Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec 2.0 Catch tank set up?
ProjectSi

posted on 22/8/15 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec 2.0 Catch tank set up?

Bought myself a catch tank but I'm a little unsure on how to set it up. Made a post about oil usage the other day and a few commented on how they set them up but I can't access the post. Looking at the engine, there is a breather at the front of the block below the exhaust manifold that has a pipe that runs into the inlet. Then there is a pipe on top of the cam cover, is running this pipe from cam cover to catch tank, then venting to atmosphere enough? Or should I run a T piece, block to cam cover then to catch tank? The catch tank I've bought only has two inlet/outlet. I'm a little uneducated in this field but if someone could shed some light on the best way?
anthony1

posted on 23/8/15 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
catch tank.....

I have just reached the same point.........I was going to join the two breather pipes with a T piece and then to one of the pipes on the catch tank. Then fit a small K&N type breather to the other. At the moment the two breather pipes have a mini breather each. Sure this set up will be fine??
jeffw

posted on 23/8/15 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Do not T them together. Run two separate lines to the catch tank. If you T them you are potentially putting crankcase pressure into the cam-cover, which can't be a good idea.

matt5964

posted on 23/8/15 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
if it helps the photos of my set up are here (if I have managed to do it correctly or in my photo archive

catch can 1
catch can 1

catch can 2
catch can 2

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

matt5964

posted on 23/8/15 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
forgot to mention I have a blanking plate on the other breather so only have the Cam cover side.

anthony1

posted on 23/8/15 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Not to tee....

Good thinking.........not to tee the pipes , all crank fumes etc. coming from one exit point , you presumably have no issues with blocking the lower breather......
matt5964

posted on 23/8/15 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Non at all, engine built by dunnell, done several track days and lots of road miles with no problems

ProjectSi

posted on 23/8/15 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies, my main concern is that the catch tank doesn't have a filter, just two inlet/outlet so if I ran two separate pipes how would it breathe? Also blocking the PVC looks like a nut ache in fwd cause the exhaust manifold sits right above it?
Andybarbet

posted on 23/8/15 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a cheap catch tank for £20.

It came with 2 sets of barbs, 2 large ones & 2 smaller ones so I am using the smaller ones for the pipes to go on & I drilled & tapped the catch tank lid so that I could fit one of the bigger barbs on top. Got a small filter that fitted onto the top barb for about £3.50.

Job done :-)

oil catch tank
oil catch tank

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

ProjectSi

posted on 23/8/15 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet
I bought a cheap catch tank for £20.

It came with 2 sets of barbs, 2 large ones & 2 smaller ones so I am using the smaller ones for the pipes to go on & I drilled & tapped the catch tank lid so that I could fit one of the bigger barbs on top. Got a small filter that fitted onto the top barb for about £3.50.

Job done :-)

oil catch tank
oil catch tank

Pretty much the same as mine, just bought a cheapo so will try what you've done there, how have you routed your pipes? Is there a specific inlet/outlet pipe on these or just pipe them in wherever?

jeffw

posted on 23/8/15 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Please don't block the crankcase breather, it is there for a reason. Use the standard Blacktop breather unit but remove the valve. Pipe that to the catch tank and run another hose from the camcover.

matt5964

posted on 23/8/15 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Please don't block the crankcase breather, it is there for a reason. Use the standard Blacktop breather unit but remove the valve. Pipe that to the catch tank and run another hose from the camcover.

Why do all the main zetec engin tuners block it off then?

ProjectSi

posted on 23/8/15 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Mines a silver top, don't know if they're different, if I pipe the from of the block and can cover what about the pipe on the side of inlet manifold where the pipe from the block goes?

jeffw

posted on 23/8/15 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt5964
quote:

Well Raceline & Omex certainly don't. Which 'main' tuner where you refering to?

matt5964

posted on 23/8/15 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by matt5964
quote:

Well Raceline & Omex certainly don't. Which 'main' tuner where you refering to?

Dunnell, provided engines for most ford based series
Scholler
Ric wood

When I spoke to raceline at the time of getting my engin sorted was not mentioned and no comments made after I had it done and got there sump fitted.

As said have done several track days and may road mile with no issues or leaks.

May be different with forced induction due to increased pressures

jeffw

posted on 23/8/15 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Why would you so this when the blacktop unit is so effective. It makes no sense to block the crankcase breather. Are you sure Scholar and Dunnell are not expecting dry sumped engines which would breath through that?

But, fill your boots, your engine.

matt5964

posted on 23/8/15 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
All engine were spec'ed wet sump, as I did not wat to go dry.

jeffw

posted on 23/8/15 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ProjectSi
quote:

Mines a silver top, don't know if they're different, if I pipe the from of the block and can cover what about the pipe on the side of inlet manifold where the pipe from the block goes?

You need to blank off the hole in the inlet manifold. The stock system works of manifold vacuum to pull the gas out of the crankcase and send it through the combustion chamber. This why you need to remove the valve from the Blacktop breather. Get hold of the Blacktop one and not the Silvertop unit as it is more efficient.

If someone wants a very nice, redundant, blanking plate I've got one in the garage but on your own head be it.

ProjectSi

posted on 23/8/15 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ProjectSi
quote:

You need to blank off the hole in the inlet manifold. The stock system works of manifold vacuum to pull the gas out of the crankcase and send it through the combustion chamber. This why you need to remove the valve from the Blacktop breather. Get hold of the Blacktop one and not the Silvertop unit as it is more efficient.

If someone wants a very nice, redundant, blanking plate I've got one in the garage but on your own head be it.

Right I'm a complete noob when it comes to this, is a plug or cap enough to blank the inlet port? Also, when you refer to "valve" is this the spring loaded part in the piping to the block/inlet or is the valve what is actually attached to the block below the exhaust manifold? I have two PCV pipes, one has a small spring loaded valve and one has a larger one? Is this what you're referring to, again sorry for the questions but just want to know how it works so I plum it in right?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.