Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: O/T: How do I fix this bath panel
James

posted on 4/9/15 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
O/T: How do I fix this bath panel

Greetings all,

How do I fix the bottom side of this bath panel?

[img] Bath panel
Bath panel
[/img]

The top has a flange that tucks up inside the lip of the bath. The bottom however... I could put some sort of batten on the floor and screw through but the panel is curved so it'll distort the panel and there'll be visible screws (with covers).
I suppose I could screw downwards into the floor through the return, but only at the one end of the bath!

My other idea is some sort of batten with a rebate cut into the bottom/outer corner and the bath panel return 'tucks' under it... but how will that fix?
There must be a better way that allows it to be removed for maintenance etc.

Help!

Thanks!
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

mcerd1

posted on 4/9/15 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
easiest way I can think of is to screw an alloy channel to the floor for it to sit in

you'd see it but it would just look like a bit of trim that would match things like the shower screen etc... (or you can always paint it white if need be)

[Edited on 4/9/2015 by mcerd1]

-

chris

posted on 4/9/15 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
fitting those plastic panels are like trying to wrestle an aligaitor cant beat a wooden panel
ste

posted on 4/9/15 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is attached with screws and white caps to a batten on the floor under the bath
cliftyhanger

posted on 4/9/15 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
A bead of silicone to seal it to the floor. After all, how often do you delve under a bath?

Edit and I stick a batten to the floor behind, again with silicone.

[Edited on 4/9/15 by cliftyhanger]

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 4/9/15 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Batten behind the panel and painted batten (skirting board) infront and screwed through to batten at rear.
owelly

posted on 4/9/15 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Screw a batten to the floor but space it off the deck so the lip of the panel slides under the batten. Then use silicon to clag it on, or Velcro.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 4/9/15 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
hook and loop tape (Velcro) on the inside of the panel, and on a baton behind
Irony

posted on 4/9/15 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
I pushed my bath panel into position and tucked it up into inside of the bath moulding. I then wedged some 2x1 timber underneath the Bath panel. I trimmed the 2x1 until it was a tight fit and then stained it to match the panel. I then used silicone to seal the lot. If the thing is sufficiently snug the silicone will hold it.
loggyboy

posted on 4/9/15 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Our FG bath panel came with clips that screw to a batten or wall and pinch the edge of the panel.

Mistral Motorsport

craig1410

posted on 4/9/15 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
I worked some magic on my bath with some magnetic fasteners I got from B&Q.
cliftyhanger

posted on 5/9/15 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Been thinking!
This bath panel malarky is always a faff. I always have to cut panels down when retro fitting, and then all this stuff having to attach them.

I think there is room for a attaching system in the market! Get on Dragons Den and make a fortune.....

theprisioner

posted on 5/9/15 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
I have tried to fit many of these and never achieved it without a baton on the floor type approach. The regular fitters of these use silicone (vasy quantities) . They are c..p, the ones that work best mechanically are wooden but don't last. I have used t&g either wood (treated) or uPVC (which is water proof) to great effect. (9 years as an odd job man).

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

coyoteboy

posted on 5/9/15 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Use bath panel as template for curve, router curve into batten, screw batten down, screw panel to batten, caps on screws.?

jacko

posted on 5/9/15 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
My b&q bath came with clips you screw to the floor and the lip on the side slides into them
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hodor

posted on 5/9/15 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
I threw the plastic panel away and fitted some MDF and tiled it the same as the bathroom walls. Never getting back under the bath, but looks good.
theprisioner

posted on 6/9/15 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Right decision in my book.

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

mcerd1

posted on 7/9/15 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hodor
I threw the plastic panel away and fitted some MDF and tiled it the same as the bathroom walls. Never getting back under the bath, but looks good.

Mine is tiled onto ply, but with a removable panel to get to the drain / taps
The removable bit is held on with screws through the tiles (with some covers to make them look better) its sized to match the tiles and its got silicone instead of grout around it

Bit of a faf to make but it means I should only need to redo the silicone if I need under the bath...

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.