bushes in with my vice.

I am fairly sure (but I stand to be corrected) that a regular domestic oven can't get an upright hot enough to do damage to a block of metal.

I didn't think the hub was a press fit, I thought it was only the bearing to upright that needed pressing?

blakep82

posted on 26/8/15 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by micksalt
quote:

Last week I fitted an interference fit abs ring to a brake disc, no room in the freezer for the disc, so abs ring in the oven on the maximum (250°c in mine) for about 20 minutes I think, season with salt and pepper took it out to the brake disc, dropped it on, and it was big enough to rattle slightly, and as it cooled in a few minutes it shrunk down and gripped tight.
Its worth a try before spending money on tools you'll not use very often. Or go to a garage and ask for a shot of their press
As long as there's no plastic seals in the bearing, there's no reason for it to be unsafe, the grease may be an issue tho.
It works very well, but used with caution and care

Slimy38's right, you need about 1500° to start melting steel, so an oven won't damage, but will allow it to expand a little. Might need to go in for a long time to heat it up properly tho

[Edited on 26/8/15 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

micksalt

posted on 27/8/15 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38I didn't think the hub was a press fit, I thought it was only the bearing to upright that needed pressing?

I just assumed it would be because the inner bearing race gets stuck to the hub when you push it out. Just to check, are we all still talking about the MX-5 upright?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.