Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Greece holiday
cerbera

posted on 3/9/15 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Greece holiday

We're going to Crete in October and usually just take a card and get cash out of the ATM. Any one been since the height of the financial issues who can confirm whether or not getting cash out of the machine will be an issue.

Ta in advance.

coozer

posted on 3/9/15 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
We never take cards, only cash.

I do not trust the ATMS, not that they are corrupt or anything just the hidden cross bank charges.

These days we only take cash. We buy our euros during the winter when they are usually a but higher near the 1.40 mark.

And, the Greek islands used to one of our favourite nice places but now they are being invaded from Libya and we are going to Cape Verdi instead...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Toys2

posted on 3/9/15 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi I went to Crete this August, although we took cash, we had no problems with ATM's when we needed a top up
We typically withdrew about 200 or 300 Euro each time.
The only thing that we noticed is that certain places would only take cash (no credit cards) ..typically smaller restaurants as they have to pay their suppliers in cash

cerbera

posted on 3/9/15 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
We never take cards, only cash.

I do not trust the ATMS, not that they are corrupt or anything just the hidden cross bank charges.

These days we only take cash. We buy our euros during the winter when they are usually a but higher near the 1.40 mark.

And, the Greek islands used to one of our favourite nice places but now they are being invaded from Libya and we are going to Cape Verdi instead...

I use the Halifax Clarity card, look it up. I find it better than taking a large wedge of cash with me.
Enjoy Cape Verdi.

Thanks Toys2, that was the kind of info I was after.

cliftyhanger

posted on 4/9/15 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
Likewise we NEVEr take cash anywhere, exception being any left over from previous trip. The clarity card is the way forward. We take our nationwide debit as a backup (similar sort of deal. but no purchases made, only withdrawals)
Check out he advice on MSE.

r1_pete

posted on 4/9/15 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
We were in Hersonissos in June, no problems with cash machines, but as said, a lot of places will tell you their card machine isn't working, which seems to be a parallel cash economy, a couple of times my Mrs. told stores to put goods back on the shelf if she couldn't pay with the card, miraculously the machine started working in the face of a lost sale......

ETA we're off to Corfu soon, again we'll be taking a small amount of cash and credit/debit cards.

[Edited on 4/9/15 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cerbera

posted on 4/9/15 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Pete.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.